• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Royal Enfield

OK, the pictures are sure cute and I have a dealer nearby (much, much closer than my neighborhood BMW dealer), so I'm toying with the idea of a Royal Enfield as a possible commuter bike and spouse toy. Has anyone in the forum had any real experience with these bikes?

If airheads weren't so popular, I would have went that route.

I came very close to purchasing a new one this last year. But........after doing a lot of reading posts from owners on the web, I talked myself out of it. I love the way they look but these bikes can have a great number of problems and the Royal Enfield dealer is about 50 miles away. The newly introduced, fuel injected models may eliminate some of the problems but not enough to get me to bite. If you have a dealer near you and good parts availability, the Enfield looks like it might be a fun bike to own. Good luck with your decision.

They are relatively popular around here. I have coffee with the local dealer who sells them out of his home; he rides them in all sorts of weather and with and without a side car (he's a Rounder). From what I can gather the newer bikes with fuel injection are easy to start and are dependable. I think they have an upgraded transmission as well. They seem popular with older riders, smaller people including women and new riders because of their ease of operation and weight. Sorry, I cannot offer first hand owner/rider info.

The looks of the Enfield really "wow" me, but then I find retro or classic bikes the best looking. Of course the Enfield is not retro as it has never changed! Pete Egan states how the bike is better than it once was in an article he wrote.

I owned a 2001 model for 8 years.Fun little bike,got about 70 mpg.Easy to maintane.top speed was about 70mph,sweet spot was 45-50.I never had any engine or tranny issues.But fender stays would break due to vibs,bolts would work loose.Chrome was poor quality and pits easily.The drum brakes would slow you down(new models have front disk).Classic motor works(main importer)have a nice website with members area,nice store for parts and accessories.I've not rode the new model with fuel injection,but old models were like an overgrown moped.Still a fun bike for around town and country roads.

I haven't seen one of these yet, but I tell you what retro bike impressed me... The Triumph Bonneville. Great retro vibe, with good power & brakes. Needs a custom pipe though, too quiet. I have 1/2 a mind to buy one & REALLY retro it out, bobber style... :bottle

+ 1 on Triumphs!. I have a 1999 K1200LT as my traveling bike but picked up a 2008 Scrambler with 730 miles on it for $6k in September.

It's a fun bike and you'll have conversation with many people wherever you stop who have a story about old Triumphs.

Good power and I haven't read about any real issues with reliability or experienced any problems either.

Joe

Here's a pic .I sold her and got my 1st airhead.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 130
Back