Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no more sight glass paranoia

marbil

no more sight glass paranoia

While the bike is apart I thought I would take the opportunity to put a new sight glass in and make it stay
    I picked the beefy area‘«÷s drilled about 3/8 deep and tapped with a 4-40 local hardware store did not have anything metric smaller than 4mm so I went SAE .small stainless socket head a flat washer and a little locktite
    I don‘«÷t think it will leave its home now
    I am pretty sure I saw someone else on this site do the same thing it was quick and simple.
    Still need to make up my mind what to do with my tranny ( who to send it to for rebuild )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fix to a potential problem. I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose the sight glass while on a trip. Most of the threads I've read about this issue have addressed RT owners suffering the loss close to home. Regardless, is there a mileage milestone one must be concerned about or is this a matter of the problem arising only on certain bikes? Aside from that this is one of the reasons I always ride with my BMWMOA Anonymous book.

Rally Rat
    [QUOTE=spanky;541197]is there a mileage milestone one must be concerned about QUOTE]

My rule has been if the sight window shows any seepage, it's time to replace. I also carry a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by jfremder View Post
    My rule has been if the sight window shows any seepage, it's time to replace. I also carry a spare.
    Good point and a good reminder to check it regularly. However, by carrying a spare you're insinuating that replacing the sight glass can be done "on the road." Can it?

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Good point and a good reminder to check it regularly. However, by carrying a spare you're insinuating that replacing the sight glass can be done "on the road." Can it?
    If it blows out, a new one is easily tapped in place with either the old one or the right sized socket and a handy rock.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Several have simply drilled holes in the lip and run a strip of safety wire across it.

It may be just the photo, but yours does not look pushed in far enough to me.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Most of the threads I've read about this issue have addressed RT owners suffering the loss close to home. Regardless, is there a mileage milestone one must be concerned about or is this a matter of the problem arising only on certain bikes?
    the motors, and sight glasses, are all basically the same. none is more or less prone than another.
    signs of seepage, or inability to see thru the window clearly, are the 2 signs that say "replace me".
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by marbil View Post
    While the bike is apart I thought I would take the opportunity to put a new sight glass in and make it stay
    I picked the beefy area‘«÷s drilled about 3/8 deep and tapped with a 4-40 local hardware store did not have anything metric smaller than 4mm so I went SAE .small stainless socket head a flat washer and a little locktite
    I am pretty sure I saw someone else on this site do the same thing it was quick and simple.
    Still need to make up my mind what to do with my tranny ( who to send it to for rebuild )
    do you ever clean your header pipes? LOL
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Several have simply drilled holes in the lip and run a strip of safety wire across it.

It may be just the photo, but yours does not look pushed in far enough to me.

Jim
    It's just testing his screws.

I like the safetry wire idea too.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    That's a proud patina, earned by many miles of rainy wet road riding...

(Besides, you can't reach that part without taking off the belly pan)

YES,that was me with a 98 rt that I modified with the same set-up.Nice copy,looks very nice and professionally done.So I am not the only one with big balls. LOL
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose the sight glass while on a trip.
    I carry a spare along with 3 fuel line quick-disconnect O-rings and an oil filler cap...all in a tiny Nalgene jar the diameter of the sight glass...takes up no room.

marbil
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I have not found anything that will clean the headers yet tried chrome polish havent tried polishing compound yet, only had the bike one season so far.
    Thought about jet coating
    any comments would be appreciated
    the new sight glass is in as far in as the old one it was flush with the block also I will double check that one
    thanks

bob1100rtc
    I would suggest Tom Cutter for your trans rebuild.

I have not found anything that will clean the headers yet tried chrome polish havent tried polishing compound yet, only had the bike one season so far.
    Thought about jet coating
    any comments would be appreciated
    the new sight glass is in as far in as the old one it was flush with the block also I will double check that one
    thanks
    steel wool gets the same looking mud-crud off my ceramic coated headers. Hi Performance Coatings did mine.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots