• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Low Suspension Seat

Bumping this for updates, if any. I have a 2011 RT with a low seat/low suspension. With a 29" inseam, I want to keep the same height as stock (29.5"), but gain some comfort. Has anyone modified the one-piece low seat with any success? After 225 miles today, my bum is numb!

TIA,
Ken

Bumping this for updates, if any. I have a 2011 RT with a low seat/low suspension. With a 29" inseam, I want to keep the same height as stock (29.5"), but gain some comfort. Has anyone modified the one-piece low seat with any success? After 225 miles today, my bum is numb!

TIA,
Ken

Have you tried the beads yet? https://www.beadrider.com/shop/ I've been using them for years on my RT. Also good on hot days and when it rains. :thumb

Russell Sport Seat

I went with a Russell Sport Seat. Had them shave some thickness off of the "nose" of the seat (where it mates with the tank). Initially when I installed the seat, it was a little tall, but it's settled in and I'm right back at stock height. It took about 1000 miles to break in.

I'm sending it back in this winter for a few adjustments. One is to move the "pan" (where your hiney actually sets), back about 1/2 inch and ask them to add a little more padding to the front of the pan. My current seat gives me a slight forward lean and I'd like to set back a little more. However, that might be due to the way the nose of the seat is thinned down.

I'm also considering adding a backrest to the seat. The part of the Russell seat where the drivers seat transitions to the passengers would offer some back rest area, but for me it leans away from the drivers area too far for me to use it as such.

I'm a short fella (5'5", 28.5 - 29 in inseam) and with the Russell Sport Seat, I'm still on the balls of my feet, but I'm learned to come off the seat when stopping at an intersection and planning well when finding a parking spot! But it's more than worth it on the road. Those "wings" offer great support for long miles. And they don't cause any problems when stopping/starting. I'd also give some thought about the color/pattern you'll go with. My seat builder recommended the small diamond pattern for maximum airflow and so far it seems to be working well. I went with the Medium Grey and it compliments my Ostra Grey RT.

Be sure to call and talk to your builder by phone. Don't rely on e-mails.
C

Has anyone tried the Corbin "low seat"...how would it be on a low suspension model?

I put the Corbin low seat on my low suspension bike this summer. It's about the same height as the stoke seat (still on my tippy toes) but comfort wise it's fine. I put about 20K on it this summer, including back to back to back 1000 mile days. No butt issues for me. :)

I have a one-piece Corbin and it works fine, although I haven't spent more than a cuple hours at a time on it. I have maybe a thousand miles on it, and supposedly it takes a couple thousand to really break it in. Can't use the heater with it.

I also use the beads on a Beemer low seat. That works pretty well too. That lets me use the heat, but the beads defeat it.

I need to put in a few long days to know what works best. So far I prefer the Corbin.

I went with a Russell Sport Seat. Had them shave some thickness off of the "nose" of the seat (where it mates with the tank). Initially when I installed the seat, it was a little tall, but it's settled in and I'm right back at stock height. It took about 1000 miles to break in.

I'm sending it back in this winter for a few adjustments. One is to move the "pan" (where your hiney actually sets), back about 1/2 inch and ask them to add a little more padding to the front of the pan. My current seat gives me a slight forward lean and I'd like to set back a little more. However, that might be due to the way the nose of the seat is thinned down.

I'm also considering adding a backrest to the seat. The part of the Russell seat where the drivers seat transitions to the passengers would offer some back rest area, but for me it leans away from the drivers area too far for me to use it as such.

I'm a short fella (5'5", 28.5 - 29 in inseam) and with the Russell Sport Seat, I'm still on the balls of my feet, but I'm learned to come off the seat when stopping at an intersection and planning well when finding a parking spot! But it's more than worth it on the road. Those "wings" offer great support for long miles. And they don't cause any problems when stopping/starting. I'd also give some thought about the color/pattern you'll go with. My seat builder recommended the small diamond pattern for maximum airflow and so far it seems to be working well. I went with the Medium Grey and it compliments my Ostra Grey RT.

Be sure to call and talk to your builder by phone. Don't rely on e-mails.
C

I never saw this sport option on their site before...great alternative. Do you think you can add a backrest with the plastic seat pan?

I never saw this sport option on their site before...great alternative. Do you think you can add a backrest with the plastic seat pan?

Here's more info on the Russell Sport Seat: http://www.day-long.com/new_pages/SportSeats.html

According to Russell, they can add the backrest to my Sport Seat. But now that you've mentioned it, I think I'll give them a call and find out how they do it. That's the good thing about Russell, they're easy to contact and get information from.

Good luck,

C

Sargent Seat

I have a Sargent two piece low seat, for sale. No heat. It was custom made with black perforated leather with a gore tex liner underneath. I liked the seat, my passenger did not. It was about $600, I'll sell it for $300. It only has a few hours on it and looks brand new. I can send pictures.

Regards, Don

I have a Sargent two piece low seat, for sale. No heat. It was custom made with black perforated leather with a gore tex liner underneath. I liked the seat, my passenger did not. It was about $600, I'll sell it for $300. It only has a few hours on it and looks brand new. I can send pictures.

Regards, Don

Do you know if it will work with my bike, which has the one-piece low seat? (Sorry, still a noobe!)

Regards, Don

I just confirmed with the dealer that it will work. Can you send me pics via pm? Thanks.

Regards, Don

Just wanted to say thanks, Don. Got the seat installed and put 200 miles on it yesterday...what a huge improvement! :D

Back