• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hawaii Bound

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
On our way back from New Zealand. We'll be in Hilo for a week at the end of January.

Any BMW riders willing to let us borrow your bike for a trip around the block?
Sure will be fun to say we've ridden a BMW in 50 states.

Voni
sMiling

No BMW dealer anywhere AND the HD dealer in Hilo is out of business!

Voni
sMiling

That's our fall back position, but I sure would love it to be a BMW ; )

Voni
sMiling

Two wheels or four..get up to the Volcano National Park..it is awesome! Good luck on finding the scoot...and have fun!

Riding in Hawaii

I started riding HD's. Hawaii was my 50th state on a HD. I now also ride BMW's and I rode on while I was there also. Now I will get 50 states on a BMW> Rented the bikes from Big Kahuna on Oahu, not where you will be. They had an R1150R with the most squared off tires of all time! Good luck in your quest.

KLR rentals on Kona side

We went on an awesome bike tour on a KLR with Big Island Adventure. Tom, the German Hawaiian tour guide, was more into riding than touring. We did over 300 miles, Volcano park, to the top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa! We rode hard and had a blast! That was our 50th state...

His number (we saw it on the side of his KLR in Kailua):
808- 217-3549

Two wheels or four..get up to the Volcano National Park..it is awesome! ............................./QUOTE]

I am sure the 3 tourists that rode bicycles down the chain of craters road and were trying to ride back up with no water or food might disagree, they had a 16 mile 4000' climb ahead.

I stopped at the rangers station to alert them of the potential problem, as they had started walking their bikes about a mile up from the bottom, small rental car I had would not have been much help.

In Hilo Now

Well, we survived a (too) quick two week tour in New Zealand with Ted Simon and Fred Rau, and we are now in Hilo on the Big Island for the next week. We failed to find an MOA member who would let use accomplish a BMW ride in our 50th state but did find a BMW owner who is selling his bike who agreed to let us do a ceremonial ride. After that if we want to actually tour we'll rent scooters or a Harley over in Kona. Nothing available on this side of the island we are told.

Voni Paul, whats the logistics to get them there? from Houston? LOL..
ONly thing is ya gotta bring em back!

WIsh I could help yall, but I will play the lotto tonight....crosses fingers Eyes... etc..

HEy ON Craigs list (HAWAII) they have some really sweet deals on some bikes, but ya never know, maybe they are a member and one is a sweet boxer. needs some TLC..

ALso a R1100GS <38K 5500.. YA can test drive it as soon as ya say yalls names..

Heck Guys if your ever in Houston way, come on down. The digs arent the beverly hillbillies, but I know where there is a cement pond! Just gotta climb over a fence...

thats a good question and does the throttle - is it on the left side?

LOL
!

Thanks, everyone! Hawaii is magnificent. My cousin lives near Hilo and his backyard is a wonderful rainforest so we fall asleep to Couqui frogs and wake to birds calling.

I found a wonderful new friend who is selling his '82 R100 who let us take it for a test ride! So now we've ridden in our 50th state, been[paddling with my cousin's outrigger canoe team, have eaten wonderful food, and have an experienced guide to the rest of the Big Island.

Life is good even as a pedestrian!

Voni
sMiling 50 state rider!

Glad to hear you two are having a good time, and congrats on the 50th state!!!!

Dad & I wish you a wonderful time and a big hello!

Ken & Wayne

Back