• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I Need a New Helmet

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
First, let me say I have a Shoei head :) I have had Shoei helmets and like them, I was wearing my RF-900 with great result when I cracked some years ago. That said, my current Duo-Tec and System III Evolution helmets are begging to be replaced and I am in the market.

I have tried on the new Shoei RF-1000 and the RF-1100 and both fit well in XL. I would buy right now if it weren't for the $400 price tag. I know the old adage, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet" but I tried on one of the new Scorpion EXO-700 helmets and found it to be also as nice a fit as the Shoei offerings (but in XXL, go figure), well made, light and only about $180.

Any thoughts from people that have both and might be able to compare fit, finish, weight, and "quietness"?

Thanks!

Pothings Nerfect

Went from the Shoei 900 to the Scorpion EXO 1000.

1) It is OK but not as plush/soft inside as the Shoei. Rubs a little after 2-3 hours. Even after taking all the labels out.
2) Kind of heavy
3) Rarely use the wiz bang sun shield but it is nice once and a while. It does have you looking through 3 surfaces ( I wear glasses).
4) The ventilation does not seem to work as well as the Shoei RF 900.
5) Will seriously look at the Arai next time.

YMMV

Ted;

Helmetshop.com has the Shoei RF1100 in white for $288, metallics for $302, those
were the prices a few days ago.

First, let me say I have a Shoei head :) I have had Shoei helmets and like them, I was wearing my RF-900 with great result when I cracked some years ago. That said, my current Duo-Tec and System III Evolution helmets are begging to be replaced and I am in the market.

I have tried on the new Shoei RF-1000 and the RF-1100 and both fit well in XL. I would buy right now if it weren't for the $400 price tag. I know the old adage, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet" but I tried on one of the new Scorpion EXO-700 helmets and found it to be also as nice a fit as the Shoei offerings (but in XXL, go figure), well made, light and only about $180.

Any thoughts from people that have both and might be able to compare fit, finish, weight, and "quietness"?

Thanks!
Hi, Ted --

I know this is going opposite your price range, but if you ever want to try on my Schuberth Concept 3 (and then rationalize the extra cost as only a couple extra bux a month over 5 years :D), most days I'm downtown (1001 Penn) with it.

Best,
Mark Neblett
GULC '94

Mark! If not for helmet compares then lunch maybe?

Ted Verrill
GULC '94 :D

Last edited:
Try the Helmet Shop in FL. Bought several from them -excellent service and good prices. CALL - don't pay any attention to posted prices on their website.
Depending on color you should be able to get that 1100 for 250-300, I suspect, maybe even less.
My Shoeis come from them.

http://www.helmetshop.com/

Stay away from Nolen, noisy, and problems with all of the new face and sun shields scratching all the time. If I would not have plopped down $380.00 for this new one I would throw it in the garbage.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Mark! If not for helmet compares then lunch maybe?

Ted Verrill
GULC '94 :D
That would be good -- I haven't kept up with the class, and I left WRF in '99, so I haven't heard anything about your Dad for sometime -- lots to catch up on. This week and next are a bit crazy, but I'll give you a PM sometime after.

Best,
Mark

I also have a "Shoei head" and have had a series of RFs (after going to Schuberth/BMW for a couple helmets). The Schuberth and BMW modular helmets fit nice at first but they all got loose and noisy after a while, and they didn't ventilate well. They were also very big and somewhat heavy.

So I wanted to go back to a full face Shoei. I especially missed the little tab on the left that keeps the visor cracked open. For me, a helmet has to have good venting or it's too hot and stuffy.

I eventually bought a full graphics Shoei X-11 about three years ago. It was NIB on eBay for $400 when they were going for $700 retail three years ago (even the solid colors were $500). Hunt around.

The venting is great on the newer Shoeis, and the X-11 was significantly lighter than any of the modular helmets. Much smaller on the outside, too, so it didn't push my head around in the wind as much.

Also, the Pinlock system works great in conditions that would fog up the shield.

helmet

I always used an Arai which is a fine helmet as is the Shoei. I used both along with my wife having a shoei. Last year I purchased a Scorpion EXO 1000. I love it. I kept the clear shield on it and just use the flip down internal visor for the bright, sunny days. It is great. Having said this, I purchased a new EXO900 modular for my wife. It is also a great fit. She had a Shoei 900 for the past 5 years. IMHO, Scorpion makes a fine helmet at about half the cost of the shoei and arai. Nuf said. Most importantly,,,,, MAKE SURE IT FITS.

Stay away from Nolen, noisy, and problems with all of the new face and sun shields scratching all the time. If I would not have plopped down $380.00 for this new one I would throw it in the garbage.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I bought a Nolan N 103 and I wish I never did, It is very noisy and fogs up all the time. I have to crack the visor open just a bit to get rid of the fog. :banghead Save yourself the headace and stay away from it.

Sarelp
Burlington CO

As a followup, I bought a new helmet last weekend. I was down at Morton's BMW's winter rally event and saw they had a sale on helmets. I tried on a Shoei RF-1000, an RF-1100, an Arai ???, and the Scorpion EXO-700 and 1000. All fit fairly well but I was most impressed by the Scorpion 700, in both fit, weight and field of vision.

They didn't have the day-glo I wanted but they did have white (I am thinking a little more visible than the dark blue helmet it replaces!)

+1 on the EXO-700 I've had mine for a couple of years now and love it. My Shoei and Arai stay on the shelf.

Went from the Shoei 900 to the Scorpion EXO 1000.

1) It is OK but not as plush/soft inside as the Shoei. Rubs a little after 2-3 hours. Even after taking all the labels out.
2) Kind of heavy
3) Rarely use the wiz bang sun shield but it is nice once and a while. It does have you looking through 3 surfaces ( I wear glasses).
4) The ventilation does not seem to work as well as the Shoei RF 900.
5) Will seriously look at the Arai next time.

YMMV

I replaced my Shoei RF1000 with an Scorpion EXO 1000.
1) Didn't know it was less plush. No rubbing even after 12 hour days.
2) Don't notice the weight.
3) Constantly using the wiz bang shield, especially when riding in areas that go from shade to bright sunlight. Change the visor on the fly. I seldom need to wear sunglasses now.
4) The ventilation not only works better than my Shoei RF1000, it does not increase wind noise like my Shoei does.
5) Much, much quieter than my Schubert, very much quieter than my Shoei.
6) Will consider another Scorpion next time.

7) Impressive customer service. Check out the link below as to how I inflicted some damage to the Scorpion helmet and the company's response.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=34518&highlight=Scorpion+Helmet

The Scorpion also has foam cut out for speakers. A good buy for a good price.

wrong... on my wife's Scorpion 700 the speaker holes were there, but not deep enough. her speakers kept hitting her ears. I had to cut them deeper. same thing on my Shoei RF 1000.

Back