Thread: 1962 R60/2 Price

Alldwayray

1962 R60/2 Price

I am an airhead newbie and looking into this running but not perfect condition R60/2.

Speedo was fixed and have a new engine done by a dealer in the 70s (currently 50K miles) but also have the original engine and bucket seat.

What would you pay for it?
    Last edited by alldwayray; 02-27-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Is that 50k miles on the new engine, or... do you know how many are on the new engine? Because these bikes don't have an oil filter like the later bikes, and they need a bottom end service in the neighborhood of 50k miles.

Read this:
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/slingers.htm

Beyond that, the prices on the "/2"s have been going way up... but mostly for bikes that have matching frame and engine numbers that have been perfectly restored. In the last year, there have been R60/2s that have gotten $20k at auction. OTOH, a beater with non-matching numbers that barely runs and is missing parts and has modifications and bodges probably isn't worth $2k.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Also depends on what you want to do with the bike. A rule of thumb that I heard when I first got into my R69S was that you might pay $5K for a bike, spend $5K to mechanically restore it, and then another $5K to do a ground up restoration. My numbers to get through the mechanical restoration were higher than that 5 years ago, and I'm sure are higher today.

Now this was just stupid, but look what someone wanted $5K for on ebay...item 270533308394. Apparently no one saw it the same way he did!!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Alldwayray
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Is that 50k miles on the new engine, or... do you know how many are on the new engine? Because these bikes don't have an oil filter like the later bikes, and they need a bottom end service in the neighborhood of 50k miles.

Read this:
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/slingers.htm

Beyond that, the prices on the "/2"s have been going way up... but mostly for bikes that have matching frame and engine numbers that have been perfectly restored. In the last year, there have been R60/2s that have gotten $20k at auction. OTOH, a beater with non-matching numbers that barely runs and is missing parts and has modifications and bodges probably isn't worth $2k.
    It running a little over 50K on the new motor.

Alldwayray
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

Now this was just stupid, but look what someone wanted $5K for on ebay...item 270533308394. Apparently no one saw it the same way he did!!!
    At least you do not need to worry about matching engine number and you can easily hang on the garage with your bicycle rack.

Quote Originally Posted by alldwayray View Post
    At least you do not need to worry about matching engine number and you can easily hang on the garage with your bicycle rack.
    Ha! You can then fit two of these in the garage in place of one!!

On the other end of the scale, someone posted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIME-...item45f14b6808

The prices can be all over the map...depends on what you're willing to jump in on. Small $$ will mean more wrenching and parts buying before you can ride it...more $$. Big $$$$ up front means you can probably ride right away. Of course, there's still the overriding concern about the state of the bottom end and the slingers. If there's doubt about when/if they were done, one really must get them cleaned sooner than later.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Alldwayray
    Thanks for all your replies. You all gave me valuable information that I can use in the future in search of my first project bike. The deal last weekend did not go through because of the high mileage.

Here's a datapoint...this will probably go fast!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1621639922.html

That post has been deleted, 12 hours later...yep, it DID go fast!!

You did not post any photos of the bike, so one really cannot make any suggestion. Moreover, I would not estimate the price without seeing it and riding it.

The bottom line is what buyers asking your question do not want to hear: It is the value that a willing seller and willing buyer agree to. Anything else is not really very relevant.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2