Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: QST, QST, QST - taking BMW-Net Check-in Now.

Larry, N3EIX, New Brighton, PA
    Larry
    2004 R1150RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I thought I'd give this a bump, just in case any new members had an interest in Amateur (ham) Radio. .-- -... .---- --. .. .--
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Brand X
    NL7PW

I'm a tech minus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    NL7PW

I'm a tech minus.
    Hey, your in and you have a clue to the value of direct communication
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Brand X

WB1GIW de NL7PW

I give up. What's the clue?

I give up. What's the clue?
    The clue is, well, the best example is Hurricane Katrina. With all the comm links down, if they had had CB radios they would be in better shape. Hi-Tech is great when it works.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Sometimes I run APRS on the bike. Picture is waiting for the ferry from Deer Island, NB to Eastport, ME in August 2007 (coming back from the Salty Fog Rally and meeting with other friends in NS).

The problem with APRS as a tracker is that there aren't enough relay stations in rural areas. Spot does a much better job.

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

It's the northeast My friend in Phoenix can use a hand-held the whole state-even to LA.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It's the northeast My friend in Phoenix can use a hand-held the whole state-even to LA.
    It used to be extremely active 15 years ago. I had a digipeater here in Braintree, but when it got so congested, I suppose most folks moved to the net, like me.

I've had a weather station online for a long time and it does feed the APRS WX net.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

N0JMH,

Greg

Golden, CO

Brand X

Helmets anyone?

Thanks for the clue Omea Man. I thought it was code related but I wasn't sure. Ever since they took my plus away I can't remember if the dit comes before the dah or the dah comes before the dit.

APRS is pretty neat stuff although it might not save my life. If a HAM calls for help and nobody hears him is his signal readable? QST has a small article about some mini-sats recently launched from Kodiak that will be turned over to APRS use in awhile but it doesn't say what the coverage will be. My hope is they'll be geo-synchronous over Alaska and make APRS a real lifesaver for HAMS in the boonies. I like to troll for APRS stations as I travel here in Alaska. Whatever pops up usually has locations and PL tones for nearby repeaters and nodes. More current than the book at home.

There are a few threads going on about bluetooth helmets. Have any HAMs here played with them? Any good/bad experiences or recommendations. I'm dreaming of a helmet I can use for bikes and snowmobiles. It would be most helpful in keeping a group of snowmobilers together as a group and finding them when they get seperated. Better than running all the way to the parking lot to see if they went there. We do that with 2 meter anyway but we have to all stop and talk at the same time.

Ski-doo mobile
    ATV mobile
    Couch immobile

73s NL7PW

de n0egf...

Currently deep in 4 land (SW Florida)

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadgrrrl View Post
    Currently deep in 4 land (SW Florida)
    The only state with no snow!! If you have some HF gear, at night 3.927 a fun bunch.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks for the clue Omea Man. I thought it was code related but I wasn't sure. Ever since they took my plus away I can't remember if the dit comes before the dah or the dah comes before the dit.

APRS is pretty neat stuff although it might not save my life. If a HAM calls for help and nobody hears him is his signal readable? QST has a small article about some mini-sats recently launched from Kodiak that will be turned over to APRS use in awhile but it doesn't say what the coverage will be. My hope is they'll be geo-synchronous over Alaska and make APRS a real lifesaver for HAMS in the boonies. I like to troll for APRS stations as I travel here in Alaska. Whatever pops up usually has locations and PL tones for nearby repeaters and nodes. More current than the book at home.

There are a few threads going on about bluetooth helmets. Have any HAMs here played with them? Any good/bad experiences or recommendations. I'm dreaming of a helmet I can use for bikes and snowmobiles. It would be most helpful in keeping a group of snowmobilers together as a group and finding them when they get seperated. Better than running all the way to the parking lot to see if they went there. We do that with 2 meter anyway but we have to all stop and talk at the same time.

Ski-doo mobile
    ATV mobile
    Couch immobile

73s NL7PW
    The bluetooth hasn't got the range that I think your looking for. You could probably use the Autocom system that they use for motorcycles. Depending on what you want some of the Family Radio Service radios would probably work out well. Most have a VOX feature and some mike options. Probably have to keep the radios inside the jacket and run the wire up to avoid short battery life in the cold weather. The easiest way is to check what other snowmobilers in your travel area are doing. Possibly one of the Scala units would work also.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

wa4tog

DE/wa4tog

WA4TOG Danny from Mills River, NC.
    R1200GSA
    Danny