Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The RA rally Location 2010

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    [QUOTE=tourunigo;557260]
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post

aside from some spelling errors, I get yer drift. I will be there with a Canadian Tire Junior Adventurer collapsable rod and reel.... dig my worms riverside and grin. Purists be damned! I have my Scotch and Cigar........ grinnin' - Bob
    What spelling errors? A loss of context and meaning but other than that.

Dig the worms or use night crawlers purchased at hardware store, put a trotline in place and go ride. Come back and cook a fish dinner, light up a cigar and chill with a good Vermont micro-brew.

ok, not a misspelling..... I never heard the term trotline before so for those who want to know (is this legal in Vermont?) http://www.marshbunny.com/stjohns/tr.../trotline.html - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Venemous Heresy !

[QUOTE=PAULBACH;557313]
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post

Dig the worms or use night crawlers purchased at hardware store, put a trotline in place and go ride. Come back and cook a fish dinner, light up a cigar and chill with a good Vermont micro-brew.
    Mine eyes are smarting to read such blasphemy! Trotlines? Garden hackle? Night crawlers? Oh, PERISH THE DAY that such bilious vomit should be mentioned in the same airspace as trout fishing. Oh, you BOTTOM FEEDERS. VILLANY, I say!

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

How To Make a Trot Line

A trot line is a long cord with a lot of fish hooks dangling from it. In this area you can run 25 hooks on a non-commercial license. I have known commercial fishermen who ran hundreds of hooks at a time, but 25 is quite enough for me.

With a trot line you can completely cover the width of a channel with your hooks. Tie your line to one side of the channel, stretch your line across and tie off to the other side - any fish passing thru will come near one of your hooks.

You can run your line out into a lake, too. Just tie a brick to the end of your line to weigh it down or tie a floating marker to it. Don't forget what tree you tied your line to. (You could mark it with a bit of cloth or something, but the real fishermen will laugh at you if you do.)

The best thing about a trot line is that you don't have to sit with it. You can put your line out in the morning, go to work or back home, then check your line in the evening. I used to leave my line tied up to my favorite spot. In the mornings I would catch bait, check the line for anything I might have caught overnight, and rebait my hooks as I went along, leaving the rebaited line in the water. After work I would check my lines for the evening catch.

You mainly catch catfish, turtles and crappie on a trot line. Mudfish and Gar, of course, but they are no good. You catch an occasional alligator, too, but you can't keep him and you want to be very careful you don't get an injury trying to pull in a line with an irritated alligator attached. We are talking about a long string of fish hooks here - there is a potential for injury. Trust me.

Judy and I used to catch our bait, bait our hooks and drop our line before heading out to explore the river for the day. We would pick up the line on our way back in at the end of the day, clean our catch on the bridge and head on home. Might be a lazy way to fish, but it suited us.
    The same technique could be used in Pownal since the site borders the Hoosick River. It might be best to set your trotline downstream of those folks hurling around all manner of fur and feather on small hooks that might catch an unsuspecting bat or two. Credit should be given to these wading squires of fly fishing for their patience and fancy gear. But poor old country boys know how to feed the youngins.

Heavens I have not even mentioned fishing with cherry bombs.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 03-06-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Hex on you!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post

Heavens I have not even mentioned fishing with cherry bombs.
    A pox on your worms! Just when you think it can't no worse, then it does! Sheesh!

I'm off to Max's season opening barbecue in Brunswick tomorrow. So this gets posted tonight. Curtis Barbecue is the destination but be sure to visit the website since it has so many wonderful pictures. Lyman Foss knows Vermont better than the Census Bureau and he highly recommends this destination as one of the best to "pig" out on barbecue in the whole state of Vermont.

Bring your family and friends and enjoy our park like atmosphere, or you can watch and chat with Curtis as he prepares his famous BBQ. There's also a playground around back for supervised children, and dogs on a leash are always welcome.

MENU

RIBS

Full Slab $25.95
    Half Slab $13.95
    Medium $10.95
    Small $6.95
    Pork Stuffed Potato $7.95

CHICKEN

Half Chicken $7.95
    Breast and Wing $4.00
    Leg and Thigh $4.00
    Combo* $10.95
    (1/4 chicken and small rib)
    Chicken Stuffed Potato$7.95

SIDES

Baked Potato with Butter $2.95
    (Each additional topping $ .50)
    Sour Cream; Chives; Vermont Cheddar Cheese;
    Bacon Bits; Mushrooms; BBQ Sauce
    Loaded Potato (includes all) $5.95

Small: $1.95 Large: $2.95
    Potato Salad
    Coleslaw
    Macaroni Salad
    3- Bean Salad
    Veggie of the Day

Baked Beans sm. $2.75 lg. $3.50
    Sweet Yams sm. $2.75 lg. $3.50
    Fresh Corn on the Cob $2.00
    Corn Muffin $1.95
    Potato Chips $1.00

Distance from Pownal: 62 Miles
    Estimated Time: 1 Hour & 30 Minutes

For more information about today's destination, click here!

908 Route 103 S
    (802) 875-6999
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 03-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Paul. I saved this link for a reference this summer. Should make for a good club ride.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Thanks Paul. I saved this link for a reference this summer. Should make for a good club ride.
    Let me know when your club makes the trip. Always nice to see the Ocean State BMW Riders.

I would like to get loaded on one of those potatoes.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 03-06-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Dragon, what dragon?
    Browse through these pages and you will soon discover an area rich in history. The Mohawk Trail is the first scenic road in New England. It officially opened on October 22, 1914. With 63 miles of unsurpassed splendor and 50,000 acres of state parks and forests, it's an excellent vacation choice for fun and adventure for all ages during any season. Spend your vacation in the Mohawk Trail region ... search for places to stay, places to eat and great shopping alternatives!
    Distance from Pownal: 17 Miles
    Estimated Time: 24 Minutes to Grafton - all day after that.

Thumbs up Mika, free mustard!

The Cold Hollow Cider Mill is one of the top producers of Fresh Apple Cider in all of New England. We are also one of the very few that press year-round. The Mill has become one of the top tourist attractions in Vermont because our operation is open to public viewing. Come and see cider that's still made the old fashioned way, with a rack and cloth press built in the 1920's. We are open year-round, 7 days a week from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (8:00 am to 7:00 pm during the summer months). We are closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

After you have seen cider made, it's time to wander through the large Retail store and check out many of the specialty foods we have to offer. Bring your appetite, since you can sample plenty of jellies, mustards, applesauce, fudge, and other goodies.

In the Summer, watch real bees make honey in our honey corner (don't worry, they're behind glass). Honeybees play a big part in the apple world, as they are responsible for pollenating the orchards each spring while they are in bloom to ensure a "well set" crop.

You may be lured by an overwhelming aroma to The Donut Counter, where you can sink your teeth into our legendary cider donuts. These donuts were featured in Gourmet Magazine, as one of the top four donuts in the country. They go great with a big cup of fresh Vermont-made Coffee. We sell many fresh mouth-watering baked goods from our natural ingredient bakery right in the store, including apple pies, pumpkin rolls, maple cream cheese pockets, apple-cheddar squares, and many others.
    Distance from Pownal: 144 Miles
    Estimated Time: 3 Hours

Cold Hollow Cider Mill
    3600 Waterbury-Stowe Road
    Waterbury Center, VT 05677
    Call 800-3-APPLES

Natural Bridge - Adams, Massachusetts

Discover a geologic wonder at this 48 acre park. Examine the only naturally formed white marble arch and man-made white marble dam in North America, and tour an abandoned marble quarry. The "natural bridge" for which the park is named, according to geologists, is 550 million year old bedrock marble, carved into an arch by the force of glacial melt water over 13,000 years ago; one of the best places in New England to demonstrate the effects of glaciation. The bridge spans rushing Hudson Brook as it twists and tumbles through a steep 60-foot deep gorge.

Noted Romantic writer, Nathaniel Hawthorne, visited here in 1838 and recorded his experience about Hudson's Cave (or Falls) in An American Notebook "The cave makes a fresh impression on me every time I visit it ... so deep, so irregular, so gloomy, so stern." The site was an active commercial quarry from 1810 to 1947, producing coarse-grained white marble used in local buildings and cemeteries. From 1950 to 1983 it was a privately-owned and popular roadside tourist attraction off the Mohawk Trail. Natural Bridge became a state park in 1985, to preserve its unique geologic features.

In the summer months, knowledgeable park interpreters are on hand to explain the natural forces that created the bridge and its more recent human-related history. There is a 0.25 mile walkway above and through the chasm, and a 0.5 mile wooded walking trail.
    Distance from Pownal: 10 Miles
    Estimated Time: 20 Minutes

McCauley Road, off Rte. 8
    P.O. Box 1757, North Adams 01247
    (413) 663-6392
    (413) 663-8469 (off-season)

bathroom facilities

Hey, just a quick question. Does the rally facility have indoor plumbing for use by those who camp?

Indoor Plumbing

Hello Bigsur52

Yes there are indoor facilities - toilets and showers.

But have also ordered a big shower truck and there will also be porta potties that get pumped out regularly.

thanks for inquiry.

Paul

Mt Greylock repaved!

After a four year effort, the State of MA has finished the repaving of the access road to the summit of Mt. Greylock in Adams, MA, a mere 20 minute ride south of the Rally site. At nearly 3500 feet, the views are spectacular and reach easily to CT, NY, MA and VT. Drive up the north side from Notch Road in Adams and descend southward to Lanesborough. Take the short hike to the observation tower, and, if the weather god smiles, be rewarded with scenery that'll bring a tear to your eyes. In all events, the ride is thrilling and what could be better than fresh tar?