• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My 1974 R75/6 story

Didn't have time to do the steering bearings yet.. Life and other projects get in the way. But, here's a cell phone shot from my ride yesterday.

30027_10150195703430191_576805190_13020017_2504140_n.jpg

:dance

Here's another crappy cell phone pic from another weekend ride:

32217_10150198009450191_576805190_13095876_7771379_n.jpg

Oh, maybe I should ask this elsewhere, as it's pertinent to all airheads, but:

Where can I get the rubber do-dads that cover the electrical/cable connections at the handlebars (ie #8 in this diagram)?

B0000606.png

Oh, maybe I should ask this elsewhere, as it's pertinent to all airheads, but:

Where can I get the rubber do-dads that cover the electrical/cable connections at the handlebars (ie #8 in this diagram)?

B0000606.png

I don't know that it covers any electrical stuff, but #8 looks like the the little cover for the two throttle cables.

Try Hucky's. Look here. Search the page for "32 73 1 230 037".

I don't know that it covers any electrical stuff, but #8 looks like the the little cover for the two throttle cables.

Try Hucky's. Look here. Search the page for "32 73 1 230 037".

Yeah, just any electrical/cable connections at the handlebars.. All of mine is original (ie, cracked or missing).

Edit: thanks for the link. I'll get some stuff from him soon. Still looking for the electrical connection (starter/horn) covers, though.

replacing rubber bits

I bought my replacement throttle cable covers, front brake switch, perch wedges, factory handgrips all at Max BMW. They seem to have the parts in stock or get them quickly because they arrive fast.

Still looking for the electrical connection (starter/horn) covers, though.

I bought my replacement throttle cable covers, front brake switch, perch wedges, factory handgrips all at Max BMW. They seem to have the parts in stock or get them quickly because they arrive fast.

Ah ha! Yes, now I find them. I had to cross-reference Huckys for the part number, search it on Max's fiche and verify it.

I was looking for part 61311351646 (#3);

B0001751.png

Never thought to look in the horn fiche.. kept looking in teh handlebar/control diagrams.

Drummer..what a story. You didn't mention the school you were attending. Was it the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. Anyway you sure kept a good log of what happened along the way. I picked up a 78/7 that I can only get to run at full throttle, and then for just a shot time. Hoping to get to spend some time on it this summer. I know I'll have many questions as I get into it. Great Job Drummer Dude

Drummer..what a story. You didn't mention the school you were attending. Was it the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. Anyway you sure kept a good log of what happened along the way. I picked up a 78/7 that I can only get to run at full throttle, and then for just a shot time. Hoping to get to spend some time on it this summer. I know I'll have many questions as I get into it. Great Job Drummer Dude

This bike's been a piece of cake.. The R90's been a bigger chore, but I like the tinkerin'.

Sounds like you need a carb rebuild. Good luck.

So, I've been flogging the ol' girl pretty hard lately. 1000+ mile weekends every weekend for a while now.

..on the return trip from The Penngrove Power-Up, it was acting extra farty.

I'd be pulling along at 85 and it'd fart with an instantaneous infinitessimal loss of power.. then keep going. A little backfire, maybe.

I made an 850 miles loop, and towards the end, it was doing this more, but still not an incredible amount. Yesterday, I went to go on another loop, and when I starter it up, fartfart-poppop-pop-pop-pop-fart-wheeze. I adjusted the valves, started it up again, and same story. Increased throttle would make the pops louder but not much more frequent.

I have a theory, well two, but; what does the collective think?

what's the plugs look like?

BTW, on the steering bearings, mine had a flat spot turning the wheel to the left. Pulled the 2 plugs on the front of the stem and crammed as much grease that would fit. Plug something in the bottom of the stem while working the grease in. Temporary fix but the flat spot isn't as noticeable.

BTW, on the steering bearings, mine had a flat spot turning the wheel to the left. Pulled the 2 plugs on the front of the stem and crammed as much grease that would fit. Plug something in the bottom of the stem while working the grease in. Temporary fix but the flat spot isn't as noticeable.

Yeah, I'm probably going to replace them "while I'm there" when I get back to my shop in August.. not too tough of a job, did it on my R90 with no real complications. But, if they look good still, I'll just grease them. I don't think I have the 2 plugs on the stem..

Torn diaphragm(s) and/or a slipped needle notch. Possibly a fuel delivery ugly. I discovered how much a difference it makes just replacing the brass in the carbs (main jets, aireator, idle jets, etc.). Of course, I'm still procrastinating on doing the butterfly o-rings.

Good to hear you are stacking on the miles though. :thumb

The reason I've initially ruled out torn diaphragms is; when my diaphragms were torn previously, the bike wouldn't exceed 65 no matter how much throttle.

I'll tear into the bike one of these evenings and report back. Actually, I think the chicks dig it as much as I do.. Last time I adjusted the valves, I had 4 different girls stop and talk about the bike as they were walking past..

Actually, I think the chicks dig it as much as I do.. Last time I adjusted the valves, I had 4 different girls stop and talk about the bike as they were walking past..

You dawwwg .... there's nothing wrong with your bike at all ... is there.
icon_wink.gif

Fuel uglies for sure... float bowl grunge, coming and going, as it sloshes around? I had a main jet plug up, off and on, for about half an hour before I finally made myself tear apart the carb; a bit of grit had lodged itself into the orifice. I replaced my in-line filters.

Stock ignition or Dyna III? If it were the Dyna, I'd suggest the ground between the "points" plate under the timing chest is beginning to loose its ground. Or one of the sensors is starting to give up the ghost.

Back