• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

oil smoke???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcohen99

I just heard from the customer service folks at BMW that the oil smoke coming out after sitting on the side stand is normal?

My company (AutoThority, Inc.) builds engines and extreme engines for a living and I can tell you that it is NOT normal. It WILL cause premature plug fouling and cylinder deposits at a minimum and major embarassment and clogged lungs as I have already experienced.

I know, put it on the center stand.

Has anybody experienced ANY problems in this area?

Thanks

I have always experienced that on my three beemers,R75/5,R100RT and K1200GT.

In fact with my new GT it was comical.I was just picking it up at the dealer's. 31 km.They had swapped the plates,put the bags on,charged the batery etc,then parked it in front of the dealership for me to ride away.Parked it on guess what?
Right,the side stand.

So at 5 PM friday as I was leaving-I could hear the fanfare and the crowd was gathered-started up and rode off in a cloud of smoke!!I almost turned around and brought it back until I remembered-they all do that.

No smoke or oil consumption since.Always use the centre stand!!

They all do that and, as far as I know, it's never caused anyone any problems. Kbike engines are notoriously long lived. I think Sue Galpin's has got a couple hundred K on it without being apart.

Try this

My 03 K12LTC does the same thing. What I have found is if you will, when you stop and cut the engine off allow the motorcycle to remain upright for about 10 seconds before putting it on the side stand. Better yet is to lean the bike to the right side for the 10 seconds to help allow the oil to somewhat drain back toward the bottom of the engine. I do this all the time when I'm out on the bike and it hardly ever smokes even after sitting 8-10 hours at work on the side stand. I only use my center stand at night when I park my bike in the garage or in very windy conditions (these bikes will tip over with the short kickstands on them). This technique should eliminate the embarrassing smoking problem from side stand parking. I couldn't stand the ridicule from all my Harley buddies about the Kraut bike so I found this would most of the time work great. At least I can still out run the "Kraut" of them! :clap

jcohen said:
I just heard from the customer service folks at BMW that the oil smoke coming out after sitting on the side stand is normal?

My company (AutoThority, Inc.) builds engines and extreme engines for a living and I can tell you that it is NOT normal. It WILL cause premature plug fouling and cylinder deposits at a minimum and major embarassment and clogged lungs as I have already experienced.

I know, put it on the center stand.

Has anybody experienced ANY problems in this area?

Thanks

AFAIK - no one has ever had ANY engine problem on a K bike due to the smoking on startup. No one. Ever. Despite what your company may do.

The most miles I know on a K bike engine are on Paul Glaves - he has something over 350,000 miles on the engine and it has NEVER been apart. He has run the last two Iron-Butts with this bike, which he calls "Old Smokey" (wonder why..)

As someone else pointed out - it's easy to avoid the smoke on startup at least 95% of the time. Simply keep the bike upright or leaned slightly to the right side before putting it on the centerstand.

My K75S only goes on the centerstand in my garage - other than that - it is sidestand ONLY, including rides for multiple days, rallies, going to/from work. Using the lean to the right process, it only smokes perhaps 1 out of 50 startups.

HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back