• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

inventions Cheap, Affordable, and My Idea!

redclfco

Inventions Cheap, Affordable, and My Idea!

As Pat C. so eloquently stated about my threads “useless information can go in one ear and out the other", my threads may be true of that harsh criticism, but today's Campfire forum seems to be sprouting cobwebs of inactivity, so in order to join the fun, here I go!

I have had great inventions over the years that never quite hit the Billy May show (Rest in peace, Billy~sniff, snort) but I thought they could have been a hit when I thought them up; low and behold every last idea was s stolen, ripped off, and reproduced the old SRR in life!

Does anybody else have things you thought up that never quite made the patent office?

TITLE: "Zippy Pee" or "Let Her Rip"

WHAT IS IT: Woman's urethra extender was an idea I came up with my SO for backpacking purposes and boating excursions. Try to imagine the dilemma of a woman when she's got 40 pounds of Mountain Smith internal frame pack on her back, and having to take it off, lower the shorts and attempt to take a pee on a steep hillside wile the rest of the hiking party patiently waits.

Try to imagine being a woman, full of gin and tonic aboard a small 17 ft. Chris Craft; then imagine the AGONY as each wave violently rocks the boat, while she patiently holds her bladder back waiting for the ship's captain (me) to find a place to land the boat so she can pee. I might also note that the men sailors are all setting happy as little clams, having already "let HIM rip" from the stern of the boat. The invention was to be designed in two forms; one made of Styrofoam that could be disposed of after each use for the boat, and a more durable one for back packing made of light weight, low cost plastic. For those speed readers in the crowd who may of missed the premise here, , the "zippy pee"worked like this; said purchaser would un zip her jeans or pants, and place the plastic/foam funnel between her legs up close and personal, thus extending her urethra, allowing her to let er rip any where, any place! No more pulling the pants down, no more taking off the back pack, no more women’s suffrage on the rocking waves of the sea! We thought it was a GREAT idea!

WHY I"M NOT RICH:
We looked into it, and the initial cost of development and patent and marketing would never have reached the point of actually seeing return; at least that's what we were told...

The end of the story is that this product was successfully brought to production, and is of the rubber variety, and can be found on the shelves at REI and other reputable backpacking stores. Cheap, affordable, and my idea!

TITLE: Custom Wooden Shelves

WHAT IS IT:

Pre packaged 4 ft knotty pine shelving with custom wooden supports, ready to install... shelving ready to go, with no fuss no muss and no skill, other than how to run a screwdriver!. My friend just bought a new house, but had no money to finish all the trimmings so for his housewarming, I created four 4ft. shelves made of scrap knotty pine, and quickly cut out custom "L" brackets for supports. I put four screws and little plastic wall inserts into a plastic bag, along with custom oak plugs to cover the screw heads. I gave everything quick sand down to 100 grit, and stained all of the components a Minwax Fruitwood color. Seeing how this was before the days of stain/urethane mix, the final step was a light coating of spar urethane, which actually was the most time consuming activity on these shelves! When I went to getting them together as a gift, the idea came to me to package all with a hunk of leftover white cardboard and plastic. When first tried it, it looked, well, not gift like, so I had a chunk of window plastic shrink wrap. I stapled it to the cardboard using a folded out paper stapler in several spots, arranged the boards and supports onto the cardboard, covered all with the clear plastic, and borrowed the SO's hair dryer and shrunk the plastic to fit. WOW! When I was finished, it was better than any of that cheeep plastic shelving, was real wood, and cost me nothing to put together other than a little time and 75 cents of hardware and stain! It was a hit with my friend at the house warming, and for a party trick, he ripped it open, and had it all installed while we all watched! I think I must have built a dozen or so packages for friends that attended that housewarming. Keep in mind, this was 1984? Long before someone else....

WHY I"M NOT RICH:
I never did anything with it. I always thought it was a great idea, but never followed up. Now of course, wood grain, pre-packaged shelving is everywhere at your home Depot or local hardware store! Cheap, affordable, and my idea!

Anybody else have a great invention, wasted away in your mind that someone else made a big hit?

Last edited:
i had an idea for an "adjustable supercharger" that used something similar to a snowmobile/moped centrifugal transmission to adjust the performance/fuel consumption ratio to a desired level.

but

i'm 1 not an engineer, 2 not sure if this has already been developed, 3 first considered it while watching mad max and saw him constantly turning the blower "on" and "off" and thought "that's sorta bs" .

so this idea never went anywhere.

The motorcycle was invented in the late 1860's, that is if you wish to give credit to a steam operated motorcycle. It was an invention credited to Sylvester Roper (American ). Gottlieb Daimler actually gets credit for the first gasoline engine driven motocycle, invented in the 1880's. I don't know if either inventor patented their machines. I am glad motorcycles were invented. Do you think motorbikes would be allowed on the highways today if they were invented in our present era? I think not. Sorry Dale, a bit of a hijack. But it got me to thinking about patents. I wonder how long those have been around?
JD

As Pat C. so eloquently stated about my threads ÔÇ£useless information can go in one ear and out the other", my threads may be true of that harsh criticism

I was just answering why we have two ear's. I would never be critical of your threads. That would be an insult. I apologize if you took it that way. :hug
So there you get a big hug!

Take Care
Pat Carol

They said I had no chance with the bEATLES..

sO i STARTED pINK flOYD

quit that cause they didnt like me making animal sounds.. Later found they were using it..
dang it

I once told Andy warhol, he might as well paint soup cans with that talent..
missed da boat..:banghead

Made a super absorbant man dyper.. failed..
but i left a sample..

SHAMWOW..

now ya know..

Well I did develop a rear window frame for pickup that rolled the rear window up and down into the back of the truck.. never did anything with it.. took a seat motor and rack and made a rail.. worked.. Sigh

That one I DID do

I came up with a one piece motorcycle lift (jack) for a bike that I had removed the centerstand from. all my friends were impressed and said I should Patent it. I didn't...anywhere and everywhere you go nowdays you see them. mostly at race tracks. OH well...

first motorcycle

to :jamesdunn

Question was Sylvester Roper the same Mr. Roper from "Three's Company" fame???

Sorry That start the morning off bad.

Jack

Red, mine was a hydrophone that would be towed behind a sailboat to pick up the sound of other traffic when in low visibility conditions, under autopilot, single-handing, or slipping below for a little....well, you know, lunch. Since the one common denominator of everything that can hurt you is that they make noise going through the water, I figured it would at the least alert the crew to go topsides and look around. A squelch filter could block random noise and add an amplifier and a speaker and the kids can listen to the dolphins and such. My research found that it could be manufactured for under $100 including an extra hydrophone in case you lost one.

I also designed a continuous line lazy-jack system for capturing the mainsail and installed about 15 of them on customer's boats. It is now produced by a major sailing equipment manufacturer.

I had a lot of time to think about stuff like this, but didn't pursue them. I had nothing to do with Windows 7; oops, wrong thread!

Tom

I live fairly close to the main rail line across Canada. A few years ago there was a gap in the line across from the house that made lotsa noise(you could count the wheels at 2:00AM).

So I came up with this brilliant idea about a cart dragged behind the train with an impact sensor, GPS, and paint spotter that could alert repair crews about trouble spots.

Weeks after that I saw the crew fixing the track and walked over to see how they knew where the trouble was.

Well, we have a cart we drag behind the train with an impact sensor, GPS, and paint spotter that tells us about trouble spots.

So I'm smart(I guess), but slow.

Please do not get your hopes up on taking credit for Windows 8. I am a very
good friend of Bill Gates and he personally assured me that I would be listed
as the patent holder of Windows 8 whenever thet get around to it.

Heart rate/pulse on your wrist watch

As a young Air Force officer, I discussed with my chums how great it would be if we could develop a wrist sensor to show you pulse rate...putting it into a watch with stop watch and other functions. I've stopped kicking myself since I'm positive the "bright idea" was not limited to me.

Back