Thread: Transmission question

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.

Transmission question

I had heard a rumor that there had been problems with some of the early model 04 year transmissions in the 1150's. It had something to do with vibration issues I believe. Has anyone heard anything about this? I'd like to find out one way or another if there had been issues that required either a rebuild or replacement that caused the factory to change the gear box later in the production year. I have no idea if there is any truth to the rumor and am trying to find out if there is.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    I had heard a rumor that there had been problems with some of the early model 04 year transmissions in the 1150's. It had something to do with vibration issues I believe. Has anyone heard anything about this? I'd like to find out one way or another if there had been issues that required either a rebuild or replacement that caused the factory to change the gear box later in the production year. I have no idea if there is any truth to the rumor and am trying to find out if there is.
    Never heard anything like the. (I'm an '04 RT Owner too, and follow the db's pretty closely)

trannies

Never heard anything about it. Nor is there anything in the parts fiche indicating any changes. The last 1150 transmission change was in 8/2002. For one thing, the size of the faces of the gear that adjoined the rear bearing was enlarged to better protect the rear bearing.

I've got an '04 GS with 44,000 miles--no problems. Like jfremder I have followed the GS threads closely since 2004 and not seen any mention of a specific problem with the tranny. Final drives are a different matter.
    The guy who should be able to conclusively answer your question is Anton Lager, frequent poster on ADVRIDER.com. He specializes in BMW twin tranny repairs.
    Last edited by PETDOC; 02-01-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: additional information
    2004 R 1150 GS