• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Talimena Skyway

gstom

Wow! Just got back from a trip to the Talimena trail from Mena, Arkansas to Talahina, Oklahoma. Word cannot describe it.

Attachments

• tower 7.jpg
    tower 7.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 253
OOOOPS

I will try again to post a photo.

Attachments

• turnout 4 1 small.bmp
    5 KB · Views: 89
sorry about this

Sorry about the technical difficulties, I will
try to resolve them.

Attachments

• tower 3 small.bmp
    30 KB · Views: 79
Cancel this thread

Please Mr. Forum Moderator, cancel this thread. I am an embarassment to all web savvy people everywhere as I cannot seem to post a photo.

Well, couldn't see the photo but can verify the accuracy of your "wow" description of this ride. Rode it from end to end on a Wednesday in late September... before the colors, but ZERO traffic. I parked like this and waited for the clouds to part so I could have a sunlight shot. Would have been a great GS ride... but pardon the Duc...

stoktal2.jpg

From one of the pullouts...

stoktal1.jpg

Thanks for the photos

Appreciate the photos. I rode my K bike on the trip and wished I took the GS. My son rode his Ducati ST2. It was a great trip and should be on every rider's list of "Must Visit" places.

Tom - You'll need to convert those .bmp files to .jpg files if you want them to display in your post.

You can use irfanview (free at www.irfanview.com) to convert them. They'll also need to be smaller than 160k. If you look over in the "How Do I...." forum, there's a post about how to do that.

Trial Picture post

If this works it is a view from one of the turnouts near the western end of the skyway. Our Group included me on the K bike, son, Joe on his Ducati, and friend Aaron on a pristine GL1100 Goldwing from 1983 with under 13000 miles on it.

Attachments

• turnout 2 4 small.jpg
    turnout 2 4 small.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 160
Yes, a unique "gun metal" gray color for this ST4s. Available the first year the ST4s ('02) came out. Haven't see since which is OK with me. Looks kinda dull in low light, but also hides the dirt well for an anal rider like me. So what do I ride a GS for! :brow. But in bright light this gray finish shimmers with all kinds of light and dark colors.

Talimena...great ride!!

I did it on Sept 18th on my LT. That is a really fun place to ride. I wish I'd had the R100GS then because there are many back roads to run in that area. That was also the weekend of the Jailbreak.
:D

Roaring River SP

Here are the tres Amigos at Roaring River State Park near Cassville, MO after a long Saturday at Talimena Trail on Saturday and then a Sunday morning blast up Arkansas Highway 23 (Pig Trail) on Sunday morning. Definitely some happy campers. L-R
1983 GL1100 ,Aaron, GS Tom, 2001 Ducati ST , Dr. Desmo (Joe), GS Tom's K100LT

Attachments

• tres amigos.jpg
    tres amigos.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 113
The Talimena Scenic Drive is four hours from where I live, and it is one of my most favourite places to ride!
For the uninitiated, it runs 54 miles from Talihina OK to Mena AR. Just on the AR side is Queen Wilhelmina State Park, where the Jailbreak In The Clouds is held.
I have a friend who lives five miles off the drive, less than a mile from the intersection of US 259 and OK 63. Ken is a really cool motorcycle guy and he has a few old Beemers and Britbikes. Of all those only a pair of Beemers run. Ken hosts the decidedly unorganised rallies that we who frequent Boxerworks.com have thrown. We have them every May and October, starting this year. My bike wasn't able to make the trip last month but Ken was gracious enough to let me ride his 1977 or 78 R100S all weekend. Great bike for doing the TSD!
Here's a picture of me on the drive back in May, in some really cool 'English weather:'

Attachments

• vegfog.jpg
    vegfog.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 87
Re: Trial Picture post

GS Tom said:
If this works it is a view from one of the turnouts near the western end of the skyway.

FINALLY, a picture of a BMW and it turns out be be a BROWN K-Bike!

Re: Re: Trial Picture post

lkchris said:
FINALLY, a picture of a BMW and it turns out be be a BROWN K-Bike!

Is that good or bad?

Granted, it is not the prettiest machine BMW ever made, but , try as I might, I can't seem to wear it out to justify buying a newer one. At least it doesn't surge or have a self destructing final drive. (and its been paid for for a while) :)

here's a link to more photos of our trip.

http://desmohead.smugmug.com/gallery/277434

Last edited:
Back