• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

0-dark thirty...

B

Bruce_H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0-dark thirty...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 30, 2010

It was 0-dark thirty as I wheeled my trusty ship into the morning air, light was at least an hour away. A lingering mist from last nights rain hangs like a fog obscuring anything distant. I lit the candles on my voyager, their light slices thru the darkness making a path to follow guiding us towards our destination. We would meet at Allan Brothers in Albany where coffee would be the first order of the day. Bernie, who lives on the Washington side of the Columbia river would be leaving about the same time, in the mood we were...

The farm country in the mid Willamette Valley provides and interesting network of roads, most of them paved. We cross the freeway stopping in at the Thompson Flour Mill, not much going on here yet this morning. The day was still new so, back across the freeway on a different path. That lingering mist is still with us leaving radiant rings in all the puddles. We continued thru Brownsville, Crawfordsville and then Sweet Home. Here, the decision was made, we would see just how far we could get before snow and ice invaded the roadway.

The river was beautiful as we cruised along its banks. The water crystal clear as it slides over the smooth rocks then turning frothy cascading over the boulders on its way to the sea. The road here leans left then right and back left again, repeating itself with an occasional straight stretch. I keep thinking as I watch the temperature go down and down we will hit snow and have to turn around. Somewhere Oregon has lost much if its normal snow pack, it is not until we are almost at the summit there is snow.

01_30_100101.jpg

Tombstone Pass, we have arrived... A snow plow driver stops to chat and ask about the road conditions on the other side.
He has been plowing the east side but hasn't been down what we just came up.
The conditions might appear formidable, voyagers we are.

01_30_100221.jpg

Bruce & Bernie, thanks for riding along...

Back