• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Low Suspension Seat

R

RICMAU9

Any one have experience with the comfort of this one piece seat on this model- just bought a leftover 09 and while I am paying for it I do not take delivery until June when I go from Florida to Connecticut. The Sargent low seat would actually be 1 inch higher than the stock seat.

seat

Low Seat

I too have a 2009 low suspension, low seat model RT and I have found the one piece seat very uncomfortable. Mine is currently in a box awaiting shipment to Russell Cycle Products to be turned into a new seat. They offer two options, the "day-long" saddle, which I'd like if I can keep it low enough or a "sport saddle" which can be built to exactly the same height as my current saddle. Once I come up on the build calendar in February the builder is going to call me and we'll decide which one based on my inseam challenged measurements, I'd prefer the day long, but if I have to settle for the sport saddle it would be a great improvement over the low seat that came with the bike. The sport saddle is 20% less expensive than the "Day Long" saddle. We'll see.......I looked at the low Sargent World Sport Seat and read some reviews and decided that if I'm going to spend that much money on a seat I think I'd rather go with something that is built specifically for me. The difference in cost is not that much different from what I can see. I decided on Russell because I've never heard a bad thing about them. Good luck with your choice. Don

I have the low version of the Sargent World Sport seat and after a long trip I have now purchased an Alaskan Leather sheep skin for it.. Kind of defeats the purpose of the low model! Not sure now what I had expected form the seat but certainly expected it to be more butt friendly than it is for me.

I did a Russell several years ago on my 04 RT- had problems with the width on the day long so much so that I could not get my feet to the ground.

Wide Seat

That's one of the issues I'm going to discuss with the builder. I'd like to see if
the seat can be scupted so that the front part of it is very narrow with the rear being wider. I'm hoping to be able to slide forward and drop down to make a foothold and then pop up and back when I get going again. We'll see.... Don

Just spoke with Russel and their seat is one inch higher than the stock seat PLUS
you have to take into account the width- those seat wings caused me problems on my last rt even after being modified-they force your legs out and they hit the back of my legs.
They say the wings can not be modified as they are part of seat spring system.

Good Information

That's good information to have, I may end up with the sport seat instead if that is
the case.

I have a Russell on a cruiser and it is a wonderful seat. I've never ridden with a seat more comfortable. However I will do most of my long distance riding on my RT which has the low suspension seat. I've only had it three months and not many miles but so far the seat's been OK. But I'm leery of a Beemer seat for my buttox. If I have to go to a custom seat I'll opt for the Russell. Raising me up an inch is a trade out I'm willing to accept. I just wish they didn't have to spread my legs out as well as up.

I have the stock 1 piece seat on my low suspension '09 RT and I think it's fine. Have done >1000 mile days on it and many 500 miles days in a row without any behind issues.

Good thing, since I'm already on my tippy toes....

Low seat

I bought a 09 RT with the low seat, low suspension and changed the seat for the standard OEM two piece. Best thing I did! The one piece doesn't have any cushioning and believe me it makes your ride very miserable. Now I'm very happy with my new setting.

I have the stock 1 piece seat on my low suspension '09 RT and I think it's fine. Have done >1000 mile days on it and many 500 miles days in a row without any behind issues.

Good thing, since I'm already on my tippy toes....

Nancy,
How tall are you, if I may ask? My wife just ordered her 2010 RT with the low suspension/low seat combo...she's 5'6".

Last edited:
Hi, I have a standard suspension model with a low seat. I ordered, and just received a Kontour seat. I have not taken it out of the box yet. But I plan to today and take it for a spin. I initiated a post, earlier on in this forum, on custom seats - Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russel vs Others - you may want to read all of the comments there.

I too am inseam challenged for these tall bikes.

Neil

Becky tried a standard suspension/low seat combo, but it still put her on her toes. Therefore she decided to go with the low suspension model...

Has anyone tried the Corbin "low seat"...how would it be on a low suspension model?

Russell Seat

I got my Russell Day-Long Seat last Friday and put it on my low-suspension, low seat 2009 RT. The seat is beautiful and is amazingly comfortable, but it does raise me up about an inch just like they said it would. I will be on my tip toes at stops to balance the bike at stops and learning how to stop using one leg I think. It got warm here over the weekend and I was tempted to take it out, but I'm waiting until my engine guards arrive and I get them on the bike. I'm determined to overcome this problem without sacrificing comfort. My plan is to ride this through the break in period as suggested and see if it lowers a little, the next step will probably be to consider shorter shocks. The Russell Day-Long saddle is everything that they advertise it to be from what I can see, I can hardly wait to go out for a day on this new saddle. Don

Beemeup-What is your inseam- I usually wear boots on my 03 with a Sargent. Also is it a two or one piece seat- if two did you have to put in brackets as Sargent requires.

Seat

I have a 29 inch inseam. The seat is the one piece design that is the seat that comes with the low suspension, low seat model. My Russell is built on that seat pan.
Don

Hi, I have a standard suspension model with a low seat. I ordered, and just received a Kontour seat. I have not taken it out of the box yet. But I plan to today and take it for a spin. I initiated a post, earlier on in this forum, on custom seats - Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russel vs Others - you may want to read all of the comments there.

I too am inseam challenged for these tall bikes.

Neil

Neil,

What's your impression of the KonTour seat? The polar mesh material looks comfortable but how is the support? Is there a great degree of difference from the OEM low seat?

TIA

Back