Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tall guy on a R11S

  1. #1
    Quote Originally Posted by coon View Post
    After 25K miles switched to Repsol oil and the engine came alive.
    Hope this helps.
    coon,

    Do you mind telling me what viscosity you're using with the Repsol? I'm currently running Castrol GTX 20W-50 at 34k miles and looking to make a switch. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    the ONLY appropriate viscosity for any/all oilheads is 20W50. only time i would even consider doing different (10W40?) would be if i was looking at consistent winter riding at lower temps. (if you go with Mobil 1, you'll only find it in 15W50, but i think running a m/c specific oil is better than running a good automotive oil- especially in an air or air/oil cooled bike).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  3. #3
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,935
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    if you go with Mobil 1, you'll only find it in 15W50, but i think running a m/c specific oil is better than running a good automotive oil- especially in an air or air/oil cooled bike).
    it does come in 20/50 SG/SH...our AutoZone parts carries it
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ycle_Oils.aspx


    most Big Boxes only carry the original car blend M-1 15/50...hope this doesn't start ANOTHER oil debate


    BTW, we have an 1100S also...I'm 6-1...Helen 5-7...she has a Rick Mayer seat for her use...I use the Corbin smuggler set up that was on it. If I was still sub 30, I would ride it further...a little agressive in lean compared to our K12S's for me...have done some 500 milers on the 1100...but it is more fun to me as a Sunday screamer...the HP out of that 1100 is FUN!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    thanx for the info Steve- not that i ever use Mobil1; i'm a Castrol ACT-Evo kinda guy.

    have never done more than 1000 in 24 on my 11S, but 500 mile days are the norm. Rick Mayer makes it possible.

    The bike is a perfect fit for me with stock pegs and low bars, but i'm only 5'10" (all torso, 30" inseam)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  5. #5
    Likes "Whizzy" Brakes k75s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Far East Kansas
    Posts
    505

    R1100s

    I did not originally buy my 04 R1100S for touring, but once I rode it, I just had to ride it more than on Sunday afternoons. Added Wunderlich peg lowering kit (bad knees), left the bars alone - I do not have a problem with them, added Laminar lip (really helps with the buffeting).

    Hope to buy a Rick Mayer seat like this next:
    http://www.thetandemlink.com/boxer/Mayer2.jpg

    Alaskan Leather sheepskin seat cover helps for now.


    I own 2 BMW bikes that I wish BMW would have just worked on continuing to improve rather than go a different direction. The R1200S is a fun bike, but I consider it a stretch to think you can tour with it. The R1100S with the Hex head 1200 engine would have been a great improvement. I think BMW could have figured out how to fit about a gallon more of fuel under the Tupperware.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 2015 KTM 690 Enduro (Sold: 1992 K75S, and miss my 2004 R1100S)

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    The R1100S with the Hex head 1200 engine would have been a great improvement. I think BMW could have figured out how to fit about a gallon more of fuel under the Tupperware.
    you related to Chris the Nazi?


    good thoughts, i might actually consider buying one that fit those particulars.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  7. #7
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,935
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    thanx for the info Steve- not that i ever use Mobil1; i'm a Castrol ACT-Evo kinda guy.
    I don't use it either...always have some in the cabinet for friends that do though...you know... SOME guys and their oils


    Back to the 11S...ours doesn't have bag mounts and for me, I have the solo saddle of the Corbin/ trunk set up...Helen has the carbon panel on the pillion position over her Mayer saddle. It's still the Sunday scare the bejeevis outa the locals bike of choice ( except when we play on the K12S's)...people always ask WTF is THAT? close to 100HP outa that small bike is FUN anyway you twist it. And yes, the tank could be just a smidge larger...

    Any bike could be a sports tourer...it's in the seat of the pilot. I like the R12S for it's naked appeal...just don't have one...yet!
    Last edited by henzilla; 07-22-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I don't use it either...always have some in the cabinet for friends that do though...you know... SOME guys and their oils
    well, that's not as bad as keeping a 6 of Bud handy for your friends that prefer that. At least Mobil 1 is thoroughly acceptable as oil, whereas Bud is clearly not acceptable as the fluid it claims to be.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  9. #9
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,935
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    well, that's not as bad as keeping a 6 of Bud handy for your friends that prefer that. At least Mobil 1 is thoroughly acceptable as oil, whereas Bud is clearly not acceptable as the fluid it claims to be.
    ROGER that...not allowed in the shop fridge...only non- national advertised brands allowed...
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  10. #10
    Likes "Whizzy" Brakes k75s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Far East Kansas
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    you related to Chris the Nazi?


    good thoughts, i might actually consider buying one that fit those particulars.

    Considering where all my ancestors came from, I could be related to a lot of Nazis!
    2014 R1200 GSA, 2015 KTM 690 Enduro (Sold: 1992 K75S, and miss my 2004 R1100S)

  11. #11
    peacetoall
    Guest

    vibration?

    I have had my 2004 R1100S for about 6 months. Love all aspects of it except the vibration at higher rpms. The bike is amazing and just purrs along till it gets close to 4K. At that point, an uncomfortable vibration creeps in that seems to worsen as the RPM increase.

    Motor oil/filter and final driver fluid changed. Valves adjusted. Vibration has diminished after this but still present. It makes the bike uncomfortable over 68-70mph in top gear. The bike is all stock. It is in pristine condition and only has 5K miles. I don't want to sell it but the thought has crossed my mind.

    Is this vibration normal for the other R11S riders?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by peacetoall View Post
    I have had my 2004 R1100S for about 6 months. Love all aspects of it except the vibration at higher rpms. The bike is amazing and just purrs along till it gets close to 4K. At that point, an uncomfortable vibration creeps in that seems to worsen as the RPM increase.

    Motor oil/filter and final driver fluid changed. Valves adjusted. Vibration has diminished after this but still present. It makes the bike uncomfortable over 68-70mph in top gear. The bike is all stock. It is in pristine condition and only has 5K miles. I don't want to sell it but the thought has crossed my mind.

    Is this vibration normal for the other R11S riders?
    seeing as your questions/concerns have nothing at all to do with the original thread, you would be much better served by just starting your own thread.

    that said- no, the vibration you describe is very much not normal. most likely the bike is in need of a good TBS. (of course, if you lived lots closer to me, i would tell you that the bike is terminally ill, and i would- reluctantly- take it off your hands for a few thou.)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  13. #13
    I am 61 and have a 1996 R1100RSL and a 2003 R1100S BCR. The main difference between the riding positions is on the RSL you can adjust it. The saddle has 3 heights and the bars can be moved forwards and backwards as well as rotated. Also the windshield is adjustable. I enjoyed the RSL before putting on the bar-backs for my wife as I find the position now too upright. On the S I have installed the peg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery which suits me fine. I also tried the taller Cee Bailey windshield for the S but cant tuck down behind it as it is also longer. As for seat position I have left it alone and use a sheep skin for longer trips. I have travelled coast to coast on the bikes and do prefer the RSL for long trips. Just changing the saddle height through the day makes a big difference and the ability to change the windshield height is very welcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •