• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r80 ignition problems

That's a standard ignition module and since you said it is new the heat paste should be OK.

The ignition module and its heat sink should not get that hot in a few minutes. After a longer ride, yes!

Measure the primary coil's resistance - across the two spade connectors on the coil. Should be around 0.6 Ohm.

Why did you install a new ignition module? :scratch

Does it cut out when you ride?

It seems you are in Europe. You may also find help at the www.2-ventiler.de forum (in German language, though).

/Guenther

Last edited:
That's a standard ignition module and since you said it is new the heat paste should be OK.

The ignition module and its heat sink should not get that hot in a few minutes. After a longer ride, yes!

Measure the primary coil's resistance - across the two spade connectors on the coil. Should be around 13 Ohm.

Why did you install a new ignition module? :scratch

Does it cut out when you ride?

It seems you are in Europe. You may also find help at the www.2-ventiler.de forum (in German language, though).

/Guenther

Hi, the inductor is new too, but I measured only 0.6 ohm between contact # 1 and contact # 15. But the inductor coils normally, the motorcycle runs. the motorbike is a special wiring, it is a custom construction scrambler, I finished it last week.

Ooops, I got that wrong! It should be 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil and 13 kOhm for the secondary coil.

So your measurement of 0.6 Ohm for the primary coil is correct.

What kind of spark plug wires are you using?

/Guenther

Last edited:
I'll make it easier. Is he able to tell how warm the ignition module should be after about 1 minute of idling? Is it not possible to keep your thumb on aluminum, or is it just lukewarm or something in between? Simply, what is its operating temperature?

I never burnt my fingers on the ignition heat sink of my R100GS.

I have never heard or read about the operating temperature of the ignition module's heat sink. There is certainly a limit of 100+ degrees Celsius for the few components inside the ignition unit. So the heat sink temperature should be well below that.

Take a measurement of yours with a remote temperature gauge and we'll have a number to talk about.

Could be that the voltage regulator inside the ignition module has to dissipate to much energy. What is the max charging voltage you see at the battery with the motor running at >2500 RPM?

Take the ignition wires completely off and measure the Ohms between the ends: 5kOhms!

Try another ignition module!

/Guenther

I never burnt my fingers on the ignition heat sink of my R100GS.

I have never heard or read about the operating temperature of the ignition module's heat sink. There is certainly a limit of 100+ degrees Celsius for the few components inside the ignition unit. So the heat sink temperature should be well below that.

Take a measurement of yours with a remote temperature gauge and we'll have a number to talk about.

Could be that the voltage regulator inside the ignition module has to dissipate to much energy. What is the max charging voltage you see at the battery with the motor running at >2500 RPM?

Take the ignition wires completely off and measure the Ohms between the ends: 5kOhms!

Try another ignition module!

/Guenther

Hi, I measured 5 Kohms on one and 4.7 Kohms on the other cable. Could this be a problem? Thank you.

Time to test with another ignition module. If the other one shows the same symtom then try it with another coil.

Btw. you never presented a reliable temperature reading of the heat sink when you think it is "hot".

/Guenther

Time to test with another ignition module. If the other one shows the same symtom then try it with another coil.

Btw. you never presented a reliable temperature reading of the heat sink when you think it is "hot".

/Guenther
Maybe I know about the problem. On the secondary winding of the ignition coil I did not shoot any ohm. But how can the engine run?IMG_20190917_140352.jpg

There is no connection between the spade connectors (primary coil) and the round spark plug cable connectors (secondary coil) for your type of coil.

From the picture it looks like a new Bosch coil which should be compatible with your ignition module. To be sure contact BMWBayer to verify that.

/Guenther

There is no connection between the spade connectors (primary coil) and the round spark plug cable connectors (secondary coil) for your type of coil.

From the picture it looks like a new Bosch coil which should be compatible with your ignition module. To be sure contact BMWBayer to verify that.

/Guenther
Thank you for your patience. I checked the compatibility and everything is fine. Is there any way to measure this coil? The motorcycle works, but has shut down several times. I think it's the warming ignition module.

Only its resistance: ~0.6 Ohm primary coil, ~13 kOhm secondary coil.

Some older coils have been reported to produce a short when heating up. Is the coil getting hot as well?

The ignition system on the airheads is very simple. From what you told me yours SHOULD work.

Maybe and just maybe, the new ignition system doesn't have heat paste between the ignition module and the heat sink. Might be worth to unscrew the heat sink and take a look.

Or...find someone who can give you a working ignition module just for comparison!!!!!

/Guenther

Last edited:
Back