Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Support your local dealer

Rally Rat

Support your local dealer

I want to, I really do. I just spent $22.26 for an oil filter and crush washer for my 05 hexhead. It went up $4.00 since my last oil change. That's it. My next oil filter will be purchased on-line. If the dealer goes under because I can't afford to shop there, so be it. My bike is no longer under warranty anyway.

Ride Safe
    Mike

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I hear ya, Mike! I needed four short bolts and went to my dealer instead of the hardware store so all the heads would match. $17.98 -- holy cow! Not even gold plated!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I recently bought a new Helmet from my local dealer. I took a shot and asked him to come closer to the discount Internet prices and he went one better and matched them.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I recently bought a new Helmet from my local dealer. I took a shot and asked him to come closer to the discount Internet prices and he went one better and matched them.
    Wish I had your dealer. I asked him to come within 10% of the Web price and he went on a tirade asking how I'd feel if he closed up shop and I had to ride 200 miles to the next closest dealer for service. Come to think of it, after his tantrum I DID ride to the other dealer for service!

MaxBMW rocks!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

What local dealer?

I'm seriously considering leaving the BMW family because of my local dealer's service department. In Edmonton, we have 1 BMW motorcycle service shop. I don't have an issue with the prices for product in the accessories or parts department or even the cost of labour. My issue is with the quality of work. When you ask for something to be done and it doesn't even get looked at, that's a problem. When, in the process of conducting service, they damage some screws and over tighten them, that's a problem.

As I sit here thinking about it, the only time I have been happy with their service was when they did the $120.00 oil change ($20/litre for 4 litres of oil plus the labour and the oil filter and the crush washer) that ended up being over $200.00 because they caught the fact that the front brakes were down to 10%. Since then, everytime I have had my bike in for service, there has been something that I was not happy with.

If (and it is pretty certain that I will) I get rid of the CL and move to another brand, I will not be taking it to Argyll Motorsports for service if the new bike is a brand that they carry (Yamaha, Suzuki and Ducati are also carried by Argyll). I may still buy things from their clothing and accessories department because they are the only local source of FirstGear and Scorpion stuff which I really like.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ǣIf you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular! http://www.yearroundriders.com

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Hey Bubba, if you can head down to cowtown and give Dave at Anderwerks a try (no affilation). He has never let me down - isn't necessarily cheaper, but takes care of the mechanical stuff and treats you like a person. I switched away from my only local dealer in Calgary for warranty work for similar reasons. Same issue when finding gear though. And yes, my wife bought a F650GS in Edmonton so have have some inkling of your experience.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

criminaldesign
    If I need filters or something that is BMW specific I go through Holt. Same BMW prices but if it keeps Holt from turning into the typical cookie cutter sales lot, I'm all for it.

Other than that, there's a small unaffiliated bike shop down the road from the house. I get my tires, oil and random stuff through them. They're hurting so I try to do what business I can with them. Good people that are considered friends.

JAMESDUNN
    My "local" dealer is a one hundred and twenty mile trip away. Sometimes a problem, sometimes not. Closer would be better. They are what I would consider a good dealer. (Gina's, of Iowa City.) I would support them more if they were closer. I do spend quite a bit there though. But, I also purchase on the internet and use two independent shops; both of those former BMW dealers. Although I believe in supporting BMW shops, I only think it is common sense to support those that are reasonably priced and perform skilled work.
    JD

Rally Rat

Cool

In these difficult economic times, it's tempting to tolerate tunnel vision and simply adhere to one's personal 'bottom line' - "He who sells for the cheapest gets my business."

But I urge a balanced approach to spending your dollars, for the sake of keeping the motorcycle industry, if not healthy, at least off life support.

My dealer knows I will patronize him for many needs, even if it means spending a few dollars (or cents) over what Fleet Farm, Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware or one of the many mail-order giants can offer me.

I want him to remain in business, and unfortunately due to the exclusivieness of our brand, handing a BMW dealership the ultimatum to "be competitive or go under" could sadly end up being a case of 'be careful what you wish for.'

My dealer knows full well that I have bought my replacement tires elsewhere, as his prices don't even come close to what I get name-brand rubber for through the mail. Yet, I come to him for many other needs.

I consider myself a savy consumer to invest $$$ to keep his books in the black.

It is a balance between local patronage to make sure he's still in business when sophisticated repairs are called for, and saving significant cash (not the little bucks) on discretionary purchasing.

Patronize and compromise - better for both of us in the long run, and the long run is what owning a BMW is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    In these difficult economic times, it's tempting to tolerate tunnel vision and simply adhere to one's personal 'bottom line' - "He who sells for the cheapest gets my business."

But I urge a balanced approach to spending your dollars, for the sake of keeping the motorcycle industry, if not healthy, at least off life support.

My dealer knows I will patronize him for many needs, even if it means spending a few dollars (or cents) over what Fleet Farm, Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware or one of the many mail-order giants can offer me.

I want him to remain in business, and unfortunately due to the exclusivieness of our brand, handing a BMW dealership the ultimatum to "be competitive or go under" could sadly end up being a case of 'be careful what you wish for.'

My dealer knows full well that I have bought my replacement tires elsewhere, as his prices don't even come close to what I get name-brand rubber for through the mail. Yet, I come to him for many other needs.

I consider myself a savy consumer to invest $$$ to keep his books in the black.

It is a balance between local patronage to make sure he's still in business when sophisticated repairs are called for, and saving significant cash (not the little bucks) on discretionary purchasing.

Patronize and compromise - better for both of us in the long run, and the long run is what owning a BMW is all about!
    +1 Greenwald
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

weggsa

Talking go loco?

The wide and long reaching strands of this web that brings us together seems to drive us apart!My local dealer 15 miniutes from home is good.They are not an exclusive bmw shop which makes their clothing line a little limited.I have not used them for service yet but they have a great reputation.So far just a few small items when I visit,loco loyality. So far for my bikes I have chosen max bmw ,the closest shop being 1+hours away.They sell such a large volume that makes it tough to compete.Max does a pick-up and drop-off right from my house!This service is so easy for me that I cannot say enough! As for a recent shop tool purchase made the internet won!100 dollars less noshipping fee NO SALES TAX!!!! These days I will do anything to get away from sales tax!!! I wonder when our money-sucking government wil start taxing the web?Just think how many jobs that will create??

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post

My dealer knows full well that I have bought my replacement tires elsewhere, as his prices don't even come close to what I get name-brand rubber for through the mail.
    Mr Greenwald, you're doing the same thing I'm doing, just on different items. Just for the hell of it, I checked with Harley of Orlando to find out how much a genuine HD spin-on oil filter sells for and it's $6.95. I'm not compairing BMW's to Harley's but why should a BMW oil filter cost 3 times more than a Harley one? The dealer should at least try to be somewhat competitive and earn my business. I don't want any BMW dealer to go under, but I have to keep myself from going under as well. BTW, I buy my tires from the BMW dealer when they have a sale and let them do the install. So which of us is hurting them more, me for wanting to buy oil filters from an online vendor or you for buying your tires elsewhere?

Ride Safe
    Mike

criminaldesign
    I've seen $80 cup holders at Harley...

For bolts and such, I started checking with Fastenal first. Sometimes they have what's needed, sometimes they don't. I recently replaced all 4 axle clamp bolts and got all 4 for the price of one bolt through BMW.

But I do agree, 30 bux is ALOT of cash for a filter and gasket.

I recycle oil filters, one filter = 2 oil cycles. So I pay 15 per filter in a sense.

One way of looking at this has been overlooked. The dealers are also getting raped when buying parts (filters, oil, ect) from BMW. I would venture a guess that their in-store mark-up is not much/if any more than any other retail store.

It seems that the German Mfg's don't mind to kill the goose which lays the golden egg.

IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein