• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The RA rally Location 2010

tourunigo

Hey Bob,
Well I am a cigar smoker and a single malt drinker so I guess I will have to buy you a drink and a cigar. I will be there for sure! This is great news that it will be near home. It's only a 40 mile ride for me.

:dance will be great to see you again. 40 miles? Shouldn't you at least bring the engine temperature up to operating temps? - Bob

:dance will be great to see you again. 40 miles? Shouldn't you at least bring the engine temperature up to operating temps? - Bob
HAHA!! You're probably right.
Since you are a single malt drinker Bob we will have to make a day trip down into the Hudson Valley to go to Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery. They make many small batch spirits there. They give tours as well. Very good stuff.

It will be nice to see you guys as well.

Camping?

Is there an organized set up for camping in Pownal for the RA rally?

Love that it is only 6 miles over the Mass. boarder!

It's on my list...

See you all this summer, and bring the bug spray.

There will set ups for

• Ted Sherpa
  • Personal Camping
  • RV camping.

Williams College is just over the line - about 10 miles away.

The Little Hoosick River flows by one edge of the campsites.

The site was once a Thoroughbred racing track and could host 30,000 patrons on a good day.

Last edited:
Is there an organized set up for camping in Pownal for the RA rally?

Yes, Sherpa Services will be at the RA Rally. This service will provide a tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow, chair along with other amenities such as clean towels, coffee in the morning, cell phone charging, etc.

I also set it all up and tear it down, so all the camper has to do is locate their tent and call it home during the rally.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this service.

Yes, Sherpa Services will be at the RA Rally. This service will provide a tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow, chair along with other amenities such as clean towels, coffee in the morning, cell phone charging, etc.

I also set it all up and tear it down, so all the camper has to do is locate their tent and call it home during the rally.

refresh my memory regarding cost. - Bob

Attendance 3 - 4 thousand expected

I hope they plan accordingly, as I expect with the MOA rally being so distant for the majority of it's members this rally could be very big and far exceed the 3-4k estimate. I know the Biltmore rally could have benefited from more facilities and more cleaning/emptying of said facilities.

Registration open in March. The site once hosted 30,000 every day of the week during the racing meet. A lot of folks are already on board for the food and one big organization is handling both dinners and the fermented beverages.

The site is so large it could literally hold an army of tents.

I hope a few folks have the energy to do both!

Pownal is too close...unless I ride to Redmond, stop by Paonia CO for the TOTR rally, THEN come to Pownal. It would mean a lot of slabbing to make all three in the time alloted, but think of all the new friends I'd meet! :thumb

I have used Ted service in the past and it is great service if you do not want to haul all your gear along.

Anglers Take Note

ef577d3b.jpg

The Hoosick River borders the RA Rally site and has a nice population of trout. Why not pack a little fly rod and try your luck? There's usually an evening 'rise' and a hatch of Pale Evening Duns. A small 'Blue/Green', 'White Miller', hopper imitation, black ant or parachute caddis on 6X tippet would be good bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hoosick River borders the RA Rally site and has a nice population of trout. Why not pack a little fly rod and try your luck? There's usually an evening 'rise' and a hatch of Pale Evening Duns. A small 'Blue/Green', 'White Miller', hopper imitation, black ant or parachute caddis on 6X tippet would be good bets.
Hmmm, now that will really make me consider the RA Rally!

And consider the Gray Ghost Inn

Full Vermont breakfast cooked to order and served with a smile is always included. We pride ourselves on using only locally sourced eggs, Vermont maple syrup, organic sausages and bacon which is dry cured and smoked in Vermont. By buying local products we are trying to do our part to ensure great tasting breakfast and a healthy Vermont economy.

The innkeeper, Magnus Thorsson, is from Iceland and specializes in guiding fly fishermen and motorcycle groups.

For more information about the Gray Ghost Inn, click here.

Last edited:
Don't forget to fish the Battenkill, many many good reports of fly fishing on that stream too!

Back