• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pre-Digital photo's only!!!

Me giving flowers to the CO's wife in 1949. Who would have predicted I'd grow up to be a biker?

Attachments

• Trenton-small.jpg
    Trenton-small.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 545
Aftermath of a raccoon attack in the dead of night. My bike is the clean one. circa 1975
117610533_heGRQ-L-1.jpg

My Brother-in-law, on the same trip, the bike that got trashed.
117612049_esAE2-L-1.jpg

May 1977, My friend Mike (left), My Suzuki, me, and my 72 Honda 450 twin I just sold to Mike.

Attachments

• May 1977.jpg
    May 1977.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
1979 At Laconia Bike week, N.H. I remember the gas lines back then. Also the odd / even days to purchase gas. Luckly I made it home on fumes as no gas stations were open on Sundays. I saw many bikes out of gas and the people just camped where they were. Luckly BMW's have a good cruising range.

Attachments

• !st BMW-2.jpg
    !st BMW-2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 522
1979 At Laconia Bike week, N.H. I remember the gas lines back then. Also the odd / even days to purchase gas. Luckly I made it home on fumes as no gas stations were open on Sundays. I saw many bikes out of gas and the people just camped where they were. Luckly BMW's have a good cruising range.

You have a bunch of very cool old photos. I bet most wish they had taken as many photos like you have back in the day! It is good to see all the old photos posted here.
JD

Met this family at a truck stop in Mn., at the I-94/hwy 71 intersection,back in around '90,they were on their way back from Sturgis,5 people,2 bikes,nice!

Attachments

• IMG_0002_800x542.jpg
    IMG_0002_800x542.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 522
You have a bunch of very cool old photos. I bet most wish they had taken as many photos like you have back in the day! It is good to see all the old photos posted here.
JD

Thanks JD. This picture from July 3rd, 1976 is the oldest picture I have found so far. This is my 3rd motorcycle, a Honda CB 350. I'm still searching through my old photo's for more.

Attachments

• Honda.jpg
    Honda.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
August 1978 - had owned the bike about 2 weeks. It's a '71 R75/5.

786326110_zdWQy-M.jpg

March or April 1979 - added a fairing and rode from Baltimore back to Gainesville to visit my college friends - this is my college roomate (really dig those newfangled waffle Nike shoes). I rode back to Baltimore in one day, which is the longest one day ride I've ever taken on a motorcycle and I'm in no rush to beat it.

786326241_ANmG5-M.jpg

Summer 1980 - northcentral PA on my way home from western NY state. Added saddlebags by this time so I could really overpack for my trips.

414440631_Qz3CU-M.jpg

Still have the bike and still have the same saddlebags. It brings back a lot of memories looking through these old pictures. The bike and I have changed a little bit over the years.:whistle

My older brother on his BMW in the early 70s. He steered me towards BMW and I'm grateful to this day. I remember riding pillion on that bike and the sound and feel were amazing.

430970670_T2pFo-M.jpg

Terence, neat to see the progession over the years. Very cool you still have it. I think many of us wish we had held on to some of those earlier models we owned.

I've posted this one in another thread.

Outside a small desert village between Jeddah and Mecca, Saudi Arabia, 1978.

352813121_wMQMC-M.jpg

:clap Yeah, I found some more old photo's. This photo was taken in 1979 I believe. This is my 500 Custom though I forget the year of the bike. Mid to late 70's Im guessing. In the back ground is my 77 Chrysler Cordoba with Corinthian Leather. What a piece of crap that car was.

Attachments

• 500CC HONDA CUSTOM.jpg
    500CC HONDA CUSTOM.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Way back in '75 when I was 12 years old. I really liked (not) the chin guard thingy that hooked to the helmet. The straps would slip in the buckles and for about half of a race the thing would just flap up and down and hit me in the face. Safety first ya know!

428645389_ZQDus-L.jpg

This is about '78-79 when we had switched over to flattrack full time. I loved the speed of dirttrack. And being a skinny little kid In had never been to fond of freezing half to death riding motocross in the winter. After riding motocross thru the winter we had planned on trying a flattrack race on a 1/4 mile track. The first race was a beautiful sunny 80 degree day. I was warm, I got to hit 4th gear, did I mention I was warm, life was good. On the way home from that race I told Dad that I loved dirttrack and wasn't interested in ever riding motocross again. And I didn't.

In three years time the bike, gear, and helmet had improved considerably. This was a Rob Muzzy built Yamaha 250 with a trackmaster frame. Very fast, did I mention I liked fast! ;) This was the same year that at the AMA nationals in Wichita KN I earned 7th in the nation. That was pretty good considering I was riding with a broken hand and a sick motor that I was trying to nurse to the end of the race.

428659121_NfUGL-L.jpg

And the best thing about racing? When your only 13 years old how else are ya gonna get to kiss a 16 year old girl. Gotta love those trophy dashes. The middle pic kissing the girl was the trophy for the season High Point.

787351598_3tG7K-L.jpg

Last edited:
This is a 1978 Suzuki 550 L. This was my very first new bike, though several months later I would trade it in for my first new BMW. And so it began... I believe this was the first motorcyle to use a digital readout in its instrument cluster. It was a digital gear indicator. I remember on several ocassions, someone wanted me to turn on the key to show them what the digital readout looked like. You can also tell by the photo that this was the beginning of me adding farkles to my bikes. The after market windshield, the amber fog lights on my crash bars, the sissy bar and on and on.

Attachments

• 550 SUZUKI L.jpg
    550 SUZUKI L.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 477
Yes there was a 550 version. It was called a Titian. A friend of mine just finished restoring one last year. The waterBuffalo was quick for its day. Milk creates, ah the good old days.

nope, the Titan was the 500 twin, I know, I had two, 1970 and 73.
and the 550 and 380 GT's were air-cooled, only the 750 was water-cooled.

RM

nope, the Titan was the 500 twin, I know, I had two, 1970 and 73.
and the 550 and 380 GT's were air-cooled, only the 750 was water-cooled.

RM

The official name of the triples were GT750 Le Mans, GT 550 Indy, and the GT380 Sebring. The Titan was the 500 twin.

Back