• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moto: BMW or otherwise; for vertically challenged person(s)

chuck3

Flat feet on the ground=confidence...Low center of gravity/light weight=same...Power-output not so important for beginner or inexperienced, but power delivery more so,gentle tractable power better...
For the beginner/inexperienced/vertically challenged rider looking for a BMW, in my humble opinion; (40yrs/motorcycling,30+yrs/BMW's):

1979-1984 R65; (50HP), (will pull 90MPH all day if needed), but is very easy to handle for novice. Seat height is still kinda high though, for anyone under about 5'4"...

2001-2005 F650CS; (50HP/ABS/heated grips), see above, plus this bike with low seat is good to about 5'2' or lower...

I ride a 2009 F800ST, and yes it does have a very sensitive/twitchy throttle! The new F models with the low chassis option do have benefits;lower seat height; maybe good down to 5'2" or even less, but the power available; (65-85HP), is just another variable for the novice rider to have to learn how to handle.

Just remember in Europe, they have stepped-licenses; nothing over 250cc/27HP for beginners. When you suggest to a new/novice rider a USA-spec BMW motorcycle, you're already doubling that power output...Everyone's natural ability is different,(MSF/training etc...helps), but wouldn't you want any of your loved-ones to have a safe rewarding, introduction to motorcycling?

Sure would!

When I started riding, Paul's Yamaha RD250 looked HUGE to me!

So my first ride was on my sister's 185 dirt bike. In an alfalfa field!

Voni
sMiling

Conversion!

My favourite is my conversion: R69S frame and 75/5 engine. This gives the low seat height, low COG, nice handling etc. The reason for the engine change is the magic start button. Learning to kickstart not required.
369240300_svt46-S.jpg

Most of my miles (over 10,000 per year) however, are on my 250 Yamaha Virago. Light and low and easy to handle plus mechanically very reliable. Can keep up on a flat interstate, doing 70mph all day. I did 500 miles in 9 hours in the midwest last year. It was pathetic climbing a 12,000 ft. pass in CO last summer, so I'm looking for a 650 V-star to ride to Redmond this year.
658944844_WsTz7-S.jpg

My height is 5' 2" (if I stretch.)

Holly

The Kawasaki Ninja parallel twin family: 250, 500, and now 650, also the new ER6 "naked" roadster (based on the 650 Ninja). Nice, light, narrow bikes, with low seat heights (and optional seats, too), excellent footpeg and bar placement, and a well earned reputation for reliabilty, easy to buy, own & insure, and good looking too.
(Note the red "sold" tag hanging off the brake lever, my wife's gone green!)

Attachments

• 100_2737.jpg
    100_2737.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back