• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Boots

I have the Sidi Adventures.

They run a bit small to your normal Euro size in length but moreso in width of the toe box. I wear a 45 but ended up with 47's to get a good fit.

Keep that in mind.

KILLER boot though.

Adventure's Arrived... Nice.

Well, my Sidi Adventures arrived last night and they're pretty nice, as expected. I was actually surprised at how less substantial they were compared to the Crossfire's I just sold. However, at least for my purposes -- a waterproof, robust year-round commuter boot with lots of lateral ankle support -- they're pretty much right on target.

sidi_adventure_rain_boots_detail.jpg

I didn't check before buying them, but they're about 1/2 the weight of the Crossfire and a few inches shorter in height, so far more street / touring friendly when it comes to walking around. However, I will confess that I do miss the uncompromised safety that the Crossfire provided to my broken ankle last year. In some respects, I should have probably kept the Crossfires "just in case". However, that said, the Adventures will be a much more practical boot for me in the long run.

Well, my Sidi Adventures arrived last night and they're pretty nice, as expected. I was actually surprised at how less substantial they were compared to the Crossfire's I just sold. However, at least for my purposes -- a waterproof, robust year-round commuter boot with lots of lateral ankle support -- they're pretty much right on target.

sidi_adventure_rain_boots_detail.jpg

I didn't check before buying them, but they're about 1/2 the weight of the Crossfire and a few inches shorter in height, so far more street / touring friendly when it comes to walking around. However, I will confess that I do miss the uncompromised safety that the Crossfire provided to my broken ankle last year. In some respects, I should have probably kept the Crossfires "just in case". However, that said, the Adventures will be a much more practical boot for me in the long run.
That's a smart-looking boot, TandemGeek! Congrats and thanks for the review. :thumb

I have found that my Sidi Escapes to be my favorite boot so far, although they are not a full on boot, more like a half boot.

I do have a pair of BMW Santiago boots that I bought way back when I purchased the RT (3 yrs). I am embarrassed when asked what I paid for them and quite honestly I feel like Frankenstein's monster when I wear them. Very difficult to get my toe under the shifter. I think in total I have worn them 3 times and now they have taken up permanent residence in their box.

My Escapes are very comfortable but would provide no protection to my lower legs if I was to go down.
This has been an informative read for me and will be referenced if I do decide to go to a full boot.

Bought new boots today, after taking some notes from this thread - BMW All-Arounds.

I did have the good sense to take my riding socks and also my leather pants with me, just to make sure they would fit under the boot tops.

I think the top two priorities with boots or any other riding gear have to be "fit and comfort," which is the reason I don't buy on the Web. (You can then prioritize cost, features, protection, style, etc.)

The two boots locally available which were about what I wanted were the Alpinstar Goretex and the BMW All-Round, which also has Goretex. Similar boots, similar price, and both available in my size at the local BMW shop. Put on my socks and pants and walked around the store. No question that the BMW boots fit my feet better - which of course does not mean they would fit your feet better!

Deilenberger's comments that the BMW All-Arounds were "totally waterproof and comfortable from 32F to 95F" cinched the deal.

I get the point of buying heavy leather boots which require a lot of "breaking in" if you are fairly young. I still have a pair of heavy hiking boots which are on their third set of soles and, with a few other repairs over the years, still serviceable now when I cut firewood. Had them about 40 years, which brings a smile to my face when I put them on. Don't have that time for new motorcycle boots.

Hope this adds something to the discussion.

From what I'm reading here, there are lot's of good choices out there, so it will come down to personal preference as to styling and comfort for your own two feet.

I have the Sidi Canyons and can give them a thumbs-up. They are definitely waterproof, without smothering your feet, a problem with some waterproof footwear. I have driven through torrential rains with them, worn them all day long at rallies, ridden in temps from the 20's to the 90's and I'm still happy with them...

Having said that, The Santiago is looking pretty good to me too.

Cruiserwerks

You may wish to consider Cruiserworks boots. They have several styles. All are waterproofed as part of the leather finishing process and have protective toe caps and ankle protection.

I've had mine for about 8 years, they still look good and are still waterproof.

Another option is Cabella's gortex boots.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for BMW All-Around Boots. Waterproof, comfortable to walk in, not too hot, over ~15,000 miles in them.

Boot care

What's the best advice you've gotten on how to care for your Allround boots?
Thanks,
Adrian

Allround Boots - more good news

I still haven't gotten around to standing in a tub of water to check whether they are really waterproof. Haven't treated the leather either. But I did make two pleasant discoveries on a 250 mile ride last Sunday.

1.) My bike has a rather annoying vibration around 5000 rpm which I especially noticed in my feet. Finally realized it was no longer there in the footpegs. What the heck? If I pressed hard on the footpegs it was back, so no mysterious change in the bike. I think the factory insoles do a lot to damp vibration.

2.) I decided to make this club "breakfast ride" considerably longer by riding a different route home which took me over a mountain pass. Not too smart, as for some reason my electric vest wasn't working and the temp dropped to just above freezing. My upper body was cold; my hands were painfully cold (gotta get some decent winter gloves and carry them;) but my feet were fine. This still doesn't make sense. With my previous boots, when the temp is in the low 30's, both my hands and feet suffered, even with a working electric vest.

Two more reasons to think maybe I made a good choice in boots.

I still haven't gotten around to standing in a tub of water to check whether they are really waterproof.

I have spent some time standing in a stream in my All Around boots. I was taking photos of a waterfall. I was fine until I went deep enough that the water came in over the top of the boot. They are fine riding in the rain. I like the All Arounds very much.

I also have a pair of big boots with buckles that I wear occasionally.

So, what did you end up with Jonathan?

Last edited:
I have Sidi On Roads for road trips and Sidi Discovery boots for dual sport riding. Love them both. My feet have never been wet. i just put new soles on the On Roads after five years of use.

I will, coalminer. Thanks for the info.

Something worth considering, kgadley. :) I do like the fact that Aerostich has based their main riding boot design on US Army boots and even called them Combat Boots.

I've had the Aerostich combat boots for a few years now with mixed emotions. Really like them overall, but I've got large calf muscles and the top velcro strap will barely touch it's mating surface. They never ever stay done. Leather wise they're just getting broke in. :whistle

I plan on upgrading my touring boots this Spring and am looking at the Vendramini Marathon, REV'IT! Rival, TCX X-5 and Sidi Canyon.

I've been using Prexport's 360WP for the last four years and have been extremely satisfied with their fit and feel, waterproofing and breathability. Their only downside being rather thin velcro tab closures that have, over time, become a bit dogeared.

What do you like or use and why?

I just purchased a pair of TCX X5 Gortex boots and I love them. Sizing is a bit small so you'll have to downsize if you are buying online but the true test of a shoe or boot is if they feel good right out of the box. These boots feel better than great right out of the box.

cbcK1200S - Colin

The last poster makes an excellent point - "the boots should feel good right out of the box" - which is also the reason you should try to buy locally. Take your riding socks. Walk around with several different boots which fit your requirements. If it is comfortable in the store, it will almost certainly be comfortable on the bike.

On thinking about it, I am not enamored with "tough boots" which take years to break in, even for younger riders. Any piece of riding apparel which is uncomfortable, no matter the "protection" it offers, is a distraction. And that just might be more important than the extra protection.

When we ride, we want our gear to let us forget we are even wearing it.

So, what did you end up with Jonathan?
Hi Reid, I ended up working too much, riding too little and not getting around to buying boots yet :) however, a new pair are still in the cards (focusing now on upgrading my ride).

The last poster makes an excellent point - "the boots should feel good right out of the box" - which is also the reason you should try to buy locally. Take your riding socks. Walk around with several different boots which fit your requirements. If it is comfortable in the store, it will almost certainly be comfortable on the bike.

On thinking about it, I am not enamored with "tough boots" which take years to break in, even for younger riders. Any piece of riding apparel which is uncomfortable, no matter the "protection" it offers, is a distraction. And that just might be more important than the extra protection.

When we ride, we want our gear to let us forget we are even wearing it.
All good points and great advice (from all your posts in this thread) BCKRIDER. Though there was no box, I felt that way when I bought my last pair of Prexports at the Vermont Rally. :thumb

+1 on the BMW All-Arounds here! Comfortable from day one and have held up well! Very pleased!

Wife has 'em also!

Last edited:
Back