• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Let's see your shop

Being retired and having multiple hobbies, pricey.

Fixed it for ya!

I need to call my analyst. I am feeling inadequate for some reason...
Huge shops, bigger than my BMW dealer's, cars and bikes galore...where did I go wrong?

Harry

My shop has yet to get painted and have a natural gas ceiling mounted furnace and air conditioner installed. Soon; either this summer or the next.

But I did install a MaxJax lift, primarily for the car, but it can be used for my motorcycles as well, not that I think I will. The R80 G/S PD is in the pic, so it is motorcycle related. ;)

MaxJax%20-%20Porsche%20993%20Fully%20Lifted-XL.jpg

My shop is well equipped with a lathe/mill, a compressor that "blows", a TIG welder, etc. I'm looking at getting a media blast cabinet in the near future; the reason for the huge compressor.

RK%207.5%20HP%20Compressor%20-%20Back-L.jpg
Everlast%20250EX%20IGBT%20Inverter%20TIG-L.jpg

And just so that I can enjoy all this stuff, I took early retirement. Work was cutting into my activities. :D

Hey Alex, I'm curious as to why you have your compressor mounted on a "pallet". It is so that you don't have to drill any holes in the concrete?

I rent the shop my business is located in, and the reason I don't bolt my compressor down has more to do with fire code than holes ... In the county of San Luis Obispo, in the Great State of Calfornia, if the compressor is bolted down it constitutes a "pressurized system" - why that is a problem, I have no clue. I guess that the gas line that runs across the overhead isn't an issue (that I'm aware of).

Like I said, just curious.

Hey Alex, I'm curious as to why you have your compressor mounted on a "pallet".

My compressor is in the basement of my house so that it does not occupy valuable garage space. That base is 3 feet x 4 feet.

Being where it is, even though it is a 7.5 HP with a low 560 RPM pump that is quiet to start with, I didn't want low frequency vibrations making its way to the concrete and house.

That compressor is directly below one of my rooms and when I am watching TV, I can hardly hear it running.

In case you are wondering, that base is made from 3/4 inch plywood and 2 x 4 lumber that is PL Premium glued and screwed. Within the base, there are two sets of two 2 x 4s running on each side of the tank mounts with left over plywood that was PL Premium glued between them for the tank lag screws to screw into.

The 1/2 inch layer of closed cell foam pad under the base prevents moisture and adds a barrier of damping.

1. After years of waiting, I finally built a shop that I didn't have to share with the cars.
2. Imagine the look on my face when I looked through the current issue of ON and found
a vertical mill like mine in the super shop.
3. Winter storage. Barn doesn't offer much protection from the elements or a floor.
Not unusual in our area to see an old cargo box from a delivery truck used for storage. I sawed a hole
in the barn and hid mine. Even has a electric opener. Also use to store the RT any time the shop is occupied with a project.

Shop.jpg
Mill.JPG
Barn.jpg

No pictures, but last night I was at a friends home. A confirmed life-long bachelor, he has a nice 4 bedroom house with a huge attached shop. I say 4 bedroom, but bedroom one is his reloading room. Over 40 chambering reamers, 80+ reloading dies amd more primers and powder than an arsenal. Bedroom 2 is a woodworking shop with all the machinery one could imagine. Bedroom 3 is a machine shop with mills, lathes and other assorted metal working tools; also has three large gun safes. Bedroom 4 is just a bedroom; well armed, but still a functional bedroom. His 3 room shop has an automobile lift, welding gear, a Hunter 4 wheel alignment outfit, assorted presses and drills and stored motorcycles and a Model A touring car. The kitchen is still under construction, functional, but unfinished since he built the house in 1978. Larry was in the auto service business from being a young mechanic to being a service manager and then 30 years teaching auto tech at the local community college. I can just imagine his house being on the market. It is nicely kept and in a good area, Prospective buyer husband walks in and within 5 minutes says we'll take it; prospective buyer wife has miner coronary event.

Back