• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wurth SIG-3000 (spline lube)

mikewillison

Could someone tell me where to find this grease? It is not available in Canada. I would like to use Paul Glaves spline lube mixture. A 50/50 mix with Honda Moly 60. No problem finding the Moly 60 but I am unable to locate the SIG-3000.
Thanks very much..........

Mike from Canada

Thanks Paul
They do sell SIG-3000.
Unfortunately MG cycle will only ship to Canada via courier. Not via USPS.
Brokerage fees charged by couriers are a real killer for us Canadians. I am still hoping to find a supplier that will ship to Canada through the Postal Service. (no brokerage fees involved)
Mike

Thanks Paul
They do sell SIG-3000.
Unfortunately MG cycle will only ship to Canada via courier. Not via USPS.
Brokerage fees charged by couriers are a real killer for us Canadians. I am still hoping to find a supplier that will ship to Canada through the Postal Service. (no brokerage fees involved)
Mike

Cheaper than an input shaft, I'd bet.

W??rth Canada

Mike,

Give W??rth Canada a try at 1-800-263-5002. There was no aswer today...lazy bums that they are. :laugh

I'm trying to source W??rth Exhaust Assembly Paste for the P car.

I've heard that their products rate very highly.

Alex
Thanks for the input
I have already tried Wurth Canada.
SIG-3000 is unavailable here.
They did say that they were sorry though...........
If all else fails I will go through MGcycle & pay the brokerage fee. :(
Mike

Alex

I have already tried Wurth Canada.
SIG-3000 is unavailable here.
They did say that they were sorry though...........

Mike

Thanks Mike,

In that case I won't even bother trying to get the Exhaust Assembly Paste up here. I've got a large US order going out any day now.

And business up here wonders why I order 95% of my motorcycle and car parts and accessories from the US.

Alex:

Mike, at Pcar Workshop, says the 993 exhaust can be done without the paste.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum/542109-exhaust-paste.html

Yes, I read a comment to that effect.

The question I have is, what does the assembly paste do?

Does it prevent binding/stiction of the donut against the flares of the pipes so that when the clamp is tightened down, everything settles and slides into place nicely.

Some have mentioned they had issues getting the exhaust to seal, even after a few tries.

Thanks! New vehicle...got to start all over learning again.

I would just sent Mike an e-mail; I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help out.

Good luck.

...got to start all over learning again...

It seems to be a never ending process, but an interesting one.

I got a shipping quote (ups) to Ontario Canada for 1 tube of SIG-3000 from MGcycle today.

"Hello Mike,
Best guess on shipping cost is 30-35 USD or thereabouts. It's true we
do not use the post, you can read all about it on the website.
Gordon
MG CYCLE"

I knew that it would not be cheap but holy crap!
There has got to be another mail order source.
Anybody.................:dunno

Thanks to those who offered help on my expensive shipping issue here.
Looks like the best solution is to have it shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY.
Cheaper to drive (1 hour) down there & pick it up.
Thanks again........

wurth 3000 grease

Could someone tell me where to find this grease? It is not available in Canada. I would like to use Paul Glaves spline lube mixture. A 50/50 mix with Honda Moly 60. No problem finding the Moly 60 but I am unable to locate the SIG-3000.
Thanks very much..........

Mike from Canada

Mike
No problems buying grease I have been using this grease for years.I buy it locally in Fredericton NB from a supplier
Rod

Ok, hoping (foolishly) to not feel ignorant, I did a search and read (the first line anyway) of every PGlaves post on the forum, and I cannot find it.

WHY does Paul prefer a 50/50 mix of Honda and Wurth spline lubes ???.
Not one or the other but both?

P.S. What is the deal? Is it illegal to mail gooey stuff to Canada or what?

Over the course of lots of splines on lots of bikes for lots of miles I have sought a better spline lubricant than had been available. BMW's recommendations were all over the place over time, ranging from copper anti-seize to Optimoly paste, to Stabarugs paste, to BMW #10 red grease (essentially Texaco Starplex). This latter stuff would melt, drip, and run in the cartridge on the shelf and was very poor for splines.

One tried and almost true alternative was Honda Moly 60 which is a moly paste with 60% powdered moly solids. My experience on K75/K100 driveshafts (which have a deserved reputation for significant wear) and on clutch hub splines on Airheads, K bikes, and Oilheads was that the HM60 dried out too quickly and lacked sufficient anti-corrosion properties. It also doesn't cushion as well as a sticky heavy [Edit: extreme pressure rated] grease.

Wurth SIG 3000 is a very sticky, heavy, Lithium based grease. It doesn't dry out, stays in place pretty well, has good anti-corrosion characteristics, and cushions things pretty well. But it lacks moly (MoS2 - Molybdenum disulfide) which provides excellent boundary layer lubrication.

I concluded that 60% moly wasn't necessary so mixed the two, 50-50, providing a still heavy sticky grease with 30% moly solids content. I used it for many years.

For those not wishing to play lubrication chemist, Guard Dog Moly in Houston offers a pre-packaged heavy sticky grease with 30% moly solids. It is their GD525 moly grease. They also sell a 70% moly paste and moly gear oil additives. I am currently using both their gear oil additive in all of our transmissions and final drives, as well as their GD525 grease for clutch and driveshaft splines. It also works well on twin-shock Airhead wheel splines.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in Guard Dog, and buy their products when I need them. But Ben Mathes, the President, has called me a couple of times with specific questions about BMW and other motorcycles and their seals, splines, etc. For example, he had a specific thickener in mind that might be unkind to oil seals. When I explained where the engine crankshaft seal and transmission input shaft seal were in relation to the clutch splines he went with an alternative thickener.

Last edited:
Back