Thread: K75 steering head bearings?

Thumbs up

Just ordered 5.3 oz DowCorning High Vacuum Grease from Kurt J. Lesker Company, $22.28 Canadian before shipping and taxes. Still wondering who supplies the steering head bearings to BMW, likely the lowest bidder LOL. Will take the dimentions in to Coastal Bearing & see what they can come up with. Any money saved will help get me and my bike to Redmond.
    Mike Lutes 89k75s, 05r1200gs

head bearings

Ran out to the shed, 18F and snowing, fluorecent lights don't work.

Steering head bearings for my 1993 K75, 2 required, SKF 320/28X/Q ( micro fisch = 320 28 X ).

I replaced Fluidbloc (w/grease) from dealer. Grease is not available seperatly from BMW (here), tried others. Hope the vacuum grease works.
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Thumbs up

Thanks Ken, I'll take those numbers in for the bearings. Turns out Lesker wouldn't ship the grease without a bunch of forms and permits so I cancelled the order and will try to source locally. Must be a controlled substance lol.
    Mike Lutes 89k75s, 05r1200gs

I don't have a perfect answer because last time I needed it I got the BMW stuff. But, industrial damping greases are used in a number of applications and are available in various degrees of stickiness.

See for example: http://www.nyelubricants.com/damping/

I will do a bit more research. It would be nice if somebody had actual specs for what BMW used but I'm sure they don't exist in a findable location.

I would personally take my best shot at how thick it needed to be and get an actual damping grease before I would substitute a lubricant in its place. The stuff suitable for rack and pinion steering systems and/or car steering column damping would seem to me to be among my first choices.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 02-05-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

And remember Porsche used this in one of their cars in the 80s, one of the water-cooled cars, 924-28-44 one of those. So possibly Porsche still sells it?? Will research better.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Dead end again, as usual. The Fluidbloc they used must be only loosely related to the K75 steering damper. They evidently were using the same trade name for the control arm bushings.
    I don't even have a K75 any more but feel bad for those that do.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606