• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

After market windshields on K1200GT

J

jamespyke

I have tried the original BMW stock windshield. Noisy (I never wore earplugs before), lots of wind in the eyes (I wear a modular helmet but prefer the shield open with sunglasses) and the passenger finds more wind "pushing her around". So I tried a CeeBailey 2"taller and 4" wider windshield. Same noise problem, If I run with the windshield full up I end up looking through the windshield (not what I want), somewhere in the middle of the range seems to work best but still much windier on the arms and elbows. Neither seems to create a pocket of calm air to ride in. Previous bike was an FJR1300 with the CeeBailey taller and wider windshield. We both wore 1/2 helmets and never wore earplugs or face shields. Help, I need to get this problem solved to enjoy this bike.

Jim

Charlotte NC

Your height and inseam might help, so others of similar stature can say what works for them.
Gilly

Hopefully someone taller chimes in. I am 5'9" and a 31 inseam, so I am riding a lot lower than you are.
Gilly

You may want to check out aeroflow - here is the link Aeroflow Link

If i were to go from stock I would check these guys out first.

I ride solo, as my wife has her own bike, but would like to see a little less turbulance.

Also have a modular helmet but ride with the faceshield open to crakced depending on temps

After Market Windshields

I've also got the CeeBaileys windshield on my GT mostly because I have their shield on
my R1100RT. What a mistake on the GT. Like you To much wind noise in any position and looking through it when it's all the way up.
I recently meet a rider with the aeroflow shield and comparing the two shields, the aeroflow has the required flip at the top, the sides are tapered towards the top and it
just looks more fitting on the GT. imo.

Carl
BMWMOA 11500

I'm 6'6", with 35" inseam and I'm not planning to change the windshield at all. What might be different is that I have the bars adjusted all the way down, placing my head lower and more forward. (flashbacks of '70s cafe racers)

I'm looking just over the top of the windshield when it is full up. Using a full coverage helmet, I leave the visor open at all speeds below highway, even though my eyes are very wind sensitive.

On an R1150 (just sold) and an R1150RT, we had/have the Parabellum +4", and they both worked for us.

Aftermarket Windshields for 1200GT

Thanks for all of your replies so far. Has anyone ever tried modifiying a windshield, by placing it in the oven and altering the lip on the top?? I know it can be done and you need a big enough oven, the right temperature and some sort of tool to work with. Real good pair of oven mitts are a must too. As I have ridden along, I sometimes (with the cruise on) hold both my hands over the top edge of the stock windshield angled forward about 45 degrees from the stock shield and it is perfectly quite. It seems to me that if I could mold a kick-out to the top of the shield that would be the trick.

Comments??

Putting your windshield in the oven would not be good. That's only my opinion.

I have a 1300gt with the adjustable windshield. I'm also 6' not sure of my inseam but my legs look normal. I bought a deflector from some where but it looked stupid so I took the mounts off it and bought a couple pieces of acrylic. One piece had the same coating as the windshield and the other was the "plain" acrylic. After cutting the pieces to the shape I put them in the oven. I tried to match the curvature of the windshield. Both pieces have what I would call micro cracks, super fine lines the can only be seen in the sun and at the right angle. The clarity of the pieces also decreased sightly.
But the wind deflection is what I was after and it works great. I can also lower the windshield and easily look over with very little noise.

PC310013.jpg

I'm 6' 5" and bought a K1200GT fitted with a ZTechnik screen. The noise was torture with a System 5 and custom earplugs with any position of screen or handlebars.

Went back to stock which was a little better but not great. Switched to a Wunderlich lower screen which is much better. Raising the seat up some more put me into the comfort zone.

My experience has always been to go lower and get my head into some clean air,
not higher sitting behind a 'sail'. FWIW!

Re altering the top lip, isn't there a company that makes a foil of some type that would do this? I can't remember if it would work on "any" stock windshield, or you may need to buy that particular companies windshield. Either clamps to the top or there are holes in this companies' 'shield which allow it to be attached and as I recall it can be adjusted for angle.
Of course the Cee Bailey already has what you are talking about, the small flip on top, and they have many different sizes. Be sure to research what these companies consider the "stock" height though. The US has a slightly taller 'shield than "the rest of the world", so if you order a +2 for example, make sure it is actually 2" taller than you have right now. You can probably order a Cee B and be pretty happy with it if it is ordered correctly, many height/width options.
Gilly

My experience has always been to go lower and get my head into some clean air,
not higher sitting behind a 'sail'. FWIW!

I find this to be true, also. I have 2 good areas; head down low (typical BMW semi-tuck position) and screen all the way up (good for cold weather).
OR screen all the way down, and a more upright posture, BUT with my old Synchrotec helmet, I have to have the visor opened, it is then very quiet as well. With the visor shut, I really "need" the earplugs. If I forgot to put in earplugs, I really need to have the visor open or the noise is tremendous. Luckily I wear glasses so my eyes are protected.
A little hassle, the bike makes up for it in other ways:thumb.

AeroFlow

For anybody out there with the Aeroflow screen. Do you have the small deflectors also? Do you look over or through the screen?

Thanks Jim

Responses and Summary

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have sent an email to Aeroflow and I think I would like to try one of their systems. As posted by others, its not only that the screen needs to be bigger, wider, taller but that it needs to have a different shape at the top to do its job. I've seen the add on deflector and maybe it works dunno, but like I said I think I will pursue the Aeroflow for now. Their system looks like an integrated deflector as they are separating the air stream and throwing it over your head. It surprises me that I seem to be one of the few that is not impressed with the comfort and protection provided by the standard screen or the CeeBailey, maybe you guys have never experienced how peaceful and quite a ride can be, behind a good screen. And I don't mean a barn door........For the life of me I can't imagine riding sans helmet at any speed with the present screens.

Jim

Tourist

Maybe "Tourist" needs to patent his mod and sell it to the rest of us....

Jim

Maybe "Tourist" needs to patent his mod and sell it to the rest of us....

Jim

I'm more of an infringe king. The first ghetto try to curve it in the oven didn't come out as a smooth arc, second try a little better. I also scuffed the surface of the first try so I cut that one in half and used them as my side deflectors.
The place I got the acrylic from cut the shape of it from a piece of paper I traced on the top of the windshield. They used some scape quarter inch thick stock and cut me two of them for ten bucks. The brackets cost hundred bucks. Brought the stupid MRA visor, (hoped it would work) . I would try to get the brackets as a repair item maybe a little cheaper than buying a visor. The mounting brackets are nice, and you can adjust then to lay flat, I question the durability. So far, so good.

Wind noise

While the Aeroflow may work for some I've not had any luck with it. I don't know if its due to a trade off of some sort but beemers seem to generate a lot of wind noise while at the same time being super stable at speed and returning much better mileage than comparable competitors bikes. For my money, instead of chasing silence through hardware I would invest it in a good helmet and earplugs.

Peter

I have the Aeroflow screen and the fairing-mounted deflectors and I LOVE this windshield! It was a fairly big job (2+ hours) to install it carefully allowing time for the bump-ons and other adhesive elements to set-up properly, but once done it's great and looks great.
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam and, depending on how aggressively I'm riding and my body position, I can always find a "quiet" setting. I always wear either ear plugs or in-ear speakers (Shure SE420s) when riding.
I highly recommend the Aeroflow!

Please ride safely!

Peter

Back