• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need Lake Superior circle tour suggestions

I did the Lake circumnavigation last July. It is some of the most dramatic scenery between the coasts. Highly recommend it. From Nipigon I headed north to Nakina. Immediately out of Nipigon you pass by the "Palisades", very unique Devil's Tower like formations, not as big but very dramatic and VERY old. In Nakina the pavement ends. There is only one motel and one restaurant. There are three schools in one building, French, English, and Original Peoples. The main function of the "town" is the airport which serves as transportation to points farther north. Two miles north of the airport is a sea plane base, sort of an airport annex. Also on the lake are Lodges, but no lodging. It is there that you catch a sea plane to the lodges! Oh yeah, I went counterclockwise. Two miles out of the Canadian Sault, this was in broad daylight at about 3:00 P.M. there was a black bear walking along the road. Don't miss Aerotech in Minn. Keep it gassed up. A great ride.

I could go on forever. You will see little figures along side the road usually on a low stone cut through a hill. The figures are little stacks of rock, sometimes made to look like little men a foot high or so. They are markers put there by the Original Peoples. Way cool.

I've wanted to get up to the UP and check out this brew-pub. Has anyone else been there? Thought I'd throw it in as a suggestion to try it.
http://www.superiorsights.com/tahqfallsbrew/
Look scenic too. It would be near the shipwreck museum that was mentioned earlier. Near Paradise, MI. Some nice riding around there and I would also recommend the museum. Near Whitefish Point (OK, ON Whitefish Point) which is where The Fitz was trying to get to when it sank.
Gilly

Thanks, everybody for some GREAT suggestions! The route is coming together, slowly but surely! Keep em coming, and thanks again-in advance!

I did this trip last August on a GS650 by myself and had a fantastic trip. Don't miss heading to Copper Harbor, MI - a great ride up to the top of Brockaway Mountain. I rode from Houghton that morning to have breakfast in Copper Harbor. I don't remember the name of the place but it was right where the road tees in town. Many great sights to see on the entire loop. I did it clockwise - basically started at Paradise MI (after riding up from Kalamazoo the day before) and followed every two lane I could find that ran close to the lake. If you are looking for dirt try heading up to Crisp Point near Paradise. An old lighthouse is at the end of the road and hardly anyone makes the trip. I also enjoyed the ride up highway 13 out of Ashland WI. Fog in the morning in Canada made it very interesting and beautiful. Watch out for the logging trucks and Moose thru that area as well. Many other great sites to see if you are not restricted on time. Have a great trip.

Hello Red,

How long are you planning for this trip?

Is this a GS thing or are you planning on staying on pavement?

For the most part the dream is shaping up to include pavement and sissy gravel type of trip-SO FAR, however it's funny thing about planning trips; they can !poof! change direction as easy as the wind blows...

I keep getting information from people that are about destinations off the beaten path type stuff which may lead to an interesting trip!

I used to know many people that would come to Colorado, drive or ride up I-70 to Vail or Glenwood, or make the summit of Trail Ridge Road as their destination, maybe throw in a day trip to Colorado Springs and then exclaim "I've seen Colorado"...no, you have only driven by Colorado if that's the extent of the trip!

I want more from Lake Superior.

Personally, I love to go visit old places, undisturbed or at least not crowded with Le Barons and Windstars. and brand new FLT's. Old lighthouses, Old oak barns with the grand roofs and cupolas, graveyards and other places that represent the history of the place is what turns me on as must sees in the places I'm passing through!

Thanks, everyone for these ongoing ideas of places to go.

There is a nice lighthouse in Two Harbors, MN:

jamesbay3.jpg

There is also a nice view at a pull-off JUST before you get to the MN-CA border crossing (sadly this photo is a little washed out):

jamesbay6.jpg

About 1/2 south of the Canadian border in Minnesota there is a ranger station on the north side of HWY 61. (Pigeon River?) You can walk a path there that goes about 1/2 to 3/4 mile into the woods where there is a beautiful waterfall.

Did the trip last september after labor day, one of the best trips ever. Did it counterclockwise from east to west. No traffic to speak of, great scenary, nice people. Check out Mackinaw Bridge, Sault Ste. Marie locks, small trading posts, tons of little lakes and rivers, great towns, roads and people. Also stopped at Aerostich in Duluth. Motels are bit more expensive in Canada. Smoked fish were my main diet, lots of stands that sell them. Get ready to take many, many pictures.

Personally, I love to go visit old places, undisturbed or at least not crowded with Le Barons and Windstars. and brand new FLT's. Old lighthouses, Old oak barns with the grand roofs and cupolas, graveyards and other places that represent the history of the place is what turns me on as must sees in the places I'm passing through!

Thanks, everyone for these ongoing ideas of places to go.

Before you get to Coopper Harbor, an interesting stop if you like this type of thing (which I also like), is the ghost town of Mandan, MI. It's just of Hwy 41 and I've never seen anyone there, except one old house which is still in use as a cabin, I don't think those people ever leave! But nice people.

A good side trip that doesn't get "tons" of visitors (but expect a few minivans) is The Delaware Mine. You get to go down to the first level. They have to keep water pumped out so you can't go deeper than that.
http://www.copperharbor.org/site_files/del_mine/del_mine.html

Many of the stores sell a series of local history books, which are fun to pick up and catch up on later, after the trip. They are cheap and pack easily.

Gilly

I believe that lighthouse on Two harbors is also a B&B and on the National Historic Register.

D

You are correct! I forgot about that. I actually paid the few dollars so I could walk to the top and take a look around. The place is supposed to be haunted I guess. It looks like a cool place to stay. While I was there, I walked out on the LOOOONG jetty just as an ore freighter came in and made a rather impressive swing and squeeze through there. I continued on and camped just past Grand Marais at Judge CR Magney State Park (pretty nice place for people who like to camp - the bathroom/showers were extremely clean). Coincidentally, there is a short walk you can take at that park to view Devil's Kettle Falls. It's rather interesting - the falls split into two. One side goes over the falls and continues downstream. The other half falls into a "hole" (the Devils Kettle) and disappears. They think it ends up in Lake Superior via underground channels, but they have never been able to verify that.

to redcflco
tahquamenon falls near paradise is worth the stop.
to detour
here in the eastern U.P. it's not safe to plant till after june 15 on account of frost

To schweinweg, what's your opinion on the brew pub that's located near the falls? Am thinking on tryiong to get a long weekend up there with my brothers this summer some time. We did Copper Harbor last year. We were going to try to do both. MAN it's a long long ways to go from Paradise to Copper Harbor, I map quested it and just couldn't believe that distance! So we called off the dual destination, time would not allow us to do both.
Gilly

brew pub

gilly
I'm not much of a beer connoisseur it's a nice place and the location at the falls is nice,the food is kinda high priced but I'm a natural born tight wad.

My wife and I rode up to the UP last summer from texas and had a wonderful time.One of the places we stayed at was this B&B in Eagle township.http://www.dapple-gray.com/ Little pricey but very nice.
If you stay, ask for dinner suggestions. There is a great restaurant just up the road in an old lighthouse near the ferry service to Isle Royal.

That would be in Copper Harbor I assume? I think that's where the ferry landing is.
Gilly

Back