• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

QST, QST, QST - taking BMW-Net Check-in Now.

Pete, NA1G, Ashland, MA

Not MC-mobile. I have enough to keep me busy just riding the RT. Besides, the paddle keeps sliding off my knee.

TenTec Corsair (C. 1985)
Carolina windom, 40 - 10m
Kenwood TH-K20 2M Handi

DXCC 150, CW
WAS CW

73- pete

KM4LLF

No motorcycle mobile, but contemplating it. In the past, I've been somewhat allergic to communications on the bike--no Bluetooth, CB, or FRS. One of the reasons I ride is to cut the umbilicus. Still, I'm packing the 2m/70cm HT for emergency use and something to do in the evenings on trips.

Norway Kilo Six Alpha

License plate treads W6COW

Not mobile on the bike. I sometimes carry a KX1 and wire to set up in a park.

Never tried hooking up my HW100 to my R90/6. Probably a good thing.

KM4LLF

No motorcycle mobile, but contemplating it. In the past, I've been somewhat allergic to communications on the bike--no Bluetooth, CB, or FRS. One of the reasons I ride is to cut the umbilicus. Still, I'm packing the 2m/70cm HT for emergency use and something to do in the evenings on trips.

Didn't do much with the dual-band UHF/VHF handheld in Billings. Turned it on one night in my tent, entered the local repeaters, and promptly fell asleep. :)

I did work the local repeater (Terry Peak) and checked in with the South Dakota statewide net during my unscheduled stay in Sturgis. I carry a roll-up "Slim Jim" and it worked pretty well. Spent some "quality time" at Sturgis BMW waiting for bike to be fixed.

Seems like a lot of us are on sporadically, "how 'bout those menu driven radios". :banghead
:)
OM

de KF4BY

Just found this thread....lots of us crazy "radio" people out here on BMW's. I had my IC-706MKIIG installed on the R11RT several years ago, HF/VHF/UHF. I monitored a lot, but like some else said......riding is busy enough without adding ham radio to the mix. Station includes Drake, Collins, TenTec, Harris, and my favorite, Elecraft. I plan on packing QRP for evenings at the camp site in the future. The won't slide off the knee that way. Hi!
73, to all!
Stan

N1YDY checking in

I'm also late to finding this thread. I've been looking for a Yeasu FTM-10SR to mount on my new to me 04 R1150R. This is the "smaller" 10w waterproof version that I think would be good for my "naked" bike. Unfortunately, every time I see one on qth.com or on Craigslist, I always seem to be a day or two too late. Oh well....

To the the guy who had a 706 on his bike...two things;
1). With out Bluetooth to your helmet, how did the radio sound? Did it have enough both volume and
Fidelity?
2). How did you keep the radio protected from water and dirt?

To everybody else; does anybody know of a way to mount the larger version of the FTM-10, the FTM-10R/E on a R1150R while still preserving it from water exposure and still being able to carry the tool kit? That space under the pillion seems very small...

n1ydy, Hank

I had the 10r on my F800GS for a while- just set it in the tank bag. I was hoping to get a decent FM (broadcast) performance- it was so-so. The antenna was on the license plate mount, when I was stopped the 2M function was pretty good. Never tried the Bluetooth.
Gary

FM Broadcast performance?

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. What was wrong with the fm broadcast performance of he ftm-10r? Also how did it do outside the normal 2 meter band? Specifically, how was the am aircraft band performance? Thanks.

Hank, n1ydy

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. What was wrong with the fm broadcast performance of he ftm-10r? Also how did it do outside the normal 2 meter band? Specifically, how was the am aircraft band performance? Thanks.

Hank, n1ydy
I don't think I ever tried the aircraft band Hank. On FM it would cut in and out while moving. I attribute this to the antenna- mainly. If I was parked and the station sounded good, it stayed that way.
I didn't do a lot of transmitting- really. Hamature radio here in the Northeast have become rather sparse especially on 2M, 440 and 220.
OM

Another thing I no longer am...

but, back in 1960, I had just started High School, was 15, passed the exam and got a nice call sign, VE3EST. Never was all that active, but it did lead to an EE degree and an interesting career.

Somewhere in the mid-70s, a close friend asked if he could have the call sign. I wrote a letter, he hand carried it to the government and it was a done deal.

Back then, in the early 60's, folks generally bought their receivers and built their transmitters. Lots of phase type balanced modulators. Now there's a term I had not heard or thought of for decades!

I lusted over a Collins KWM-3 and wanted to visit Collins in Cedar Rapids. Never made it until the late '80's when I regularly visited the Rockwell Collins facility there while working for Litton Systems Canada Ltd.

Some good memories in the above.

Back