• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Question on R1200RT horn - suggestions?

Chop that pathetic stock horn out and install a Stebel. It's the first thing I do with a new bike. My 08 GS has ESA and I really had to shoehorn the thing in but I've got a 140 decibel Stebel in. It will open the eyes of the most indifferent cager.

Count me on the side of "what good is a horn anyway?" It's all over should you think you need to use it. If it broke, I wouldn't know it until the next state inspection. And the RT switchgear is so weird I'd need to practice for an hour anyway. Even the hi beam switch is non-ergonomic with gloves on- too small , not textured and too stiff. First bike I've owned where essentially all the switchgear sucks from an ergo standpoint but the rest of the bike makes up for it. For some reason, cars don't cut me off-only had 1 make a slightly inept lane change in my direction in the last couple years and I anticipated it - no drama. A couple have pulled out from intersections a wee bit tight but nothing dangerous...I just run the HID add on lights in those spots now. More worried about drunks/druggies and the distracted crossing the center, etc on country roads- we've got a lot of those little crosses lining country roads around here and several dealers selling 49 cc"liquor cicles"as they're called here that are a pretty good indication of how many inebriates not yet caught are out there- a horn wouldn't do any good.

Of course, I don't live in or near Boston and run 93 into town anymore either....
That was a lot more "entertaining" than here in NC.

Chop that pathetic stock horn out and install a Stebel. It's the first thing I do with a new bike. My 08 GS has ESA and I really had to shoehorn the thing in but I've got a 140 decibel Stebel in. It will open the eyes of the most indifferent cager.

Will the stebel (and which one do you use) fit in the spot Semper Fi indicated? At will it hook up easily?

I have the Stebel Magnum on my R1200GS and it fit on without any mods.
I have read of the Stebel Nautilus being louder but not lasting a long time.

I saw a Stebel and it looked just like the $40 , 139 decibel "Bad Boy" I bought at Meijer. There is an all chrome version out there also but not very useful , covered by a RT fairing. They are loud though, wow. I , too , use the brakes first, and end up rarely using the horn, but at least I have it now, when I really do need it.

The 2008 RT has an unused wire harnes that you can add a second oem horn.

A plug and play operation:

Here is the location of the extra connector (you can almost see it if you remove the left mirror and look towards the frame mount

DSC02919.jpg

Here is where it would mount:
DSC02917.jpg

Here is how it looks mounted
DSC02921.jpg

Mounted view with plastic on
DSC04147.jpg

The parts you will need
HornPartsCost.jpg

Complexity of work - remove plastic and front nacelle of which we have DIY's for:

Plastic Removal - note you only need to remove the two outer panels not everything

Link for removing the front headlight nacelle

Many thanks for this great post. I printed it, took it to my dealer, they ordered the parts, installed them today, and I now have a LOUD horn! This is a must-have upgrade for an RT.

I just installed the FIAMM Highway Blasters (both high and low tones) on my R1100RT. It sounds like an old Buick now. Just what I wanted.IMG_1127.JPG

When I need my horn I turn my left turn signal on.

When I first got my Goldwing, I repeatedly scared the crap out of myself by hitting the horn button while trying to hit the left turn signal. Took a while to get used to having one switch. :doh

Horn

Thanks for sharing, this two tone upgrade is big improvement. Canadian parts are more but ar least installation is DIY. Highly recomended over relays and some aftermarket products. Why did they change it when it was OK in the first place? So we can have fun?

I got the Stebel Nautilus and it mounted on the same spot the OEM pancake mounted. Wired it up with a good relay (Bosch of course) and all is good. As I recall I paid around $39 for the Stebel.
Edit to add:
There is little or no delay in the horn sounding off when I hit the button, unlike some air horns that wait for the compressor to come up to speed.

Semper Fi (Luis) ,

I might be starved for oxygen up here at altitude in the Sierras, but your excellent pictorial on the horn installation shows one horn and the parts list shows two horns (hi and low). Before I order, could you help me understand the difference? With two horns ordered I assume one replaces the pitiful stock pancake horn on my 2009 RT and the other is added as shown. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Stan Moore
Lake Tahoe, CA

Horn

I will be installing a Stebel eventually on my RT but I will need a relay and several hours to take of the plastic and tank... Will have to wait

I will be installing a Stebel eventually on my RT but I will need a relay and several hours to take of the plastic and tank... Will have to wait

No tank removal necessary. In fact I installed my Stebel without removing any tupperware at all. Just reach up behind the front wheel, remove the old horn and mount the Stebel in the same location. No hassle at all.

Count me on the side of "what good is a horn anyway?" It's all over should you think you need to use it. If it broke, I wouldn't know it until the next state inspection.
Despite this being a thread about louder, better, deeper more melodic horns, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on this one. I don't recall ever using the horn on my RT except one time when I was curious about how it sounded. As I recall, it seemed loud enough ÔÇö an ugly, squawking sound to be sure, but good enough considering that I've never had much use for it in the first place.

I've noticed that vehicle horn use often differs from one region to another. Around here, it's rare to hear anyone use a horn. Honking a horn is considered to be a bit rude and will result in dirty looks from other drivers. I've been in places ÔÇö large cities mostly ÔÇö where non-stop horn honking seems to be the norm. Personally, I like it quiet. ;)

In this area we are inundated with bicycle vermin. I toot my horn as I approach from the rear as they tend to swerve into the vehicle lanes without warning or reason.

Back