• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

QST, QST, QST - taking BMW-Net Check-in Now.

6 Meters has been open!!! At least here along the east coast.
Any time 6 is open- it’s fun. Lots of contacts from Chicago to Miami to Canada. 4’s and 9’s this evening :dance :dance

.... ..

DE WB1-GIW

Gary

Hey all! Tech here in California. Still a newbie with ham despite having my license for 3 years, but getting a little more into it lately. I am looking to mount a little tri-band mobile to my RT and trying to figure out the best antenna configuration. Would love to have it setup before my trip up to Seattle in August.

Going to take my general class soon and looking forward to the HF world. Nice meeting you all!

Nate
KK6ZSK

Hey all! Tech here in California. Still a newbie with ham despite having my license for 3 years, but getting a little more into it lately. I am looking to mount a little tri-band mobile to my RT and trying to figure out the best antenna configuration. Would love to have it setup before my trip up to Seattle in August.

Going to take my general class soon and looking forward to the HF world. Nice meeting you all!

Nate
KK6ZSK

I ran HF mobile on a Tundra truck with a 3 inch dia, 5 foot long aluminum cylinder...screwdriver motor coil setup where the coil disappears into the cylinder for tuning and then a whip which made the total height off the street 13.5 feet. It was as good as an at home setup. Obviously you can only run something like a Hamstick and I would guess 40M and up in frequency. The longer the antenna, the less coil you need which is where the power loss is.

One thing you might also consider, it's not HF, but consider DMR and C4FM. You can talk around the world on it. Some say it's not Ham Radio, but I usually do Ham Radio on 80 and sometimes 160 meters, and I like DMR.
Basically you link to a repeater or your own hotspot like the Openspot2 and talk on an HT or Mobile uhf rig thru the internet. I use a DMR HT and an Openspot2 which links to my iPhone hotspot. Ideal for mobile, you don't have to take your eyes off the road, not restricted to band conditions, etc. And you get to talk to Europe, Asia, anywhere in the world on the WW channel. The digital audio is horrible quality, but readable, look it up.
Chuck KE9UW
but Jack on BMW motorcycles...it's a short story :)

Hey Chuck. I'm not looking to do HF on the motorcycle, but looking for a 2m/1.25/70cm setup. My main issue is it's not really possible to have a ground plane. I could just get a no-ground-plane VHF antenna (half wave) as I mostly use 2m. Some places I ride are only covered by 1.25m repeaters though, so I'd like to have it as well.

I'm also eyeballing the Kenwood th-d74a, which looks like an amazing little HT (and gets me into digital with DStar).

Fairly recently licensed, went straight to General class and off to a decent start with equipment: Icom IC-9700 & TH-D74. Now I need to invest in some HF capability.

6- meters was wide open today....... what a blast.
Congratulations on your license.
DE WB1GIW
Gary

ham and politics

I saw an article that the government is trying to shut down ham radio operators. I haven't been on the air for several years and have not kept up with issues of ham radio. Any remarks to this. I hope this is a proper post. If not delete it.

The "government" can stop Amateur Radio any time it wants. There was and probably still is some pressure to give up or share some of the higher frequencies to phone, internet, and other services. But this has been going on for years.
Using these frequencies is still the best way to "keep" these frequencies.

I went straight to General, but only have VHF/UHF capability right now. I’m teaching myself Morse code and will be picking up an Icom IC-7300 for HF. I’d like to stuff it in a Pelican case and bring it to rallies once they resume.
KF0ADW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went straight to General, but only have VHF/UHF capability right now. I’m teaching myself Morse code and will be picking up an Icom IC-7300 for HF. I’d like to stuff it in a Pelican case and bring it to rallies once they resume.
KF0ADW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All reports on the Icom 7300 have been fantastic. Pretty easy to throw a wire antenna up most anywhere there is a couple of trees.
OM

6 meters has been fun lately. I had a real nice contact with Newfoundland this morning. If you can get on 6 meters, 50.125 USB is a great place to monitor for activity.
OM

Back