• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Decision is Made!

F

From MARS

I'm going to go sailing..... again. There. I've said it. Now that it is "out there" for all the world to see, I have to follow thru. So, for the next 9 months or so, I'll be concentrating on getting my little boat ready for it's next adventure.

That is, after I get the PD Winter projects finished. I'm waiting for the steering bearings and a few other parts to arrive. In the meantime, I'm changing out the FD and swingarm pivot bearings, lubricating both splines, and giving the bike a good going over. The new owner should be pleased. I want to have good Karma when I'm out in the middle of the ocean.

This isn't a decision that was reached easily. But when I started looking at where I am in life, it only makes sense. I have no one depending on me for anything and no debts. I feel as though I am wasting the 25 years of knowledge I have about boats and sailing. I have this little boat (32 footer) that is perfect for living aboard and, with a little preparation, will take me anywhere I wish to go. With my skill set, I can earn money to cover my expenses any place there are boats to be fixed. Besides, I'll be 60 yo this year. If I don't go now, time may pass me by.

During my time of introspection leading up to this decision, I wrote to the poet laureate of the BMWMOA, Redclfco, and told him of my thoughts. In his inimitable way, he responded, "The breeze and moisture you feel misting on your face in life is either from the sea spray while you pursue your dreams or piss mist from pissing your life away." How succinct!

So, while I will remain a member of the MOA for at least a little while and love my airhead dearly, I'll be selling the bike to help finance the rework of the boat and to remove the temptation to ride instead of work on the boat; procrastination is one of my long suits. I could let her sit in the bike cave while I travel, but that would be a waste of a great bike. Besides, I really need the money.

To all of the friends I have made while a member of this club, I say thank you for your friendship. As you ride, if you find yourself on a shoreline, look towards the water and think of me. Every time I see a BMW scooting around, I'll be thinking of you. Who knows, we may even meet each other.
:wave
Tom

"The breeze and moisture you feel misting on your face in life is either from the sea spray while you pursue your dreams or piss mist from pissing your life away. How succinct!"

How perfect a response that was!....Dale is right....go for it. Overall, I doubt that you'll ever regret taking the opportunity to do something you love doing! It's the not doing the things we love that cause regret.

Congratulations on making the decision. :thumb

I'm going to go sailing..... With my skill set, I can earn money to cover my expenses any place there are boats to be fixed. Besides, I'll be 60 yo this year. If I don't go now, time may pass me by.

Tom

Life begins at 60. (Or at least it did for me).:wave
Best of luck on your new adventure.

I'm going to go sailing..... again. There. I've said it. Now that it is "out there" for all the world to see, I have to follow thru. So, for the next 9 months or so, I'll be concentrating on getting my little boat ready for it's next adventure.

That is, after I get the PD Winter projects finished. I'm waiting for the steering bearings and a few other parts to arrive. In the meantime, I'm changing out the FD and swingarm pivot bearings, lubricating both splines, and giving the bike a good going over. The new owner should be pleased. I want to have good Karma when I'm out in the middle of the ocean.

This isn't a decision that was reached easily. But when I started looking at where I am in life, it only makes sense. I have no one depending on me for anything and no debts. I feel as though I am wasting the 25 years of knowledge I have about boats and sailing. I have this little boat (32 footer) that is perfect for living aboard and, with a little preparation, will take me anywhere I wish to go. With my skill set, I can earn money to cover my expenses any place there are boats to be fixed. Besides, I'll be 60 yo this year. If I don't go now, time may pass me by.

During my time of introspection leading up to this decision, I wrote to the poet laureate of the BMWMOA, Redclfco, and told him of my thoughts. In his inimitable way, he responded, "The breeze and moisture you feel misting on your face in life is either from the sea spray while you pursue your dreams or piss mist from pissing your life away." How succinct!

So, while I will remain a member of the MOA for at least a little while and love my airhead dearly, I'll be selling the bike to help finance the rework of the boat and to remove the temptation to ride instead of work on the boat; procrastination is one of my long suits. I could let her sit in the bike cave while I travel, but that would be a waste of a great bike. Besides, I really need the money.

To all of the friends I have made while a member of this club, I say thank you for your friendship. As you ride, if you find yourself on a shoreline, look towards the water and think of me. Every time I see a BMW scooting around, I'll be thinking of you. Who knows, we may even meet each other.
Tom

Don't burn any bridges.

Figure out a way to bring the motorcycle along as a compliment to your maritime adventures. Seems as if combining the two would give you access to the whole world.

Last edited:
Life is a daring adventure or nothing . . .

Vaya Con Dios, Tom

Voni
sMiling

Dang son, I envy you in many ways. Please keep your membership up to date and give us a sail report with pictures regularly. You are family and there are many here who don't want to see you sail so far over the horizon that we lose touch.

Fair winds and following seas my friend.

best of luck to you and have a great time!

is your boat in Kansas? i feel a little trailering is going to be in order.:)

as said before. keep your membership and take your Laptop with you. I for one would be interested in hearing about your travels. be safe & have fun... Kenny

Whoo-hoo! Mono-hull sailboats are the best! I wish you well and tons of good times.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks with another couple on a 29 foot sloop in the Greek Ilse back in 1982. She learned to hate sailing (deep water and leaning over), while it is one of my two favorite things to do.

One of these days .....

Tom

Hey Tom,

Best of luck to you. If you ever make it to Rhode Island please don't hesitate to look me up.

I've been involved in the sea as a career since I was 15. Been a sailmaker, boat builder, yacht builder, (yes there is a difference) customer service manager in a large boat yard and race boat captain based out of Newport. I'm still in RI working in operations for a company that owns and operates a fleet of MR petro tankers and a few OBO's.

Our offices are at the Herreshoff Museum. Director of the museum rides a R11RT and is also a MOA member. We enjoy mixing fun on the water with fun on bikes.

Ice Blink

I doubt any of us will talk you out of an adventure. I was watching a piece on PBS last night called Ice Blink. It's the story of a couple who met on the seas, married, and raised three children while traveling the world. Fascinating point of views expressed, especially by their children. The oldest boy remarked to the effect that it was unusual for him to settle down in a Maine school. It was the first school he went to where he didn't have to start out by learning a new language. http://www.thesailingchannel.com/iceblink/index.html

My first time on a sailboat took place on Hong Kong Harbor, of all places, and with a team racing a 12 meter boat. It was a bunch of Brit expatriates living in Hong Kong, working for an airline there. Not only did I have no idea what was going on, they all spoke with a thick Manchester accent, using terms I didn't know. I earned the honorary and highly respected title of "topside weight" that day.

We won the race, and I didn't go overboard, as the crew thought I would.

Later, I vacationed for ten days with my housekeeper and her licensed captain husband on a rented boat in the Keys. What a life. My experience as a pilot made my job as helmsman pretty simple. What a way to go!

So, I can respect your plan to go sailing, again. There are many competitors for a rider's attention beyond two wheels. Sailing is surely one of the finest. Let me know where I can apply for a position as passenger. :buds

Bon voyage, and fair seas,

Jim

Don't burn any bridges.

Figure out a way to bring the motorcycle along as a compliment to your maritime adventures. Seems as if combining the two would give you access to the whole world.

Paul, I'd love to keep her, but perhaps you missed the part about "I really need the money!":violin

best of luck to you and have a great time!

is your boat in Kansas? i feel a little trailering is going to be in order.:)

Yes, Bubba, she is in Kansas. The boat is a Bolger designed vessel that has a very narrow beam and is sitting on an aluminum I-beam, three axle, disc brake, trailer. I need to find some one that has a pickup to move her to the water when she is ready. The closest launch point is Tulsa, OK and then I can take her down thru AR to the Mississippi River, but I hope to find someone that will pull her down to Mobile, AL.

as said before. keep your membership and take your Laptop with you. I for one would be interested in hearing about your travels. be safe & have fun... Kenny

I like the idea of staying a member and posting updates of my travels. If any of you computer whizs have an old MAC notebook that you just don't know what to do with, think of me. Same goes for a digital camera.:thumb

Rob, thanks for your response, and yes, there is a difference between a boat builder and a yacht builder. I've supported myself for years working on yachts (including managing Seabrook Shipyard down in Texas), but I sail a boat.

Thank you to all who have expressed support and good wishes. It is scary jumping off a cliff even when you know that you'll survive.

Tom

Yes, Bubba, she is in Kansas. The boat is a Bolger designed vessel that has a very narrow beam and is sitting on an aluminum I-beam, three axle, disc brake, trailer. I need to find some one that has a pickup to move her to the water when she is ready. The closest launch point is Tulsa, OK and then I can take her down thru AR to the Mississippi River, but I hope to find someone that will pull her down to Mobile, AL.

A river run would be great to ease into the gulf. Sounds fun.

Tom,

Having just spent a week on a 32' cat in the BVI's last month, I know exactly what you are talking about. And in Feb we are going to Tampa to sail with some friends on their new (to them) Catalina 30.

I've found Beemer owners to be complicated folks that have a lot of interests. I would encourage you to blog once you get started. I'm an inveterate armchair traveler and love to read the adventures of others.

The post above mentioned Dave and JaJa Martin and the recent PBS story about their life. The most important thing said was "Go".

Wishing you fair winds and following seas to us all.:thumb

Wish I could make that statement. I'm green with envy. Owned a Vindo 40 for ten years, sailed out of Annapolis and Oxford Maryland.Sold her 5 mo. after doctors told me I was sick but before I finished going thru all the BS. That was 8 years ago. I can honestly say it was a very very big mistake.
Fair winds and following seas.

Let me know where I can apply for a position as passenger. :buds

Bon voyage, and fair seas,

Jim

Anyone with an "airhead" mentality (whether you own one or not) is always welcome aboard.:thumb

Tom

I, too, would volunteer for deck ape duty if you needed one. Wish I still had my Expedition with the big hitch, but that has been sold, so I can't help you out there. I spent 20 years with my O'day 25, but am currently sans boat. Thinking about a Day Sailor again when I finally retire. I envy you, and wish you well. I wish you would consider the blog, or at least regular "ride" reports here. I understand your calling......have always longed for "a tall ship, and a star to steer her by".

Fair winds to you Tom...And may all your jibes be the controlled kind!!

Envious as well. Still have a few friends with a boat in the water that keeps me in the game...my 22' is drydocked in my yard needing a rehab and I dismantled my dad's 1940's 18' Dutchman after Hurricane Ike damaged it beyond hope. My oldest brother has a 43' Scepter (?) up in Puget Sound that I still have not been on...May try to make that happen after the Rally this year.

Keep us posted as the sails unfurl :thumb

Back