• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

trying to change change clutch fluid

JackGeurkink

Presently working on the K1200RS and having a problem with understanding how the cllutch fluid should be changed.

I do have the Clymer manual BMW K1200RS, GT & LT 1998-2005 looking at page 180.

At the end of the bleed hose is a crimped fitting (#3) . Attached to the crimped fitting is a part about 1" long not including the external thread that screw into the crimp fitting (#2) . This part has what looks like a set screw in the end (#1). When trying to remove the set screw (#1) the 5mm allen key stripped the hex out. I removed the 1" long piece (#2) from the crimp fitting (#3) thinking fluid would drip out. No fluid even when I pull in the clutch handle?

The dealer sold me a bleed screw BMW part number 34 21 2 330 310 (#4) to do this project. Is this bleed screw to be used with 1" long fitting (#2) or directly into the fitting crimped to the end of the hose?

Waht is the proper way to bleed clutch?

You need to remove that stupid set screw and install the bleeder valve. Some heat will soften the Loctite on the set screw, but don't melt the hose. (What were they thinking?)

Once the bleeder valve is in place - leave it, and use it as you would for brakes.

What they were thinking was to fill the system from the bottom at the factory. Unfortunately, it usualy resulted in overfilled resevoirs. And a pain for everybody who serviced the bikes after they left the factory.

You need to remove that stupid set screw and install the bleeder valve. Some heat will soften the Loctite on the set screw, but don't melt the hose. (What were they thinking?)

Once the bleeder valve is in place - leave it, and use it as you would for brakes.

Paul, thanks for the info. What I have now is the hose with only the crimped fitting with the female thread. No plug and the oil still does not want to drain. Could I have overheated and melted the hose closed?
Very much enjoy the articles in the BMWON! The bike a 2001 K1200RS has 130,000km and this is the first year I have decided to do the maintenance myself. All fluids changed except for clutch and brake, valve clearances checked and shim buckets installed & fuel filter changed. Overall really enjoying the hands on. Jack

There is a check valve in the fitting. You need to thread the bleeder your dealer sold you into the fitting. Thread it in until it stops, then loosen it it to bleed the fliud, just as you would a conventional system. You can also remove the entire device from the hose and simply screw a bleeder into the hoses end.

What they were thinking was to fill the system from the bottom at the factory. Unfortunately, it usualy resulted in overfilled resevoirs. And a pain for everybody who serviced the bikes after they left the factory.

Yeah, but Loctite???

Or solder a piersing pointer on the end of your fitting to relieve the check valve, 10 cent fix

Back