Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: QST, QST, QST - taking BMW-Net Check-in Now.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrakman View Post
    Gary,

Thanks for the reply. What was wrong with the fm broadcast performance of he ftm-10r? Also how did it do outside the normal 2 meter band? Specifically, how was the am aircraft band performance? Thanks.

Hank, n1ydy
    I don't think I ever tried the aircraft band Hank. On FM it would cut in and out while moving. I attribute this to the antenna- mainly. If I was parked and the station sounded good, it stayed that way.
    I didn't do a lot of transmitting- really. Hamature radio here in the Northeast have become rather sparse especially on 2M, 440 and 220.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Ed Kilner #176066

Another thing I no longer am...

but, back in 1960, I had just started High School, was 15, passed the exam and got a nice call sign, VE3EST. Never was all that active, but it did lead to an EE degree and an interesting career.

Somewhere in the mid-70s, a close friend asked if he could have the call sign. I wrote a letter, he hand carried it to the government and it was a done deal.

Back then, in the early 60's, folks generally bought their receivers and built their transmitters. Lots of phase type balanced modulators. Now there's a term I had not heard or thought of for decades!

I lusted over a Collins KWM-3 and wanted to visit Collins in Cedar Rapids. Never made it until the late '80's when I regularly visited the Rockwell Collins facility there while working for Litton Systems Canada Ltd.

Some good memories in the above.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Gary (or anybody else),

Any interest in selling the ftm-10?

Hank

Quote Originally Posted by wbrakman View Post
    Gary (or anybody else),

Any interest in selling the ftm-10?

Hank
    I traded mine off to a friend in AZ....It was a while back. I'll ask next time I talk to him. Hamature radio still quite active out "west".
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

KA7SIC

Is there any pics of ham radios on bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    KA7SIC

Is there any pics of ham radios on bikes?
    Did a Google image look. Had a co worker years ago that had a set up on his early GoldWing

http://www.wd6cmu.antennalaunchers.com/mm_radio.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gallery/2009/...orcycle-mounts

pic00695-1.jpg

Busy cockpit!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

6 Meters has been open!!! At least here along the east coast.
    Any time 6 is open- itís fun. Lots of contacts from Chicago to Miami to Canada. 4ís and 9ís this evening

.... ..

DE WB1-GIW

Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hey all! Tech here in California. Still a newbie with ham despite having my license for 3 years, but getting a little more into it lately. I am looking to mount a little tri-band mobile to my RT and trying to figure out the best antenna configuration. Would love to have it setup before my trip up to Seattle in August.

Going to take my general class soon and looking forward to the HF world. Nice meeting you all!

Nate
    KK6ZSK
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 98k miles & 1996 R850R - 28k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Hey all! Tech here in California. Still a newbie with ham despite having my license for 3 years, but getting a little more into it lately. I am looking to mount a little tri-band mobile to my RT and trying to figure out the best antenna configuration. Would love to have it setup before my trip up to Seattle in August.

Going to take my general class soon and looking forward to the HF world. Nice meeting you all!

Nate
    KK6ZSK
    I ran HF mobile on a Tundra truck with a 3 inch dia, 5 foot long aluminum cylinder...screwdriver motor coil setup where the coil disappears into the cylinder for tuning and then a whip which made the total height off the street 13.5 feet. It was as good as an at home setup. Obviously you can only run something like a Hamstick and I would guess 40M and up in frequency. The longer the antenna, the less coil you need which is where the power loss is.

One thing you might also consider, it's not HF, but consider DMR and C4FM. You can talk around the world on it. Some say it's not Ham Radio, but I usually do Ham Radio on 80 and sometimes 160 meters, and I like DMR.
    Basically you link to a repeater or your own hotspot like the Openspot2 and talk on an HT or Mobile uhf rig thru the internet. I use a DMR HT and an Openspot2 which links to my iPhone hotspot. Ideal for mobile, you don't have to take your eyes off the road, not restricted to band conditions, etc. And you get to talk to Europe, Asia, anywhere in the world on the WW channel. The digital audio is horrible quality, but readable, look it up.
    Chuck KE9UW
    but Jack on BMW motorcycles...it's a short story
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

ham

AC8TJ Bill

Hey Chuck. I'm not looking to do HF on the motorcycle, but looking for a 2m/1.25/70cm setup. My main issue is it's not really possible to have a ground plane. I could just get a no-ground-plane VHF antenna (half wave) as I mostly use 2m. Some places I ride are only covered by 1.25m repeaters though, so I'd like to have it as well.

I'm also eyeballing the Kenwood th-d74a, which looks like an amazing little HT (and gets me into digital with DStar).
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 98k miles & 1996 R850R - 28k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT