Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: r80 ignition problems

Welcome to the forum! As for the hot ignition module, you should look at renewing the heat sink paste on the interface of the module with the base it mounts to. This paste helps with heat transfer and pulls it out for better cooling. A hot ignition module can lead to the ignition cutting out.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    It sounds like something heating up.
    There are only a couple of things that do that.
    Ignition control unit, (the little black box under the seat ) is the first one I would look at because it is quick to replace.
    The best way is if you can find another airhead to swap parts with.
    I think someone on this forum could help, it would olny take a couple of hours to swap parts and test ride.
    The ICU (Ignition Control Unit) is not under the seat... It is under the tank along with all the other electronics attached to the backbone of the frame. There's a tool kit and a battery under the seat.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! As for the hot ignition module, you should look at renewing the heat sink paste on the interface of the module with the base it mounts to. This paste helps with heat transfer and pulls it out for better cooling. A hot ignition module can lead to the ignition cutting out.
    Thanks for the reply. I have a new type of ignition module that is tight with the radiator. I wonder what temperatures the radiator should reach. My cooler was burning in a finger after a few minutes.

How does the radiator at the ignition module reach the temperature? What is its normal operating temperature? Thanks.

Usually you can separate the ignition module from the cooling plate.

I have a new type of ignition module that is tight with the radiator.
    Picture or pointer to a picture of your type of ignition module? Is it OEM or some aftermarket version?

It should not "burn" your finger after a few minutes. The current and therefore the heat in the ignition module is limited by the resistance of the primary coil. Check its Ohms!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Usually you can separate the ignition module from the cooling plate.

Picture or pointer to a picture of your type of ignition module? Is it OEM or some aftermarket version?

It should not "burn" your finger after a few minutes. The current and therefore the heat in the ignition module is limited by the resistance of the primary coil. Check its Ohms!

/Guenther
    Hi, I have this.https://www.bmwbayer.de/de/Zuendsteu...nbauteile-MONO

That's a standard ignition module and since you said it is new the heat paste should be OK.

The ignition module and its heat sink should not get that hot in a few minutes. After a longer ride, yes!

Measure the primary coil's resistance - across the two spade connectors on the coil. Should be around 13 Ohm.

Why did you install a new ignition module?

Does it cut out when you ride?

It seems you are in Europe. You may also find help at the www.2-ventiler.de forum (in German language, though).

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

That's a standard ignition module and since you said it is new the heat paste should be OK.

The ignition module and its heat sink should not get that hot in a few minutes. After a longer ride, yes!

Measure the primary coil's resistance - across the two spade connectors on the coil. Should be around 13 Ohm.

Why did you install a new ignition module?

Does it cut out when you ride?

It seems you are in Europe. You may also find help at the www.2-ventiler.de forum (in German language, though).

/Guenther

Hi, the inductor is new too, but I measured only 0.6 ohm between contact # 1 and contact # 15. But the inductor coils normally, the motorcycle runs. the motorbike is a special wiring, it is a custom construction scrambler, I finished it last week.

Ooops, I got that wrong! It should be 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil and 13 Ohm for the secondary coil.

So your measurement of 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil is correct.

What kind of spark plug wires are you using?

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

Ooops, I got that wrong! It should be 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil and 13 Ohm for the secondary coil.

So your measurement of 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil is correct.

What kind of spark plug wires are you using?

/Guenther
    Silicone BERU with copper core

Silicone BERU with copper core
    With 5k Ohm resistance?

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

With 5k Ohm resistance?

/Guenther

I really do not know, it is a standard cable. How do I measure this resistance? Thank you.

I'll make it easier. Is he able to tell how warm the ignition module should be after about 1 minute of idling? Is it not possible to keep your thumb on aluminum, or is it just lukewarm or something in between? Simply, what is its operating temperature?

I never burnt my fingers on the ignition heat sink of my R100GS.

I have never heard or read about the operating temperature of the ignition module's heat sink. There is certainly a limit of 100+ degrees Celsius for the few components inside the ignition unit. So the heat sink temperature should be well below that.

Take a measurement of yours with a remote temperature gauge and we'll have a number to talk about.

Could be that the voltage regulator inside the ignition module has to dissipate to much energy. What is the max charging voltage you see at the battery with the motor running at >2500 RPM?

Take the ignition wires completely off and measure the Ohms between the ends: 5kOhms!

Try another ignition module!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

I never burnt my fingers on the ignition heat sink of my R100GS.

I have never heard or read about the operating temperature of the ignition module's heat sink. There is certainly a limit of 100+ degrees Celsius for the few components inside the ignition unit. So the heat sink temperature should be well below that.

Take a measurement of yours with a remote temperature gauge and we'll have a number to talk about.

Could be that the voltage regulator inside the ignition module has to dissipate to much energy. What is the max charging voltage you see at the battery with the motor running at >2500 RPM?

Take the ignition wires completely off and measure the Ohms between the ends: 5kOhms!

Try another ignition module!

/Guenther
    Hi, I measured 5 Kohms on one and 4.7 Kohms on the other cable. Could this be a problem? Thank you.