Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1962 R60/2 Price

  1. #1
    Alldwayray
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    4

    1962 R60/2 Price

    I am an airhead newbie and looking into this running but not perfect condition R60/2.

    Speedo was fixed and have a new engine done by a dealer in the 70s (currently 50K miles) but also have the original engine and bucket seat.

    What would you pay for it?
    Last edited by alldwayray; 02-27-2010 at 04:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,573
    Is that 50k miles on the new engine, or... do you know how many are on the new engine? Because these bikes don't have an oil filter like the later bikes, and they need a bottom end service in the neighborhood of 50k miles.

    Read this:
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/slingers.htm

    Beyond that, the prices on the "/2"s have been going way up... but mostly for bikes that have matching frame and engine numbers that have been perfectly restored. In the last year, there have been R60/2s that have gotten $20k at auction. OTOH, a beater with non-matching numbers that barely runs and is missing parts and has modifications and bodges probably isn't worth $2k.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,537
    Also depends on what you want to do with the bike. A rule of thumb that I heard when I first got into my R69S was that you might pay $5K for a bike, spend $5K to mechanically restore it, and then another $5K to do a ground up restoration. My numbers to get through the mechanical restoration were higher than that 5 years ago, and I'm sure are higher today.

    Now this was just stupid, but look what someone wanted $5K for on ebay...item 270533308394. Apparently no one saw it the same way he did!!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    Alldwayray
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Is that 50k miles on the new engine, or... do you know how many are on the new engine? Because these bikes don't have an oil filter like the later bikes, and they need a bottom end service in the neighborhood of 50k miles.

    Read this:
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/slingers.htm

    Beyond that, the prices on the "/2"s have been going way up... but mostly for bikes that have matching frame and engine numbers that have been perfectly restored. In the last year, there have been R60/2s that have gotten $20k at auction. OTOH, a beater with non-matching numbers that barely runs and is missing parts and has modifications and bodges probably isn't worth $2k.
    It running a little over 50K on the new motor.

  5. #5
    Alldwayray
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

    Now this was just stupid, but look what someone wanted $5K for on ebay...item 270533308394. Apparently no one saw it the same way he did!!!
    At least you do not need to worry about matching engine number and you can easily hang on the garage with your bicycle rack.

  6. #6
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,537
    Quote Originally Posted by alldwayray View Post
    At least you do not need to worry about matching engine number and you can easily hang on the garage with your bicycle rack.
    Ha! You can then fit two of these in the garage in place of one!!

    On the other end of the scale, someone posted this on ebay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIME-...item45f14b6808

    The prices can be all over the map...depends on what you're willing to jump in on. Small $$ will mean more wrenching and parts buying before you can ride it...more $$. Big $$$$ up front means you can probably ride right away. Of course, there's still the overriding concern about the state of the bottom end and the slingers. If there's doubt about when/if they were done, one really must get them cleaned sooner than later.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  7. #7
    Alldwayray
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for all your replies. You all gave me valuable information that I can use in the future in search of my first project bike. The deal last weekend did not go through because of the high mileage.

  8. #8
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,537
    Here's a datapoint...this will probably go fast!

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1621639922.html
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  9. #9
    That post has been deleted, 12 hours later...yep, it DID go fast!!


  10. #10
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ, & Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,388
    You did not post any photos of the bike, so one really cannot make any suggestion. Moreover, I would not estimate the price without seeing it and riding it.

    The bottom line is what buyers asking your question do not want to hear: It is the value that a willing seller and willing buyer agree to. Anything else is not really very relevant.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •