• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

For my riding, clearance will never be an issue. No. 1 I wouldn't have my feet out there if I were in twisties.....they are called highway pegs for a reason. They are so easy to flip in, the wind does it if you leave them out. If you left them out in twisties they would just fold in without an issue.

I think the design is really good. I can't use them for more than a few minutes at a time but it's much better than hanging my feet. I think my knees like them!

Beemergirl

Thanks for the response! My question wasn't about the pegs extended. When the pegs are installed, in the folded position, there is a slight los of ground clearance. In real world aplication it's a loss of about 3 degrees of lean angle which is no big deal for me and my riding style. Thanks again. :bikes

Thanks for the response! My question wasn't about the pegs extended. When the pegs are installed, in the folded position, there is a slight los of ground clearance. In real world aplication it's a loss of about 3 degrees of lean angle which is no big deal for me and my riding style. Thanks again. :bikes

I have size 14 feet and I keep stumping my toes:scratch

4,500 mile trip report Ilium highway pegs

i have a 2011 R1200RT. Installed Ztechnik head protector and Ilium highway pegs. Just finished a 4,500 mile trip over 9 days. The highway pegs provide a MUCH need extended position. They felt very solid. I wouldn't ride a long distance without them. Make sure you keep them clean and lubricate the ball bearing.

Work good...
Easily extended and retracted...
Look good - quality pieces...

The only thing I miss is that I cannot just lay my heels on them and let my legs hang.

They fold up, I was wondering if I can tighten up the fold mechanism - just haven't had time enough to look closely!

I have ~2K miles with them now and love em!

I got the Ilium pegs for Christmas and installed them last weekend!
Installation was straightforward on the '07 R1200RT.
They flip out and in while riding very easily.
They allow a good stretch to your legs.
I have the black plastic cylinder head protectors and there is a slight bit of interference, but nothing that is a show stopper.
The foot peg itself is adjustable front to back. I have them allthe way forward and that works for me.
I really like that the foot peg rotates.
I doubt if there is a clearance issue for most RT riders when leaned over in a turn.

Cheers,

I have these on my 07 RT as well. They work. However, regardless of how well a product works, it's useless if the company doesn't stand behind it and support it when there is a problem.

That is absolutely not the case with Ilium Works!

I'd been running my Ilium Works Highway Pegs for about 20,000 miles when I decided to make an adjustment to move them forward a notch. As I started to loosen the screws on the left side, I noticed one of them was really hard to turn. Looking closely at it, I noticed there was a small hairline crack in the mount around it. Pulling the peg off, there was indeed a crack. I also noticed the peg was fairly difficult to fold and unfold with my hand. Hmm.

I called Ilium Works and spoke with Ron. He told me to pack them both up and send them to him. Within a week, I have them back, cracked part replaced, all cleaned up, lubed and working smooth as butter.

Ilium Works refused any form of payment - stating it was under warranty. I pointed out that looking at the outside ends of the pegs, it was pretty clear that I'd touched down on both sides. Ron noted that it looked like that was the case and the crack was the result of the peg not being properly lubed, preventing it from folding with ground impact. I told him I agree that I'd never lubed the pegs and that since the problem was pretty clearly my fault, I'd be happy to pay for the part and service. He flat refused.

Excellent company to deal with, and excellent products. I've since added their sidestand foot that is also a super addition.

The point of this note is - Ilium Works is an excellent company that stands behind their products 100 percent and if you use their pegs, don't forget to keep them lubed so they can works the way they were designed to work.

:brow

waiting for reviews and a spiritual motivation from above to spend that kind of money on hyway pegs

Looking at them also

I noticed in the latest edition of ON there was an ad for the BMW Highway pegs (Horizontal Mount Style) by Illium Works. As I am looking forward to several long rides this summer, including a trip out west to the International rally, I am interested in a good set of highway pegs that are also safe. Has anyone had any experience with these pegs? Are there any other brands that one would recommend. I have a 2002 R1150RT and am 5'10"" tall with a 30" inseam.

Illium is the answer

I'm now up to about 80K on my Illium hiway pegs. No issues and they work like they did when new. I did a U.S. Four Corners ride with them a couple of years ago and my bud Steve Aikens did an Iron Butt rally with his. The farther the ride, the cheaper they become. :) Buy them and don't look back.

Good luck!

I have these on my 07 RT as well. They work. However, regardless of how well a product works, it's useless if the company doesn't stand behind it and support it when there is a problem.

I'd been running my Ilium Works Highway Pegs for about 20,000 miles when I decided to make an adjustment to move them forward a notch. As I started to loosen the screws on the left side, I noticed one of them was really hard to turn. Looking closely at it, I noticed there was a small hairline crack in the mount around it. Pulling the peg off, there was indeed a crack. I also noticed the peg was fairly difficult to fold and unfold with my hand. Hmm.

I called Ilium Works and spoke with Ron. He told me to pack them both up and send them to him. Within a week, I have them back, cracked part replaced, all cleaned up, lubed and working smooth as butter.

Ilium Works refused any form of payment - stating it was under warranty. I pointed out that looking at the outside ends of the pegs, it was pretty clear that I'd touched down on both sides. Ron noted that it looked like that was the case and the crack was the result of the peg not being properly lubed, preventing it from folding with ground impact. I told him I agree that I'd never lubed the pegs and that since the problem was pretty clearly my fault, I'd be happy to pay for the part and service. He flat refused.

Excellent company to deal with, and excellent products. I've since added their sidestand foot that is also a super addition.

The point of this note is - Ilium Works is an excellent company that stands behind their products 100 percent and if you use their pegs, don't forget to keep them lubed so they can works the way they were designed to work.

I had a similar experiance . Rubber started to come off floorboards. They were replaced promptly at no charge. I also have the footpegs. There products are great and well worth the extra dollars you spend. A lot of quality and great folks to work with!

Jack

$299 USD = $309 Canbucks! my gawd that seems pricey. Must be made of titanium! the posters b4, I would love to hear experience before plunking down cash. I too am looking for something to stop my knee-ache issues - especially since I am considering doing the Iron Butt thing to Redmond this year.

+1

I'm now up to about 80K on my Illium hiway pegs.
You always have to go one better - damn. I'm at near 76K on mine - so I owe you 4K.

When I head to pizza party mid-March, I'll do some route adjustment and pick that up. Considering another 50CC.

You and the pretty one making it to Jacksonville?

I'm glad this came up again. Reminds me to go lube the pegs again.:p

Hey there southern trash!

Which "pretty one" you referring to? Deb or Jay? :eek I mentioned a 50cc to Jay a couple of months ago. Deb can't do the night riding, her eyes drive her nuts after dark. She'll have to do the rest of her 600K in daylight.

Maybe we need to try a 50cc small group ride. Very small group. Or at least start and end at the same place. I got a new stich last fall that needs breaking in it's barely got 5K on it. I can almost bend it enough to scratch my nose. :laugh

Last edited:
Hmm. Interesting thought. You guys are on my short list of who I'll ride with. I'll either call or email you when I get some time.

If you're on the short side, like I am (5'7") and run the risk of dropping the bike when parking because your foot found a hole or a slippery patch (like I did) always make sure to retract the Highway Pegs before (I didn't.) If you drop the bike, it's almost certain the peg will break. Now, not only do you not have the peg anymore on the (long) way back home, but it's also dangling and scraping in every bend.

2012 r1200rt ilium pegs

I have them on my bike and love them,they work well but did not fit the wunderlich engine guards so the dealer took the crash bars back,I have a Russell seat and it complements it very well

Hiway pegs

I had set of Sahara highway pegs and I switched to the ilium pegs. I've only rode the bike for about 300 miles because of the cold winter weather so far so good comfortable and sturdy they're pricey but so far seem to be worth it

Back