• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding to Daytona bike week

P

Peggy

My husband & I are going to be riding to bike week, we are coming from Washington state so we won't be camping is there a good place to stay nearby? Also if there are some people out there that could keep us updated on the weather or good quick routes around heavy traffic areas it would be appreciated. We will be heading to I-5 south to I-10 then east onto Daytona :brad

My husband & I are going to be riding to bike week, we are coming from Washington state so we won't be camping is there a good place to stay nearby? Also if there are some people out there that could keep us updated on the weather or good quick routes around heavy traffic areas it would be appreciated. We will be heading to I-5 south to I-10 then east onto Daytona :brad

You folks are going to have a long ride, but I figure you know that already. I can give you my opinion from Houston East. Others may differ.

Take I-10 thru Houston (no loop)
Go thru Lake Charles (no loop)
Pick up I-12 at Baton Rouge JUST OVER BRIDGE after crossing the Mississippi River (pay attention to signs)
Pick I-10 back up at Slidell (just keep going straight)
Take I-10 to Jacksonville, but take the loop South, then East to I-95
I-95 South to Daytona

OR

I like to go South at I-75, Lake City Fla
Pick up Hwy 40E at Ocala (nice break from all that interstate)
Follow Hwy 40 & roads leading to I-95

Have a safe ride!:thumb

See ya there!!!:dance

Last edited:
Motels/Hotels in Daytona will be priced higher than those in the surrounding communities. Look for lodging about 20 miles from Daytona for better prices during bike week. Sanford & Titusville might be good options or even Orlando as it is only 45 miles from Daytona and there is all types of lodging in and around Orlando. Ride Safe Hope to see you there. :usa :usa

If the last Biketober was any indication, than there should be no issues finding some lodging. Staying outside Daytona is key. I stay in the Ocala area (camping in the forrest) and ride SR 40 into Daytona for the madness... There are motels in that area too. Have fun!!:dance

Bike Week

I hope to be going over from Houston beginning on Mar 1st. What's your timing?

I checked Expedia last night and lodging didn't look like a problem at all...other than the cost.

Straightforward route on I-10...the only curves I recall are in far west Texas! And there's no good way around Houston that avoids traffic during rush hours, so try to make it mid-day. I like the suggestion to get off the Interstate once in Fl.

due to the economy, there have been numerous vacancy signs up and down A1A in daytona beach. you may just cruise along there first to get a sense of what's available before staying further away.

just up the road is st. augustine, which is a great little community with lots of lodging. this lets you commute to bikeweek via A1A, which goes right alongside the ocean for most of the way.

here is a backroad suggestion for getting you to daytona.... the heck with interstates.

- take I-75 south from I-10

- take the US90 exit, go east through Lake City and turn south/right on FL100

- note: the speed limit on FL100 is 55... *not* 100 (DAMHIKT)

- FL100 will take you all the way to Bunnell, where you will then head south on US1, which will take you to Daytona.

this is a nice florida 2-lane ride.

ian

Last edited:
To add to the above: Bunnell has some nice little motels and going toward the coast from the Bunnell exit is Flagler Beach where there are reasonable motels. If in Flagler Beach or riding through on a Friday, be sure to stop at the Pier, then walk to the Local Farmers Market which is the best I have ever been seen. If you stay in either of the above, you will have the opportunity to spend time with other Beemer people at Holiday Park where we will be camping and making whoopie.

Bike Week

It has been cold and it was wet yesterday in Daytona. Lots of Vacancy signs on the strip hotels. My first visit to the HD "Destination" just off of I-95. That is the biggest dealership I have ever seen. They even have an escalator to the 2nd floor of the place. Lots of vendors there too. That place had a shuttle service taking people to/from the bike parking lot. You can get your bike hopped up, then move it over to the airbrush shop for some special decoration; all while you get fitted for those new leathers and engrave yourself with that new tatoo. The only thing I didn't see was the valet that takes the bike off of the trailer for you. What will they think of next?

Back