• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Your speed in the twisties

I tend to not let a road sign influence me regarding speed selection unless the sign is something out of the ordinary, like that cute little orange diamond shaped one on a temporary road side barricade that states "loose gravel":D
763222811_hPNWQ-S.jpg

The speed I carry into a curve depends on a lot of things, most importantly for me, how "on" I am that day, or at that part of the day. There are times where I'm fluid and fast and times I'm out of sync with the bike and I back off. There is only a couple MPH difference between those two experiences, but that is all it takes to move out of your comfort zone.

Well said! I used to ride quite a bit with a guy who was about equal to me on twisty roads. We always left several seconds between the bikes, took turns leading, and neither usually felt either pushed or held back.

One day in Washington state (great day, great road) my friend was leading, riding below the speed limit and I wanted to GO. He slowed more and waved me past to have my fun. I pulled over where the road forked and 5 minutes later he showed up.

"What happened?" "My mind was on other things and decided to pull over until I could get it back on riding." I thought that was one of the wisest things any rider has ever said to me.

None of us are always "on our game." Since then I have occasionally pulled over but even more often slowed down until I could again focus on the task at hand.

...the road east of Cherryville...contains the curves, which are deceptively marked...BCKRIDER

Yes, that is a challenging section.

...a deer darted out of the bushes...there...

I had a near collision with one in the same area; it just jumped out of the bushes in front of me. I've been told that the area between Monashee Pass and Cherryville is full of deer.

I really misjudged it...Bogthebasher

I've blown a number of corners, on both highways, and I've been very lucky.

ref post 95-96

Doug,

I did not take your comments as any sort of attack.
I should have elaborated. For ME, as a general mesure of the speed that I can handle in the curve, I found posted km/h=mph. This is just a rule of thumb and not any sort of universal truth. It has served me well through 31 active seasons of riding. I rarely base my speed (strait or curve) on the posted limit. I use any posted limit as a suggestion and ride in my comfort zone. I use my judgement , my realistic evaluation of my own skills as well as road conditions to adjust speed. I also don't get ovely hung-up on what the speedometer says.
I appreciate your concerns for others safety.
As for your invitation to'Come back to Canada on your bike and and enjoy our great country', I agree that Canada is a great country. There is no need to 'come back', since last time I checked, Qu?®bec was still part of Canada!!! :D:ca
speed safely
Denis

There is no need to 'come back', since last time I checked, Qu?®bec was still part of Canada!!! :D:ca
speed safely
Denis[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Denis! Forgot to check where you are from, which is really pretty dumb since my bike also reads in miles per hour!

My last two bikes came from the states, so are in mph. I run a K100 as well. Mines an '85 EML sidecar rig.
Obey the laws of physics,
Denis

Back