• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Charger

Alex, the shunt is a copper strip with a connection encased at the middle. On my installation, I bent the copper so it pretty much follows the contour of the battery. I think the copper is a bit on the thin side, but it hasn't shown any tendency to vibrate/crack.

If power suddenly failed, it's an easy fix to remove the cable from the end of the shunt, and connect it back to the negative battery terminal. If the shunt fractured, I'm thinking the meter would go dead, which would be a good indication of where to look.

pmdave

If power suddenly failed, it's an easy fix to remove the cable from the end of the shunt, and connect it back to the negative battery terminal.

That would worry me and is why I asked the question, especially when pulling out of an intersection and it quitting half-way through. But copper being soft, it might not be a problem. I would make sure it does not move by maybe mounting it on a non-conductive board.

BTW, I checked their site and the voltmeter goes up to 19.9V but just because it has a decimal digit, I'm not going to assume it increments in 0.1V steps. Does it? ie, 13.9V, 14.0V, 14.1V, 14.2V...

Yes, it reads in tenths. If the voltage is halfway between, it bounces back and forth. IOW, if voltage is say 13.95, the LCD meter reads 13.9 then 14.0, then 13.9

I don't usually see much bouncing. When on the ACI charger it sits steady at 13.7. With the engine running it sits mostly steady on 14.1

pmdave

He's dead, Jim

According to Odyssey that charger won't revive a drained battery.

As mentioned in 31495's previous post, the charger thinks the battery is dead and didn't even try to charge it.

The BT jr isn't supposed to work for this and the other one never attempted to charge the battery so it's no surprise the battery didn't take a charge.

I've got a "smart charger" in addition to the BT jr. It looks a lot like the charger recommended by Odyssey. My charger goes thru "bulk mode", "absorption mode" and finally float. After 4hrs on that charger, the LED flashes "BAD BAT".

I killed the battery, my own fault. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions, comment and etc. I've place an order for a new PC680 with Beiter Battery. I should have it on Tuesday.

Thanks all ! Hope to meet y'all at the National Rally in PA.

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than I, if you don't mind

I currently have a bmw charger that plugs into the bike at the seat. The dealer recently installed a 2 pin connector to the batt for me

Is there an adapter from the present cigarette type male to the bike that converts to a 2 pin so I can circumvent the handshake on my old charger?

Mine has the cig lighter type connector and I'd like to convert that to 2 pin without having to buy another charger.

Thanks in advance

Bike r/r

Wondering why there's so much concern over external chargers/maintainers when the vast majority of charging comes from our bikes while we're riding. Clearly all variety and vintage of motorcycle charging systems don't come close to the specs modern "designer" chargers embrace.

Wondering why there's so much concern over external chargers/maintainers when the vast majority of charging comes from our bikes while we're riding. Clearly all variety and vintage of motorcycle charging systems don't come close to the specs modern "designer" chargers embrace.

I had a new battery installed this week. Drove the bike home, riding it for an hour, some highway included. I put the tender on and it took an hour for the red charge light to go out, then another 8 to cycle through the 1/3 and 2/3 yellow lights before going green.

I've heard the bikes charging system never really fully charges the batts. elsewhere and I'd rather have the tender on the batt keeping it maintained at 100% which will allow the batt to last longer, IMO.

All the newer bikes have electronic engine management that puts a small parasitic load on the battery. So "off" is not 100% off. The battery maintainers ensure that the battery does not get discharged.

Welcome to the forum!
Almost all the the newer high performance vehicles have a number of computer controlled functions that draw power.......as mentioned, continuously. If in a medium climate a weekly ride probably takes care of charging requirements. If left to monthly, as cold and icy as it is here now, it just beats the crap out of the battery, shortening it’s life.
As always, YMMV
enjoy the forum.
Gary

Back