• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I don't know if its good or bad

T

tourist

I have an opportunity to buy (and most likely will) a class a RV in really good condition. One problem is that I'm not really into trailering my bike. I have always thought it to be cheating in a way. I do understand the convenience and have thought about other good and the bad points.
My original plan was to ride my bike to alaska then down to the rally and then back home. I really don't have a reason to go to alaska just thought it would be cool.

Now with the rv I'm thinking of scrapping the alaska route and heading to the rally early and just riding around out west for 3-4 days and maybe taking a little more relaxing trip.

It cost 150 bucks for tues thru sunday at the rally grounds.
Is there another better place for rvs out there?
Is anybody experienced (or not) in rv traveling that is going out there early to do some riding out west?
It occurs to me that I could use other people to drive the rv while I ride out there.
Did I miss a post of other people doing the rv thing?
how many are doing the rv thing?

I have an opportunity to buy (and most likely will) a class a RV in really good condition. One problem is that I'm not really into trailering my bike. I have always thought it to be cheating in a way. I do understand the convenience and have thought about other good and the bad points.
My original plan was to ride my bike to alaska then down to the rally and then back home. I really don't have a reason to go to alaska just thought it would be cool.

Now with the rv I'm thinking of scrapping the alaska route and heading to the rally early and just riding around out west for 3-4 days and maybe taking a little more relaxing trip.

It cost 150 bucks for tues thru sunday at the rally grounds.
Is there another better place for rvs out there?
Is anybody experienced (or not) in rv traveling that is going out there early to do some riding out west?
It occurs to me that I could use other people to drive the rv while I ride out there.
Did I miss a post of other people doing the rv thing?
how many are doing the rv thing?

There are some that would agree with you, but I don't. There are a lot of good reasons members trailer their bikes. Look at the idea of a "Rally Train" in the Rally Forum.

Look forward to meeting you in Redmond!

PS No RV experience so no help there. Sorry

I saw that thread but kind of got the impression that it was a real train. I wonder if I can tow a 33 foot rv with my bike?

Nothing wrong with a trailer there's a first time for everything.

I saw that thread but kind of got the impression that it was a real train. I wonder if I can tow a 33 foot rv with my bike?

Nothing wrong with a trailer there's a first time for everything.

That's funny. :thumb

I travel by a class A diesel pusher pretty much for a living . I average 15-20,000 miles a year. This year will be the 20,000 + year. I plan on being in Redmond. If your taking the MH and your bike I would suggest putting your bike in an enclosed trailer. Some people have lifts on the back of their MH's to carry their motorcycle. My MH has a rear radiator and it is not recommended, it wouldn't matter to me anyway because your bike would get filthy if not protected behind a MH which is why I recommend an enclosed trailer.
I'm not sure where you'll be leaving from ( for me it's a 6000 mile round trip) I would highly recommend having it checked out before hand very thoroughly.
If you do not have towing insurance specific for a class A MH, BUY IT! If you break down in one of these things and have to be towed, it's big bucks! $1000-$2000 is not unheard of for a tow. I would recommend Coach Net's Motorsports Advantage Program, about $129.00 per year. They would also tow your trailer too if you break down should you purchase one.
If it's a diesel make sure you have extra fuel filters with you at all times and make sure YOU know how to change them.
When I'm traveling in my car or ridding my bike I'm usually 20mph+ over the speed limit once I hit the Interstate. You can forget all about that when driving a class A. I set the cruise for 62MPH and listen to satellite radio.
You really do not want to get in a an accident in one of these things, probably the worst vehicles in world to protect the occupants. They pretty much fall apart like an airplane crash.
Any more question feel free to ask!

This rv is from a real close friend and have been told that the engine and drive train would out last everything else. The last few years it may not have been taken care of as good as it should of been but still an awesome buy. I would be doing the maintenance and will have to go through the whole thing before any trip. I can be motivated to do alot more to avoid a 2000 dollar tow bill. Ouch.
I think my biggest concern is the cost of gas. I hoping it will get 30 miles to the gallon. I know, but I can still hope. Still got to check into insurance.
This might just turn into an investment to quickly resell also.

You're kidding!

Most RVs get 10-12mpgs or even less into the single digits for mileage. RVs at Rallies are very common, with 100s showing up the last few rallies I've been to. You won't be alone. Redmond has the BEST RV facilities of any recent rally we've had, period! A KOA used to be just 10 miles North of Redmond, if you wish to be outside of town. The rally site itself has over a 100 full hookup sites, which WILL fill rapidly so be the early bird for one of these, when registration opens here on this site...Thats all the poop I know. Happy Trails, Randy:thumb

This rv is from a real close friend and have been told that the engine and drive train would out last everything else. The last few years it may not have been taken care of as good as it should of been but still an awesome buy. I would be doing the maintenance and will have to go through the whole thing before any trip. I can be motivated to do alot more to avoid a 2000 dollar tow bill. Ouch.
I think my biggest concern is the cost of gas. I hoping it will get 30 miles to the gallon. I know, but I can still hope. Still got to check into insurance.

I've had my motorhome experience with a motor home that was several years old low mileage. The powertrain never gave me a second's problem. However, like a motorcycle, lack of use is what gets you stranded. Sitting a lot caused many things deterioriate and I had a problem almost every time I took a trip. I had radiatior hoses break, belts break, tire belts break, WS wiper plastic clips break, leaks at seams and other things. In addition, I had to insure it, tag it and keep it inspected year round (in addition to personal property taxes and servicing it).

I finally decided that if I had to keep something serviced and insured, I would buy something I could use throughout the year. I bought a pick-up truck and a travel trailer. I can put my bike in the bed of the truck and travel to my destination with the travel trailer. The truck gives few problems because it is used throughout the year and I can run errands and use the truck while camping. The inconvenience of going to the store with a motorhome was a pain.

Ken

As mentioned by osbornk a motorhome that doesn't really get used can be big problems. Generators need to be run every month, does the refrigerator work? How about the inverter? What drive train is in it? When was it serviced last? Transmission depending if it's an Allison or not is usually the weakest part of a gas MH. When was that service?
I hope your in jest with the 30 MPG as the only way you would see that would be to drive it off a cliff and even then it would depend how tall the cliff was and how long it took to get to it!
Insurance really isn't bad at all, much cheaper then the family car but once again get that extra towing policy from someone else.
MH are not good investments even in good economic times. Unless your getting this for just about nothing it's unlikely you'll make a dime and more likely you'll lose money. There have been quit a few manufactures that have closed there doors over the last two years. You might want to check if this MH is one of them.
Having said all these things RVing is the only way I want to travel, once you get a taste of it many people never return back to the motel/hotel, tent thing.

Trailer Life

http://www.trailerlife.com I have had a motorhome for years...check out this very good forum

Back