• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need Lake Superior circle tour suggestions

Red, it's a great ride and well worth the time. Ditto what others have posted. I did it back in 2000 on a KLR, I had plans of doing some fire trails but ended up staying on pavement except for about 30 miles of gravel.

The only concerns would be: not to ride at night because of all the critters; watch out for moose; bring lots of visor and windscreen cleaner because of all the bugs; bring plenty of insect repellent.

As I remember there was one stretch of road, on the north east side of the lake, with a lot of logging trucks on the road. They drive fast and pass anywhere, the back end of the log trailers seem to sway more than "regular" semis; bark and chunks of dirt fly off the back end.

I'd go again, have a great ride!

Lake Superior Route

I have a GPX file with a route and a bunch of POI waypoints in it that you are welcome to consider as you plan your trip.
798551054_EpbAk-XL.jpg

You can download the file from the Lake Superior directory at this link:
http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/

Hope some of this proves helpful to your trip!

Trip around Lake Superior

You will have to stop in Marquette, MI...lots of really good restaunts, good motels and scenery. The historical Landmark Inn <www.thelandmarkinn.com> is guaranteed to be a memorable stay (outside the normal hotel and eatery). Located downtown Marquette, MI, they have (in our book) the best hamburgers, great beer and atmostphere. You can stay within the hotel and get a room with a beautiful view overlooking Lake Superior.

Blessings,
John and Ann Johnson

I always walk out on the breakwater when I am in Marquette. Never tried venturing out past the concrete part, I see some do that though. I think it may only be fishers though.

Gilly

Have fun!

LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS

?À Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh water on the planet earth.

?À It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.

?À The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.

?À There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior.

?À Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.

A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it Lac Tracy , but that name was never officially adopted.

?À It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined, plus three extra Lake Eries .

?À There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Marys River (Sault Ste Marie) into Lake Huron . but it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.

?À There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water a foot deep.

?À Lake Superior was formed during the last glacial retreat, making it one of the earth's youngest major features at only about 10,000 years old.

?À The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.

?À There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.

?À The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters or 31 feet high.

?À If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas.

?À Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the largest source being the Nipigon River.

?À The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and

clearest of the Great Lakes . Underwater visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.

?À In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.

?À Some of the world's oldest rocks, formed about 2.7 billion years ago, can be found on the Ontario shore of Lake Superior.

?À It very rarely freezes over completely, and then usually just for a few hours.

Complete freezing occurred in 1962, 1979, 2003 and 2009.

I did this ride last August and it was awesome! Watch out for Moose! There are a lot of signs warning you and we saw two. We decided to camp, the camp grounds in Ontario are very nice! We also ran this counter clockwise and it seemed like a lot of the bikes were coming from the other direction.

Attachments

• P1010313.jpg
    P1010313.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks like I am going to be doing this route again this July. Applied for a passport a couple weeks ago. Probably just from Duluth, up around to Ste St Marie, probably over to Paradise, then home.
Gilly (mid July if anyone is interested.)

I'm In!

I live in Lake Mills and have a cabin in Manitowish Waters. It's great place to hold up the first night. I have three friends that usually come from Minneapolis and we meet in Mantowish at my place. What do you think?
Dave

Back