• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pushrod Centered in Tube

G

GTDOUG

This maybe a silly question but I noticed on my R100RT that the exhaust pushrods are not centered in the pushrod tube when the exhaust valve is fully closed. The pushrods are so close they maybe rubing on the pushrod tubes. This of course changes when the motor is rotated when the exhaust valves are opening. In reviewing Clymers manual nothing is metion about this.
GTDoug

Did you checvk last month's "Keep 'Em Flying" column in the BMWMOA News? This was addressed to a degree. The short answers are: "Yes it can happen" and "Do you own a dremel?".

Has the head been milled due to warping sometime in the past? That will also change the geometry.

What year RT? Later models had the updated rocker arms and needed the big fat washers under them. If someone retrofitted late model to an early model head, might cause some geometry issues.

Sorry about the lack of information...:doh It's a 1982 R100RT. The heads have been milled. I will check last months MOA issue.

Greg: Of course this is a later model, to my knowledge an earlier model head was not fitted to this motor. Everything I have read and looked up leads me to believe these are the orignal heads that have been milled, to my knowledge, only once. There is however 79K on the bike, so it is possible they have been milled more than once. I am still in contact with the previous owner and he does not think the heads were milled under his watch.

MAC: I hope your not serious about the dremel.:cry
Gentlemen, Thank you for your help.
GT Doug
83' R100RT
07' K1200GT

MAC: Thank you for your imput. The local BMW shop agrees that a little triming with a dremel on the pushrod is in order. I always get nervous when removing metal from a critical part.:bow
GTDoug

I would look at the pushrods and see if they are rubbing. They might look like they are rubbing and they are not. It is normal that they are not centered for a full rotation of the camshaft. Sometimes a head gasket is installed backwards and this may cause the pushrod to rub on the gasket as it is not lined up properly with the pushrod tubes. The pushrod rotates when in use. The shop recommends trimming the pushrod down in diameter? They know they are hollow, right?

If the heads have been milled, you need to add 4 washers to bring the arms back up to get the geometry right...or the pushrods will rub:doh

Check in the Book to see what the factory head deck heigth should be and find the difference to yours..that's the size of the 4 washers.

Dave is right that a backwards head gasket will cause rubbing...but the milling is more likely the root cause.

Greg and Dave,
Thanks for the timely responce. I am looking into the washer cure. I did not feel comfortable griding on a hollow tube. I pays to take your time on these kind of projects.
GTDoug

The airhead article is about CAREFULLY milling a tiny amount from the end/inside edge of the pushrod TUBE, NOT the pushrod itself! This is after examination that the pushrod was being worn down by contact with the sharp inside edge on the end of the pushrod tube.

Back