• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine Guard

I have the Hepco Becker guards on my bike. They fit well, look good, IMHO and they allow removal of the valve cover for service without having to remove the bars. I believe most others need to be removed. If you have a shop do your valves, they may charge you for taking them off.

I dropped they bike once on a rather poor gravel, no change that to rock road, and a good clip. The left bars gave their life for the bike. I was able to replace just that side. I have put friction tape on the top of the bar that goes across the front of the motor. This way I can kick my feet up on the bars on longer rides and stretch some. The friction tape grabs onto the overpants rather well so I can actually relax and my legs won't fall off.

I have the Hepco Becker guards on my bike. They fit well, look good, IMHO and they allow removal of the valve cover for service without having to remove the bars. I believe most others need to be removed. If you have a shop do your valves, they may charge you for taking them off.

that's correct. i have HB on my 1150, and love them. they do, however, rust after being scratched, since they are not stainless steel.

for my HP2, i went with touratech, as it provides some additional protection in situations where you fall on ground with rocks sticking out of it. they also don't rust when scratched. however, they're not cheap and do have to be removed for valve maintenance. (this is a 5-minute process that somehow takes the dealer a half hour!)

you'll be fine with the HB bars. just keep some touchup paint handy.

i like that idea of the non-slip tape, too!

ian

After I dropped my GS and mangled the left side bars, I took them off, beat them back kinda close to shape with a small sledge hammer, shot them with some silver rust oleum and bolted them back on. Only after I had some extra money did I decided to replace the bent side.

Word or warning though, if you do dump the bike on the bars and they take a pretty good hit, I would replace all of the bolts. I did not do this and when I took off the right side several years later, first time off after drop, one of the bolts broke when I was putting the bars back on. Luckily it was not too far in and there was enough of a lip that I could tap it back out. I think the bolt was stressed enough when the bike went down, it weakened it and was just waiting to snap.

If I drop it again, I will contact HB and buy all new bolts all around.

Last edited:
Back