Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing Vest for Christmas:)

Gerbing Vest for Christmas:)

I got the new "micro wire system" they've been advertising a lot and its quite nice. I have yet to ride with it, but the initial test in my garage proved worthy to me. I have been riding with heated vests for a long time, so I'm anxious to see another new one, with some exciting new tech with the wiring inside the vest. This new one DID warm quickly and i have it wired direct with on/off switch, no thermostat. I found this suitable for my style in my last BMW vest. I've had bad luck with poorly made thermostats in my past and the on/off thing works really swell for me. We'll see soon, with this new vest by Gerbing. My first Gerbing product. Randy

Rally Rat
    Congrats! Just curious, why the vest and not a jacket liner? Arms ever get cold? I have a Widder vest and wish it were full sleeved.

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I got the new "micro wire system" they've been advertising a lot and its quite nice. I have yet to ride with it, but the initial test in my garage proved worthy to me. I have been riding with heated vests for a long time, so I'm anxious to see another new one, with some exciting new tech with the wiring inside the vest. This new one DID warm quickly and i have it wired direct with on/off switch, no thermostat. I found this suitable for my style in my last BMW vest. I've had bad luck with poorly made thermostats in my past and the on/off thing works really swell for me. We'll see soon, with this new vest by Gerbing. My first Gerbing product. Randy
    Me too!!

Santa brought me a vest by Gerbings, and along with the thermostat (and hip holster), I am anxious for an early (and 'cool') Spring.

Just ordered the battery harness for it as well.

Winter is too long!

Randy, congrats on the new vest... as a Gerbing gear owner I think you will be investing in a Thermostat. In 30 degree weather at 70 mph I only need mine about 1/2 way up on the heat. Gerbing is a very good product and get HOT. you may get tired of turning your vest on and off all the time. good luck and enjoy. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Well;

My arms don't bother me in cold, if the vest is working right. No issue for my comfort, with vest only. MY wife does have the jacket liner by Gerbing and loves her arms in heat. I just don't need it. I ride to well below freezing and a good vest is good enough. I HAVE ridden now with the new vest and its true about the microwire tech and how it performs. QUICKER heat indeed. I may do a thermostat again, because in the 40+ degree ranges it gets too hot to keep full on. It needs a medium switch, not a full blown thermostat. From the 30s and on to colder temps the full on is perfect for my liking. It appears to be my best vest in a long line of them(other brands). I LIKE...Question? Anybody know how/where to find a off/medium, high DC switch. Randy

My lovely wife gave me a Gerbings liner also. I tried it today on our clubs NYD ride and all I can say is WOW! After 10 miles in 17* weather, I was turning it DOWN.
    I could not believe it. Microwire is way better than the old stuff!

PS-Greenwald, did you check all the pockets? I really thought they came with one- mine did.

Harrington
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    My arms don't bother me in cold, if the vest is working right. No issue for my comfort, with vest only. MY wife does have the jacket liner by Gerbing and loves her arms in heat. I just don't need it. I ride to well below freezing and a good vest is good enough. I HAVE ridden now with the new vest and its true about the microwire tech and how it performs. QUICKER heat indeed. I may do a thermostat again, because in the 40+ degree ranges it gets too hot to keep full on. It needs a medium switch, not a full blown thermostat. From the 30s and on to colder temps the full on is perfect for my liking. It appears to be my best vest in a long line of them(other brands). I LIKE...Question? Anybody know how/where to find a off/medium, high DC switch. Randy
    I always thought the Gerbing "thermostat" wasn't really a thermostat. I thought it would just turn the power on and off at different rates. BTW I swear by my permanently fixed Gerbing controller. I used the pocket controller for a while and it became a nuisance. I have the controller knob on the dash and the pigtail stubs out at the front of the seat. I tuck it undereneath in the summer.

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    My lovely wife gave me a Gerbings liner also. I tried it today on our clubs NYD ride and all I can say is WOW! After 10 miles in 17* weather, I was turning it DOWN.
    I could not believe it. Microwire is way better than the old stuff!

PS-Greenwald, did you check all the pockets? I really thought they came with one- mine did.
    Nope - nothing came with the vest except the vest. Had to order controller, holster and battery harness as accessories, but glad I did.

Better thank your dear wife a second time - I think she tossed in the $65 for the controller as well!

Be nice to her!!!

You shouldn't have to buy a battery harness. one comes with every piece of gear Gerbing sells. I bought two pair of gloves and two jacket liners. I received four battery harnesses total.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

We have purchased six pieces of Gerbing clothing and each piece came with a battery harness.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I got the Heated liner and the pants - both microwire. I already have Venture heated gloves. Cannot wait to try out the heated clothing. But I am currently on the disabled list as a nasty snowblower bit my finger (don't ask). Should be about another 3 weeks before I can ride. I can't wait to try out the Gerbings.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

I would advise a thermostat rather than a simple switch for two reasons

1) If you use a switch, you'll be turning it on and off a lot, a nuisance.
    2) If you use electric gloves you will want a dual thermostat rather than using the Y connector and a single thermostat becasue te adjustment settings are very different.
    If you are buying gloves, make sure they are plenty large- they tend to produce hot spots on the back of your knuckles if are too tight when they areset warm enough to keep your fingers warm enough.

We use two Gerbings sets on the RT and yes, I don't like the cost of a dual thermostat either. The passenger can often get by without heated gloves when the rider will want one becuase of passengers ability to shield hands from wind. We ride to temps into the high 20s, about as cold as it gets in this part of NC.

Microwire is way better than the old stuff!
    In what way?

I ride in sub-freezing temperatures, and I'm not talking about around the block and my old Gerbings (in fact, it was the Widder vest) worked fine. How much better than "comfortable" can it get?

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    In what way?
    I ride in sub-freezing temperatures, and I'm not talking about around the block and my old Gerbings (in fact, it was the Widder vest) worked fine. How much better than "comfortable" can it get?
    I had previously purchased an "old technology" jacket liner from ebay, which was a bit too small. However (before reselling it) I wore it on one occasion not long before thanksgiving because I needed it. Yes, it did work, and kept me comfortable, but the new microwire heats almost instantly, and seems to me to heat much better.

I rode in 17* weather yesterday, and after 9 miles had to turn it down to about half.

Just my experience.....

I had previously purchased an "old technology" jacket liner. Yes, it did work, and kept me comfortable, but the new microwire heats almost instantly, and seems to me to heat much better.
    Thanks, in that case I'm not going to worry about it.

An extra few seconds of warm-up time isn't a concern of mine on a 6 hour ride. Plus, you have to remember, a heat controller keeps a jacket liner at a given setting once it reaches it.

When my present Gerbings wears out, I'll consider what is on the market then.