• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newby without a ride

froggy

Been away from biking 4 ten years.Same old story-kids,but now the twins are older and I am getting an itch Im just unable to scratch(gotta ride).
Been checking out the current 2 wheelers(been a rice burner all my life),and noticed the ease of repairs on the oilheads.Sooo am now looking for 2000 or a 2004 RT (I like the end of a model series,not the beginning with all the bugs):nono.
Wish me luck in talking the wife into reentering one of my fav.pasttimes(...HONEY they are tooo dangerous...BUT SWEETHEART sooo is marriage):fight
Craig

Well Craig, you live just a hop away from the center of the BMW MOA universe (AKA as our HQ which is on Old State Route south of Manchester.

Welcome to the forum and the world of BMW's. Lot of members in the St. Louis area. Need advice, ask away and I'm sure some of them would be happy to give you their opinion.

Let us know when you get the new ride.

So which Oilhead are you leaning towards? R, RT, GS, RS?

Craig, good to have you! And you're correct oilheads, relative to a multi valve/shim adjust bike are a piece of cake! The more "naked" bikes are a bit easier to maintain, but the plastic comes off pretty easy when necessary on the faired models. Lots of nice ones used available and winter is a good time to buy.
JD

Well Craig, you live just a hop away from the center of the BMW MOA universe (AKA as our HQ which is on Old State Route south of Manchester.

Welcome to the forum and the world of BMW's. Lot of members in the St. Louis area. Need advice, ask away and I'm sure some of them would be happy to give you their opinion.

That would be the RT with all the Tuperware and wind protection.And U are correct,I live 5 min away from the HQs(but I never new it was the HQs)

Speaking of MO.,is anyone going to "The Gettaway in Hermann"in May and camping out.The wife and I love visiting wineries and I promised the boys I would take them camping . I was planning on showing up at Hemann Park and pitching a tent with the family and checking out the bikes and wine.Ladies, I am going to count on U to turn my wife into a biker:bikes

Craig:

If you've narrowed it down to a late model oilhead, the 2004 models with twin ignition are a good choice. And welcome.

Speaking of MO.,is anyone going to "The Gettaway in Hermann"in May and camping out.The wife and I love visiting wineries and I promised the boys I would take them camping . I was planning on showing up at Hemann Park and pitching a tent with the family and checking out the bikes and wine.Ladies, I am going to count on U to turn my wife into a biker:bikes

Welcome Craig! The 04 RT is a good one...mine was anyway. Wow to live right there at HQ is a real advantage if you are on a BMW...you are lucky!
Don't know if I will make Hermann but I hope to. I am quite certain it will be a well attended event and certainly a good place to see some Beemers.

Good luck with getting yourself a new bike!

Back