• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Safe tie-down of RT in pickup?

chpbike

Hello,

I've done this with other bikes but not my 99 R1100RT. I've heard that it's difficult to find tie-down points on the bike (because of fairings) to secure it safely in the back of a pickup.

This weekend I need to load it up and haul it a few hundred miles. I would appreciate any tips on safely securing it in the truck (Dodge 1500 Ram).

Thanks and ride safely!

Scott

I purchased a set of handlebar straps that go around the hand grips. From there I could tie down the handlebar and compress the shocks down. I then tie down the rear across the rear seat. I then tie the front wheel to a load bar.

But then again "my" truck is the company's 48' cargo trailer with an air ride suspension.

Scott,
I use soft ties, those figure 8 style straps. Place them on each fork tube just above the fender. Since there's no fork springs like old style forks, you just tension them enough to hold it down. The soft ties keep the strap hook away from the fender and any other painted parts. For the rear of the bike, remove the plastic covers just ahead of the side bags. Use the soft ties and loop them around the rear sub frame. I usually strap the rear down from the sub frame in two places per side. near the footpeg and the other just behind the rear wheel. The bike is very stable on the trailer or truck when tied down in this manner. Always check your straps after the first few miles.

Hope this helps,
Mark

From once owning an airhead I know a lot about bikes in the back of trucks. I'd check the straps after the first few miles as flat_twin said. I'd also check them at every stop as well just to be sure. Also if it rains be extra dilligent about checking them.

Thanks guys for the tips. Brad, can you clarify about the straps you put on the handlebars? Do they go from grip to grip and then do you attach the tie downs to this strap? Sorry but I'm having a hard time picturing it. I wonder if any of the local cycle shops or BMW dealers might carry it in stock.

Mark, also in regards to securing it on the front forks above the fender. Won't the straps slide down and crush the fender?

I like the idea of removing the side covers and attaching to the sub-frame there. Good idea.

Thanks again,
Scott

I hate to butt into this, but my dealer told me NEVER to use handlebar straps as the bars will break when compressing the front suspension.
The way to strap the RT down is to go around the front fork tubes above the fender with nylon webbing and then tighten down on these straps. No need to compress the front suspension at all. The rear is tied down by removing the black fairing panels near the saddlebags (take them off too) and strap around the frame and compress the rear suspension.NOT all the way down.

The only time I ever trailered my RT was from my dealer to my house when I first got it. The trailer had to be at my place so two fly's one swat etc. ;)

CHPBike said:
Thanks guys for the tips. Brad, can you clarify about the straps you put on the handlebars? Do they go from grip to grip and then do you attach the tie downs to this strap? Sorry but I'm having a hard time picturing it. I wonder if any of the local cycle shops or BMW dealers might carry it in stock.

Mark, also in regards to securing it on the front forks above the fender. Won't the straps slide down and crush the fender?

I like the idea of removing the side covers and attaching to the sub-frame there. Good idea.

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott, There's a fork brace at the top of the fender that will keep the soft ties in place. The method I described earlier is what I do with my flatbed trailer. You may have to make changes if your tie down points are other than the floor of the truck bed. Like, if you use the corner hooks in the truck bed that are 16 or so inches off the floor. You'll need more straps and ties to keep the bike stable.

Mark

handlebar strap

I use a "Canyon Dancer" strap for holding down h'bars. Cost me almost $30 but it's specially made for holding down the bars by the grips. I won't use it on the Harley, however, because the HD has rubber-mounted handlebars (plus there are lots of good tiedown points on it).

I,too, take the rear side panels off and use figure 8 straps to go over the frame rails, then strap to the trailer front and rear.

Actually I use 2 straps at each point of attachment after breaking a strap once! The 2nd one is merely to keep a broken strap from allowing the bike to fall or lean!

"flat twin" is dead on ! Never use the handlebars to tie down a telelever BMW !

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Tiedown2.pdf Shows on a cruiser - same idea.

On my R1100RSL I put the front soft straps around the bottom of the front shock ( that keeps them from rubbing the fender) and on the K1200RS as described by "flat twin", above the fork brace on fork tubes. You must tie the rear also.

On my trailor I have two heavy duty cycle vises, actually much heavyer than those on the "handy lift" in my shop, so it's more of a one man operation. Got them from powerXports (800-340-5979) in Anaheim Ca.

There is actually an article in "sporttouring" with misinformation. (i.e. using handlebars)

No, I have never trailored my bikes anywhere, yet, just use the enclosed trailor to store two of them in winter.....but who knows when I may need it...nice to have around

IF you need a tiedown point down in the truckbed may I suggest some "bedbolts" (www.bedbolts.net -Bed Bolts, Inc 19191 S.E. Baty Rd. Sandy Or. 97055) They have a very strong and large eye which is removable, but the base stays and is unobtrusive. I personally, prefer to use tiedown straps without the hooks, just a strap doubled back to the ratchet, so, the large eyes put less strain on them.

I now use a similar meathod on my R90/6 and K100RS and will never tie to bars again. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link, Boofer!

I printed it out and put it in the RT's maint folder for future reference. I use a Pingel wheel chock, and would like a wheel vise instead...I'll have to wait, though.

I will put the Canyon Dancer up for sale; lots of uses for them, but it looks like I'm done with it. I was uncomfortable with handlebar hold down anyway, but the Telelever looks like a different beast than regular forks.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I hauled it a few hundred miles using the methods described above without a problem. Got to ride it 300 miles back towards home too!

Thanks again!

Scott

:twirl

Back