• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

QST, QST, QST - taking BMW-Net Check-in Now.

Helmets anyone?

Thanks for the clue Omea Man. I thought it was code related but I wasn't sure. Ever since they took my plus away I can't remember if the dit comes before the dah or the dah comes before the dit.

APRS is pretty neat stuff although it might not save my life. If a HAM calls for help and nobody hears him is his signal readable? QST has a small article about some mini-sats recently launched from Kodiak that will be turned over to APRS use in awhile but it doesn't say what the coverage will be. My hope is they'll be geo-synchronous over Alaska and make APRS a real lifesaver for HAMS in the boonies. I like to troll for APRS stations as I travel here in Alaska. Whatever pops up usually has locations and PL tones for nearby repeaters and nodes. More current than the book at home.

There are a few threads going on about bluetooth helmets. Have any HAMs here played with them? Any good/bad experiences or recommendations. I'm dreaming of a helmet I can use for bikes and snowmobiles. It would be most helpful in keeping a group of snowmobilers together as a group and finding them when they get seperated. Better than running all the way to the parking lot to see if they went there. We do that with 2 meter anyway but we have to all stop and talk at the same time.

Ski-doo mobile
ATV mobile
Couch immobile

73s NL7PW

Thanks for the clue Omea Man. I thought it was code related but I wasn't sure. Ever since they took my plus away I can't remember if the dit comes before the dah or the dah comes before the dit.

APRS is pretty neat stuff although it might not save my life. If a HAM calls for help and nobody hears him is his signal readable? QST has a small article about some mini-sats recently launched from Kodiak that will be turned over to APRS use in awhile but it doesn't say what the coverage will be. My hope is they'll be geo-synchronous over Alaska and make APRS a real lifesaver for HAMS in the boonies. I like to troll for APRS stations as I travel here in Alaska. Whatever pops up usually has locations and PL tones for nearby repeaters and nodes. More current than the book at home.

There are a few threads going on about bluetooth helmets. Have any HAMs here played with them? Any good/bad experiences or recommendations. I'm dreaming of a helmet I can use for bikes and snowmobiles. It would be most helpful in keeping a group of snowmobilers together as a group and finding them when they get seperated. Better than running all the way to the parking lot to see if they went there. We do that with 2 meter anyway but we have to all stop and talk at the same time.

Ski-doo mobile
ATV mobile
Couch immobile

73s NL7PW

The bluetooth hasn't got the range that I think your looking for. You could probably use the Autocom system that they use for motorcycles. Depending on what you want some of the Family Radio Service radios would probably work out well. Most have a VOX feature and some mike options. Probably have to keep the radios inside the jacket and run the wire up to avoid short battery life in the cold weather. The easiest way is to check what other snowmobilers in your travel area are doing. Possibly one of the Scala units would work also.

WA4TOG Danny from Mills River, NC.
R1200GSA
Welcome to the forum, I'll bet you listen to those guys on 75m-your in the thick of it. With your R1200 gsa you'll find a pile of info when you make your way to the Hexhead/Camhead area. Have fun and enjoy, Gary

Upgraded to Extra a month ago and enjoying the new band freedoms. Picture of my shack: Yaesu FT-2000D driving a 1 KW, VL-1000 Quadra. into a four band OCF dipole at 30 feet. The other radio is a Kenwood 790A, 144/430/1200 All mode VHF into a Diamond X200 at 20 feet.

Love chasing DX, but my favorite contact still has to be the one with with NA1SS, Col. Doug Wheelock aboard the International Space Station. Very active with our local ARES and RACES groups. See you on the bands. KB3TXP, 73s

HamShack002.jpg

Last edited:
Upgraded to Extra a month ago and enjoying the new band freedoms. Picture of my shack: Yaesu FT-2000D driving a 1 KW, VL-1000 Quadra. into a four band OCF dipole at 30 feet. The other radio is a Kenwood 790A, 144/430/1200 All mode VHF into a Diamond X200 at 20 feet.

Love chasing DX, but my favorite contact still has to be the one with with NA1SS, Col. Doug Wheelock aboard the International Space Station. Very active with our local ARES and RACES groups. See you on the bands. KB3TXP, 73s

HamShack002.jpg
Sweeeet!! FT2000D :thumb As far as I'm concerned there is nothing like the sound from a big box radio. I have a TS940-old but great radio and a FT450 nice compact radio but you don't get the nice audio (in or out) that you get from the big box radios. I'm hoping for 6m to pop in the near future. Nice station, Gary WB1GIW

WN2CZA (1971) --> WA2CZA (advanced) --> W2GE (Expert,-1998)

73's de W2GE

7 Band DXCC
WAZ
10-10 # 5008
Over 315 confirmed

7 Band DXCC
WAZ
Over 315 confirmed

Impressive, I have 115 confirmed, and of course WAS, need a better antenna but due to space and local restrictions that most likely ain't gonna happen.

Impressive, I have 115 confirmed, and of course WAS, need a better antenna but due to space and local restrictions that most likely ain't gonna happen.

4n, THanks...

Well, I have an 8 element Log periodic on a 70 foot tower (however over the past two seasons I lost 4 elements-UNUSABLE... Tower is also shunt fed and with 4 elevated radials for 160 meters. I also have a vertical for 40 meters which also broke... My antennas are a total mess... but I haven't been active since the last sunspot cycle and have all this equipment just sitting. ICOM 756, ICOM 746 dedicated to six meters on 5 element long boom antenna, Ameritron AL-1200, etc...

I really should just sell some of it... ;-(

Amateur Radios

VA3TRN Bryce, Burlington, ON, Canada

Kenwood TS 50 (base)
Yaseu FT 8800R mobile.

I may be tracked on APRS.

HamShack002.jpg

Station looks real nice.. If I would just clean the desk off in front of my station I'll post a pic...

WA5TEZ/Advanced Class/Dave Faria
Austin, Tx
I'm thinking abt installing either an Alinco DX70T or a IC706MarkIIG on my R1150RT for Field Day. Anyone done this??? I camp off the bike. Is there much room inside the police box used on the RT??? I'm also thinking abt building an active noise cancelling headset into my helmet. Any thoughts???

anyone looking for an AMERITRON AL-1200H?? Excellent condition, POWERHOUSE, low hours.. DX chasing only, NO contesting!

email me at: w2ge AT comcast.net

Back