• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tool Tube Advice For R1200GS

BEEMERGS74

Anyone have any insight or advice on a good one? not interested in making one of PVC and that gt moto one for $140 is out of the question though it is pretty trick. I found a pretty nifty one on e-bay for 19.95 plus shipping that I'm considering snatching up.

I haven't bought one yet but plan on it in a month or so.... I have to buy a set of lawnmower blades and some other stuff and thought I would save on shipping when the time comes.

Tool Tube from Agri-Supply

I haven't bought one yet but plan on it in a month or so.... I have to buy a set of lawnmower blades and some other stuff and thought I would save on shipping when the time comes.

I ordered two Operator's Manual Canisters for my wife's GS and my Adventure. The total was $16.98 including shipping. I placed the order on Jan 29th and they arrived yesterday. I think they are a great buy, particularly compared to the price of the tool tube from GT Moto.

Marc

I don't know if I will put any heavy or valuable tools in mine when I get it but storage space is storage space! Anything extra is great. I am thinking it might hold my little air compressor and tire repair kit and maybe some other things. If it fits, that will free up some room in one of the side cases.

I don't know if I will put any heavy or valuable tools in mine when I get it but storage space is storage space! Anything extra is great. I am thinking it might hold my little air compressor and tire repair kit and maybe some other things. If it fits, that will free up some room in one of the side cases.

Perhaps, as long as your air compressor is small enough to fit inside - the specs on the tool tube says it's 3 1/4 " in diameter. There's a thread on ADVRider.com that list what others are carrying in theirs, e.g., tools, fuel pump bypass cable, JB Weld, etc. I'll try and find it later.

Marc

I have a 22oz MSR fuel bottle in one. They seem to be pretty durable so far. The lid screws on with several threads so it's not just going to pop off for sure.

Perhaps, as long as your air compressor is small enough to fit inside - the specs on the tool tube says it's 3 1/4 " in diameter. There's a thread on ADVRider.com that list what others are carrying in theirs, e.g., tools, fuel pump bypass cable, JB Weld, etc. I'll try and find it later.

Marc

Here's is the link to the posts about the Operator's Manual Canister sold by Agri Supply:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436601&highlight=tool+tube

The suggested contents begin in post 10 and a more complete list is shown beginning in post 14. If you're interested, post 2 shows how one person installed his.

Marc

I installed one on front side of panniers outboard from passenger pegs...just in case I had a passenger. I had a pic,but it's way too dark

No single solution

i have a '08 R1200GS. For me the best solution has been:
*Stock tool kit under the seat, along with a collection of 1/4" sockets, etc
*A tool pouch roll behind the rear seat. I take off the rear seat and shove the roll under the luggage deck and then replace the seat. The seat keeps the tools secure.
* I have small Slime compressure with pluging supples. I placed all the tire stuff in a small leather pouch (approx. 5x6x3) that fits into the space between the tail light and luggage deck.

Between the 3 location I think I have most bases covered for tools, But you can never have to many tools!
Marty

Where are you all mounting this item?

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

'09 R1200GSA

Since I've got a '09 R1200GSA too, I intend to mount it as shown in the link on the Adventure rider site - see link in my earlier message.

Marc

i have a '08 R1200GS. For me the best solution has been:
*Stock tool kit under the seat, along with a collection of 1/4" sockets, etc
*A tool pouch roll behind the rear seat. I take off the rear seat and shove the roll under the luggage deck and then replace the seat. The seat keeps the tools secure.
* I have small Slime compressure with pluging supples. I placed all the tire stuff in a small leather pouch (approx. 5x6x3) that fits into the space between the tail light and luggage deck.

Between the 3 location I think I have most bases covered for tools, But you can never have to many tools!
Marty

I keep my stock tool kit under the seat (Why not? Nothing else fits there)

For storing a decent tool roll, I bolted a luggage strap into the top half of my R1200GS's otherwise nearly useless left saddle bag (this would be the system bag with the huge cutout for the muffler). The strap keeps the tool roll in an otherwise unusable location.

I used to keep my tools in one of those fancy waterproof boxes they sell for electronic equipment. It was bolted to the luggage rack and it worked OK, but the last thing a GS needs is something that makes it taller. I practically needed elevator shoes to swing my leg over the saddle.

I'm not sure why the Werks hasn't figured out how to provide better tool storage on a GS. It's not exactly a small bike and there ought to be someplace under all that plastic for a real tool box.

I bought one of the fancy aluminum tool tubes, but the shape isn't really all that useful.

Back