• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The 12th way to die, a forum paradox

Reminds me of some boating discussion I have had, new boater becomes so fixated on GPS, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc he runs into another boater because he forgets to look where he is going. For me the end line is these are devices that provide input. You still need a brain with a good filter to decide what, were, and how much input you want. Some people become fixated on any shiny thing, they should not drive with shiny things.

Yep..sounds like a typical power boater on the Chesapeake Bay...

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango'
Kent Narrows,Md.

I only run with a GPS. Like others have said, I find it safer than trying to locate myself on a tank bag map. It doesn't take my eyes off the road as much due to it's placement, and it pretty much goes untouched while I'm in motion. There have been times on unknown roads where I zoom it in a little to give me an idea of the curves ahead, though I know better than to put all my faith in the GPS (I still go into blind corners rather cautiously). I only keep an eye on the GPS and don't use any voice prompting. Along those lines, I have tried music and found it horribly distracting so I just stick with earplugs, even on those longer 700+ mile days.

Back