• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 steering head bearings?

SHOOTER55520

Just ordered 5.3 oz DowCorning High Vacuum Grease from Kurt J. Lesker Company, $22.28 Canadian before shipping and taxes.:thumb Still wondering :scratch who supplies the steering head bearings to BMW, likely the lowest bidder LOL. Will take the dimentions in to Coastal Bearing & see what they can come up with. Any money saved will help get me and my bike to Redmond. :violin

head bearings

Ran out to the shed, 18F and snowing, fluorecent lights don't work.

Steering head bearings for my 1993 K75, 2 required, SKF 320/28X/Q ( micro fisch = 320 28 X ).

I replaced Fluidbloc (w/grease) from dealer. Grease is not available seperatly from BMW (here), tried others. Hope the vacuum grease works.

Thanks Ken, I'll take those numbers in for the bearings. Turns out Lesker wouldn't ship the grease without a bunch of forms and permits :cry so I cancelled the order and will try to source locally. Must be a controlled substance :nono lol.

I don't have a perfect answer because last time I needed it I got the BMW stuff. But, industrial damping greases are used in a number of applications and are available in various degrees of stickiness.

See for example: http://www.nyelubricants.com/damping/

I will do a bit more research. It would be nice if somebody had actual specs for what BMW used but I'm sure they don't exist in a findable location.

I would personally take my best shot at how thick it needed to be and get an actual damping grease before I would substitute a lubricant in its place. The stuff suitable for rack and pinion steering systems and/or car steering column damping would seem to me to be among my first choices.

Last edited:
And remember Porsche used this in one of their cars in the 80s, one of the water-cooled cars, 924-28-44 one of those. So possibly Porsche still sells it?? Will research better.
Gilly

Dead end again, as usual. The Fluidbloc they used must be only loosely related to the K75 steering damper. They evidently were using the same trade name for the control arm bushings.
I don't even have a K75 any more but feel bad for those that do.
Gilly

Back