• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question for the Group

Becky973

This weekend I attended a Women On Wheels planning session for the year for Northern IL. During one of the session they had a man give a talk on "How to be a Road Captain" for a ride. This guy owns/runs a touring company in the Chicago area. He rides a HD (Hog). He said that National HOG Association has a 25 page manual on being a "Road Captain" for group rides and that all major association have a manual on the subject. My question to you is: Does BMW MOA have a "Road Captain Manual"? And if so where is it?

Becky

Interesting question. I'm sure you will get a lot opinions, but I would love to see if there is an actual manual.
I would doubt it, but let's see..........

Not that I know of but I know that the group rides others take are far more organized and controlled than you typically see in BMW riders. Most of the folks I know might follow a suggested ride but massive group rides are almost unheard of.

My observation only, others may have a different experience.

Google Search

I found many sites listing the following duties for a 'Road Captain' - definitely slanted to the cruiser/HOG crowd... as already said, likely to draw diverse commentary from this group.

Road Captain Duties

Conduct a Safe Ride
Maintain a Safe Speed for Conditions and Riders Capabilities
Signal Riders of Intended Lane Changes, Stops, Road Conditions and Formation Changes
Maintain Control and Integrity of the Group

Pre-Ride the Route. (Normally, more than one Road Captain will do the
Pre- Ride)
Map the Route
Establish Rest Area's
Set Gas Stops about 100 mile intervals
Make allowances for Road Construction and Hazards

Brief Riders before the Start of the Ride
Explain the Ride Plans
Destination
Route to be taken
Length of the Ride
Scheduled Stops
Gas
Food
Pictures
Restroom Breaks
Identify when and where the Official Group Ride Starts and Ends
Identify other Road Captains for the Ride
Big Groups may require more than one Road Captain
Identify Tail Gunner(s) for the Ride
Big Groups may require more than one Tail Gunner
Give a brief explanation of what the Road Captain and Tail Gunners do during the Ride
Question the Riders about any special needs or concerns they may have
Medical
Speed
Small Gas Tanks and/or Bladders
Freeway Traffic
Twister Roads
Riding Position

Explain the Group Rules for Member and Guest Riders
Illegal Drugs and Alcohol
NO Alcohol before and during a Group Ride
Illegal Drugs - Never
Group Riding Rules
Hand Signals
Along with the Tail Gunner, do a bike and rider count.

Thanks for the answers

I see that these rules are mainly for HD riding groups. I can not find anything on Honda or BMW group sites about "Road Captain"" guidelines. Thanks again

Becky

I've led a whole bunch of rides. Here's what I do. I always have a pre-ride huddle.

- Describe the general route, including stops to pee, get coffee, gas, etc.
- Instruct everyone to ride their own ride.
- Remind people that if they're riding faster than they'd like, let people by and ride at their own pace.
- Remind people not to crawl up each other's butt.
- Every time there's a stop sign, wait until the bike behind you comes into view before leaving that spot.
- Appoint someone as sweep.
- Take a head count before you leave.
- Describe your location at the end, so people can call if they get lost, separated or something.
- Remind people that if they're going to leave the ride partway through, they should tell someone so we don't have to go back and start looking for them.
- Be sure to remember that your origin will require a place to park all the bikes.
- If you're going to a restaurant and you have a sizable group, call ahead so they can be ready for you. In some cases, they may open up a room for you.

As the leader, you need to think for the whole group sometimes.

Leaving a parking lot and pulling out into traffic? Wait until there's enough room for everyone to come out. Passing a car? Make sure you move over to let the next guy in behind you. Riding quickly? Don't lose the group! Keep an eye on the folks behind you. Make sure they're doing OK and folks aren't pulling over or doing anything odd. This might be your first indicator that something bad has happened. Make sure you have a cell phone to get help, if it comes to that. If I'm leading a group, I'm usually on the RT and carry a first aid kit.

I find that most folks are used to riding in a staggered formation, etc. Around here, groups typically start to split into fast, medium and "looking at the scenery" groups. It'll happen naturally and if people have been on a group ride before, they'll probably automatically sort themselves as they're leaving the parking lot.

This weekend I attended a Women On Wheels planning session for the year for Northern IL. During one of the session they had a man give a talk on "How to be a Road Captain" for a ride. This guy owns/runs a touring company in the Chicago area. He rides a HD (Hog). He said that National HOG Association has a 25 page manual on being a "Road Captain" for group rides and that all major association have a manual on the subject. My question to you is: Does BMW MOA have a "Road Captain Manual"? And if so where is it?

Becky

None that I've every heard of. Some of the local clubs might, but nothing the BMW MOA has.

I know this may sound a bit obvious, but have a few set hand signals. And, go over them at the beginning of the ride. I was on a local shop ride a few years back and gestured to the rider waiting for me to go on ahead, which I meant I would catch up. However, the other rider interpreted as a wave goodbye from the group. Luckily, I was with someone who knew how to get back.

Chartered Clubs just did my article on group rides...

clicky

Over on the Expresso Riders Forum EXR Forum there is a subsection called The Ride Leaders Discussion (you must be a member of the forum to see it) and in there are several articles about being a rider within a group, being the "caboose", riding the #2 position, staggered riding, etc.

Been doing this too long not to have some insight... :D

Back